Cast Iron

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dade,
I've seen briquettes used and I have used the glowing embers with mine. Briquettes have to be refreshed more often if you are cooking big dishes but they work fine for biscuits or thin cakes. It all depends on what you're cooking and what you have available. When no fires are allowed you can get away with using briquettes but not a fire to make embers.
I have used and continue to use both, my question was to gain clarity from the poster "Camalot"

Here is my ignorance showing, but why does it matter what the cook book says? I have plenty recipes that say charcoal and I just use wood embers. Admittedly it does take more finesse because you can't just drop 6 or 10 briquettes on top as the recipe dictates. Instead you use normal wood embers and yes sometimes they need replacing etc. You need to keep a closer eye on things. But the food cooks through none the less, and tastes just the same.

You're right but, I'd like my first tries to be more than burnt offerings! lol I prefer coals if I'm going to commit to this kind cooking. I have everything set up for it at my fire ring.

I love the trivets for the inside bottom of your Dutch ovens. I wish I had some. I generally use stones in place of a trivet.

And, i see you are an experienced campfire cook! One who cooks on campfire coals. I laugh every time I see a photo of someone cooking over campfire flames. I say to myself, "Show me your finished meal, I bet it's burnt!"

You can make custom trivets from perforated sheet steel with the edges rolled down to create the desired gap from the pot base.

Yep - that last picture shows a good campfire system for dutch ovens:

1) The actual fire is on the left - where new fuel is added and stays until it has burned down to good coals - it is also where coals are re energized
2) The small dutch oven in the middle is cooking bread - so it needs coals below, beside and on top - in contact with the oven
3) The large dutch oven on the right is slow cooking meat - so it is suspended above good coals with an air gap. The tramel it is hanging from can also be used to adjust heat - especially if the wind picks up

The most frequently used tool for dutch oven cooking is just outside that image frame - it is a full sized shovel used to move the coals around.

Fuel/heat starts at the left and is moved incrementally across to the right before starting back on the left to re energize the coal.

Last edited:
Just remember, pics or it didnt happen... :p
Grass fed beef, our cauliflower from last year's garden, fresh local asparagus, and broccoli from our garden. As a side note, I used my last clove of garlic from last years garden. It's okay to cry, really I understand.
IMG_3672.jpg

I have used and continue to use both, my question was to gain clarity from the poster "Camalot"
I'm sorry I didn't understand your question properly. I wish to master the Dutch over using coals instead of briquettes in the event that we one day have no premanufactured briquettes at hand and darn charcoal costs quite a bit. I hope this answers what you were desiring to know. If not, feel free to ask again.

Last edited:
I wish to master the Dutch over using coals instead of briquettes in the event that we one day have no premanufactured briquettes at hand and darn charcoal coast quite a bit.

You can make your own... it's really quite simple...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/useless-and-useful-teotwawki-skills.4772/#post-112432
https://survivalblog.com/2012/09/19/make-your-own-retort-style-charcoal-by-dan-in-alabama/

I'm also interested in using coals and lump charcoal for dutch oven cooking.

I'm aware you can make you own charcoal and I am in process of doing so for a water filter project. As far as cooking goes I'm trying to make it less work. Coals would be much more simple.

I'm sorry I didn't understand your question properly. I wish to master the Dutch over using coals instead of briquettes in the event that we one day have no premanufactured briquettes at hand and darn charcoal costs quite a bit. I hope this answers what you were desiring to know. If not, feel free to ask again.
No no, my fault. I try not to assume things. I actually can't give you much info on briquettes, only used em a time or two in a campground. I also can't help with IR thermometers. I have an outrageously expensive laboratory grade IR thermometer that is "out of calibration", never used it to cook. My stuff is "not quite done", "that looks about right" and "oh crap. that was too long."

If I have any words of wisdom/idiocy, it's don't make it too complicated. Try it and learn. People cooked over a fire way before timers and thermometer.

Maybe start here, give a try, see what happens :). It's how I started in the boy sprouts. Hobo Tin Foil Dinners – Easy Camping Meals and Recipes Ideas

No no, my fault. I try not to assume things. I actually can't give you much info on briquettes, only used em a time or two in a campground. I also can't help with IR thermometers. I have an outrageously expensive laboratory grade IR thermometer that is "out of calibration", never used it to cook. My stuff is "not quite done", "that looks about right" and "oh crap. that was too long."

If I have any words of wisdom/idiocy, it's don't make it too complicated. Try it and learn. People cooked over a fire way before timers and thermometer.

I just wish to Master the Dutch oven and cut down on the learning curve. Maybe that's what I am trying to say? lol. It sounds better even to me!

Funny thing about an infrared thermometer. I've found I use it less and less over time. With a new style of cooking or new pots and pans used the IT helps me stay in the ball park of the correct temperatures I should be using. With repetition all my other senses come into play over time, sight, smell, sound, radiant heat on my skin...

It's sort of like a crutch when I first start walking after an injury, as I get stronger I soon I don't need it.

Seriously, my cooking a few years ago. I was definitely handicapped. :rolleyes:

Funny thing about an infrared thermometer. I've found I use it less and less over time. With a new style of cooking or new pots and pans used the IT helps me stay in the ball park of the correct temperatures I should be using. With repetition all my other senses come into play over time, sight, smell, sound, radiant heat on my skin...

It's sort of like a crutch when I first start walking after an injury, as I get stronger I soon I don't need it.

Seriously, my cooking a few years ago. I was definitely handicapped. :rolleyes:

Excellent info and reply. That would be my own hope.

Dutch oven cooking is not that hard. Get a good dutch oven cookbook and just go for it. I usually get 4 going at a time...a main dish, a side, bread rolls, and a dessert. The trick is to get the one that takes the longest cooking time started first. Like the meat dish or the potato dish

Dutch oven cooking is not that hard. Get a good dutch oven cookbook and just go for it. I usually get 4 going at a time...a main dish, a side, bread rolls, and a dessert. The trick is to get the one that takes the longest cooking time started first. Like the meat dish or the potato dish

I have 6, maybe 7 but they do all are using briquettes. I have no interest in cooking with charcoal. But, after reading and thinking, I am beginning to understand why people may use them. Campgrounds that don't permit campfires.

I use electrolysis to de rust & clean cast iron. And for a cleaning agent, I use Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Not baking soda, Washing Soda. Its mildly caustic, and non edible. Entirely different than baking soda. As a side note, Washing Soda has many uses. If you want to really get your sheets white, add a mixture of Washing Soda, & Borax to enhance your detergent. It puts the soap back in soap.

I first discovered Washing Soda in the 1970's working in a truck garage. Cummins Diesels would blow the "O" rings out of the heat exchanger, releasing engine oil into the coolant. They say water & oil don't mix, but they do. When mixed into a pressurized coolant system, you get a heavy batter, about the consistency of pancake batter. The only way to flush this out was with a mixture of washing soda. Added to the cooling system, and allowed to run at idle for an hour or so, it would completely clean out the radiator & cooling system. However, that fix is probably dated. Washing Soda & aluminum don't get on well, so using on modern vehicles with aluminum engine parts wouldn't be advised.

As soon as the Iron Age came along, I'd guess that cast iron cooking pots were among the first items made. In Europe they were taken to Africa, replacing the traditional clay pots. They are called Potjie Pots in South Africa, & still very popular since arriving in the 1600's. Here are some links if you want recipes. or are shopping for cookware. Wether it's a Potjie Pot. or an American Dutch oven. it's all cast iron cooking. Americans are just a little late to the game on the cast iron timeline.

Welcome to Potjiekos World - Potjiekosworld potjie recipes

https://potjiepotusa.com/
puppy-pot.jpg

I use electrolysis to de rust & clean cast iron. And for a cleaning agent, I use Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Not baking soda, Washing Soda. Its mildly caustic, and non edible. Entirely different than baking soda. As a side note, Washing Soda has many uses. If you want to really get your sheets white, add a mixture of Washing Soda, & Borax to enhance your detergent. It puts the soap back in soap.

I first discovered Washing Soda in the 1970's working in a truck garage. Cummins Diesels would blow the "O" rings out of the heat exchanger, releasing engine oil into the coolant. They say water & oil don't mix, but they do. When mixed into a pressurized coolant system, you get a heavy batter, about the consistency of pancake batter. The only way to flush this out was with a mixture of washing soda. Added to the cooling system, and allowed to run at idle for an hour or so, it would completely clean out the radiator & cooling system. However, that fix is probably dated. Washing Soda & aluminum don't get on well, so using on modern vehicles with aluminum engine parts wouldn't be advised.

As soon as the Iron Age came along, I'd guess that cast iron cooking pots were among the first items made. In Europe they were taken to Africa, replacing the traditional clay pots. They are called Potjie Pots in South Africa, & still very popular since arriving in the 1600's. Here are some links if you want recipes. or are shopping for cookware. Wether it's a Potjie Pot. or an American Dutch oven. it's all cast iron cooking. Americans are just a little late to the game on the cast iron timeline.

Welcome to Potjiekos World - Potjiekosworld potjie recipes

https://potjiepotusa.com/
View attachment 67876

I had realized no one had mentioned that. I'm going to build one as I have a few pieces that really need a good cleaning. And I have the place and everything to do it.

I had realized no one had mentioned that. I'm going to build one as I have a few pieces that really need a good cleaning. And I have the place and everything to do it.

Right. I use an old aquarium for most of my work. But any non ferrous substrate, like a bucket, or plastic tub will work the same. There doesn't seem to be a fixed amount, or ratio to the mix of washing soda to water, if the solution seems a little weak, dump some more in, & it will revive itself. It seem that amperage equals aggressiveness. More amps, it goes faster. But I'm using an old battery charger that is built to cut in & out. A steady supply of power would be better. But, time isn't really an issue, faster would be better, but slower works just as well.

I just wish to Master the Dutch oven and cut down on the learning curve. Maybe that's what I am trying to say? lol. It sounds better even to me!
It's stew season - great way to start the DO cooking~ then roast w/ spuds & carrots, then chicken n' dumplins, then 😋

I told my children I could only spend $500.00 per child this year, because I want to pay off my last Credit card this Spring.
My son said "Buy me Cast Iron cookware."

I don't need the extra iron so I don't use cast iron.

For most of us, cast iron probably won't hurt much, but for some it can present a danger from the iron.

Check out "hemochromatosis" in which the body stores too much iron. Excess iron is associated with the growth of cancers, heart disease (both atherosclerosis and conduction disturbances, the growth of some bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

I don't know what the status on the question is, but it has been conjectured that the reason women have fewer heart attacks then men prior to menopause and then catch up with men after menopause is due to iron loss prior to menopause.

This is called the "iron hypothesis". There are many studies that seem to support the iron hypothesis and many that don't support it.

Cast iron is pretty much all my husband uses. I don’t touch them. Still have to learn how to use them properly and care for them.
PM me or look for my old thread on it. I'm a bit of a cast iron guru. :)

Latest posts

Back