Catoma SpeeDome Pop-Up Tents? 1st Hand Experiences?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astronomy

Friend
Neighbor
Anyone used one of these? Several sizes. Issued to Forestry Service fire crews for many years.

Just wondering how they compare to other brands in terms of durability & reliability. Also concerned with how they handle strong wind or rain. Realizing that fire fighting is usually dry-season work... wondering how the 3/4 length rain fly handles blowing rain? Or Rocky Mountain monsoons.

I'm a lifelong 4-season ski tourer, hiker, climber, hunter, & camper with plenty of tent experience. Have used many different sizes/styles over the decades. Own several tents already. Marmot Limestone 6P being my 3-season family camping model. That one has a fly that reaches the ground and is a rain-shedding monster (one of the main features that caused me to buy it).

That said, I'm just looking at this particular model. I want a rain proof & durable, 3-season, instant pop-up w/ 2 adults & gear capacity... and some standing/kneeling headroom. I like most of what I see in this model, but my gut tells me that the fly is wrong for heavy downpours or big wind gusts. Tent would be for vehicle carry, so weight is not a consideration.

I've seen a lot of smaller Catoma bivouac tents (1-2 person) in the military. GTG. But no experience with the bigger domed ones featuring the integral instant frame.

Looking at the largest model (Eagle 4-person).

Plant Tent Plant community Natural landscape Shade

Eagle SpeeDome Shelter | Catoma

Detailed reviews are hard to find. Not looking for other brand suggestions (unless they are also quick pop-up style).

Any wildland fire fighters able to weigh in? Hotshot crew?

I'm not familiar with those, but one of our sons had a 2 person pop up. It was circular when flat, you kind of throw it out there and it popped up. Plenty sturdy, but he was mostly backpacking, and with its odd shape, not the kind of thing you'd bring backpacking.

Latest posts

Back