Castor Beans

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ricinus comunis aka castor bean plant… It’s an introduced species to the US. It grows in about 20 states. https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=RICO3

I found it growing wild on a powerline a few weeks ago. I’d never seen it before, took me a couple of hours to figure it out.

A friend sent me some links. It seems it’s a good plant for honey bees and a bad plant for moles and other burrowing mammals. Ever hear of Castor Oil? Yep, it’s the source… It was used to lubricate internal combustion engines in the early 1900’s… a very useful plant.

https://www.beeculture.com/the-useful-and-versatile-castor-bean-plant/

I intended to wait until later to harvest seed but after the heavy frost last night I got a few seed pods today just in case. I want to grow it here on the farm next year. Maybe these seeds will be okay.

The first 4 photos are before the frost. The last 4 I took today after the frost.

Castor Beans 02 (1).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (2).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (3).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (4).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (5).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (6).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (7).jpg
Castor Beans 02 (8).jpg

This is a highly poisonous plant, care must always be with such plants. My advice, if you don’t know how to handle extremely toxic plants… avoid them. In my opinion this warning is never strong enough in foraging and plant books. Within 10 miles of my home there are at least 8 plants that will kill people quicker than the castor bean. Half of those never get mentioned in print. So please be careful out in nature.

It's also the main ingredient for ricin.
Wikipedia:
Ricin , a lectin (a carbohydrate-binding protein) produced in the seeds of the castor oil plant, Ricinus communis, is a highly potent toxin. A dose of purified ricin powder the size of a few grains of table salt can kill an adult human. The median lethal dose (LD50) of ricin is around 22 micrograms per kilogram of body weight if the exposure is from injection or inhalation (2 milligrams for an average adult). Oral exposure to ricin is far less toxic as some of the poison is inactivated in the stomach. An estimated lethal oral dose in humans is approximately 1 milligram per kilogram.

There are a Number of Plants out there that are just not worth messing with, and the Castor Plant is one of them. I have had personal experience with the Castor Bean and Ricin, believe me when I say that the Toxin is absolutely LETHAL, don't play with this one.

Never seen any castor plants in my area.
I know they have stuff with castor oil in to put on yard to chase away moles.

Jim

It will give them the runs for sure. We were made to drink castor oil as kids, what they called a good cleaning out.

Ricinus comunis aka castor bean plant… It’s an introduced species to the US. It grows in about 20 states. https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=RICO3

I found it growing wild on a powerline a few weeks ago. I’d never seen it before, took me a couple of hours to figure it out.

A friend sent me some links. It seems it’s a good plant for honey bees and a bad plant for moles and other burrowing mammals. Ever hear of Castor Oil? Yep, it’s the source… It was used to lubricate internal combustion engines in the early 1900’s… a very useful plant.

https://www.beeculture.com/the-useful-and-versatile-castor-bean-plant/

I intended to wait until later to harvest seed but after the heavy frost last night I got a few seed pods today just in case. I want to grow it here on the farm next year. Maybe these seeds will be okay.

The first 4 photos are before the frost. The last 4 I took today after the frost.

View attachment 28407 View attachment 28408 View attachment 28409 View attachment 28410 View attachment 28411 View attachment 28412 View attachment 28413 View attachment 28414

This is a highly poisonous plant, care must always be with such plants. My advice, if you don’t know how to handle extremely toxic plants… avoid them. In my opinion this warning is never strong enough in foraging and plant books. Within 10 miles of my home there are at least 8 plants that will kill people quicker than the castor bean. Half of those never get mentioned in print. So please be careful out in nature.
We had one and it would shoot those fuzzy balls all over the yard.

Latest posts

Back