Cause and effect

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
1. March 24th a car hit me on the passengers front door as I was making a left turn on a green arrow. Anyway it was bad enough that all the side and top airbags went off. About 6 or 8 of them, and the car was calling 911.
2. I just received a good shaking up and a prime bruise that went almost black across my chest where seat belt was.
3. Insurance are working it out, and I'm looking at a brand new or new to me car. Still waiting for my part after the car was paid off.

Now, that's the background.
I've been looking at CarMax and Carvana as I have family that have purchased via those and had a good experience. But, I would rather have a new car. But new cars are getting to be very difficult to get. They are not being delivered as much as they are ordered by dealerships.
It's the chips that he factories make that do all that electronic stuff in a modern car,. So, cars are not being manufactured as much as usual or needed.

A side effect is that dealers are adding a value added charge, this is an uplift over MSRP to offset them not having as many cars to sell.

Here is what I have found out about that over the weekend for where I live:

Car uplift over stated price on sticker. $7995 uplift on Kia Soltus
$2000 uplift on Honda HR-V, $2000 uplift on Nissan Kicks.
I talked to 2 salesman for just a little bit, let them know upfront I was doing my homework before possibly buying. The Kia guy said they added the Uplift as if it was Sticker price I could take the $27K car and turn around and sell it for $30K.
The Nissan guy said that $2000 is about the lowest found, and that some to up to $12K uplift (must be Mercedes or Cadillac).
At this point, CarMax and Carvana are looking very interesting. I have family that have used both and were happy.
But this chip pricing uplift is strangeeeeeeeee.

This is the Soltus I looked at:

1649654671475.png

The actual price with internet discount: It showed as $36K to me.
1649654712353.png

I bring this up as it sure sounds like the price of everything going up during a Stuff Hit the Fan event. This is a direct effect from Covid and the shut downs and lock downs.
Here is something that explains it - sort of:

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/...FgnX6g8cByqiWWgdYj50aM3GGBtIeN6j6WICc5EuR7ceE

Needless to say, my decisions will be very carefully thought out.
Oh, and my bank changed names about the same time and being slow getting with insurance so I can get the funds.

My son-in-law is letting me borrow an old 2010 Impala. The seats are not as good as the Kia Soul.
Buy the way, the Soul did good and protected me well. I walked away from the accident a bit shook up, but only the bruise and bruised and internal bone bruise from the seat belt.

I did want to tell you of the cause and effect of another aspects of our lives.
I'm fine.

1. March 24th a car hit me on the passengers front door as I was making a left turn on a green arrow. Anyway it was bad enough that all the side and top airbags went off. About 6 or 8 of them, and the car was calling 911.
2. I just received a good shaking up and a prime bruise that went almost black across my chest where seat belt was.
3. Insurance are working it out, and I'm looking at a brand new or new to me car. Still waiting for my part after the car was paid off.

Now, that's the background.
I've been looking at CarMax and Carvana as I have family that have purchased via those and had a good experience. But, I would rather have a new car. But new cars are getting to be very difficult to get. They are not being delivered as much as they are ordered by dealerships.
It's the chips that he factories make that do all that electronic stuff in a modern car,. So, cars are not being manufactured as much as usual or needed.

A side effect is that dealers are adding a value added charge, this is an uplift over MSRP to offset them not having as many cars to sell.

Here is what I have found out about that over the weekend for where I live:

Car uplift over stated price on sticker. $7995 uplift on Kia Soltus
$2000 uplift on Honda HR-V, $2000 uplift on Nissan Kicks.
I talked to 2 salesman for just a little bit, let them know upfront I was doing my homework before possibly buying. The Kia guy said they added the Uplift as if it was Sticker price I could take the $27K car and turn around and sell it for $30K.
The Nissan guy said that $2000 is about the lowest found, and that some to up to $12K uplift (must be Mercedes or Cadillac).
At this point, CarMax and Carvana are looking very interesting. I have family that have used both and were happy.
But this chip pricing uplift is strangeeeeeeeee.

This is the Soltus I looked at:

View attachment 84268
The actual price with internet discount: It showed as $36K to me.
View attachment 84269

I bring this up as it sure sounds like the price of everything going up during a Stuff Hit the Fan event. This is a direct effect from Covid and the shut downs and lock downs.
Here is something that explains it - sort of:

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/...FgnX6g8cByqiWWgdYj50aM3GGBtIeN6j6WICc5EuR7ceE

Needless to say, my decisions will be very carefully thought out.
Oh, and my bank changed names about the same time and being slow getting with insurance so I can get the funds.

My son-in-law is letting me borrow an old 2010 Impala. The seats are not as good as the Kia Soul.
Buy the way, the Soul did good and protected me well. I walked away from the accident a bit shook up, but only the bruise and bruised and internal bone bruise from the seat belt.

I did want to tell you of the cause and effect of another aspects of our lives.
I'm fine.
At least YOU are ok!! I've heard of so many "chip" problems in new vehicles lately. A neighbor up the road bought a new GMC SUV, the chip for the tranny went out. GMC can't get one right now, they must supply her a rent car. No rent cars available, she's driving one off the lot for now! Same thing with a friend's new Ford F150, but it's the brake chip! Seems like the chips that are being made for the brand cars aren't worth a toot! Good luck getting the right car!

First off I'm sorry to hear about your accident.
Glad you're OK. I really hope you went to the hospital or at least a Doctor after you were hit.
I know several people that thought they were fine and it turned out later they were not so fine. My SIL suffered for years and she had to pay her own medical bills because she settled too fast.
A lawyer once told me that no matter if I thought I was injured or not go to the hospital.
I have never dealt with either company so I'm no help.
Now is a great time to sell a car but not so much for buying.
The Toyota dealer where we got my wife's car is so short stocked they are putting the cars they take in on trade on the front row. They have maybe 10 new Toyotas when they usually have 75 or more.

Latest posts

Back