CBS all access

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use Direct TV. Last week they dropped the only local station we watch. That kills us for local weather.
Get an antenna and watch the local channels for free. I was amazed at how many channels we get and how good the picture is.
I put a $15 antenna outside and got 55 channels, 12 are local and things we will watch the rest are shopping, religious and Spanish. The nearest TV transmitter is over 40 miles away.
We dropped Dish and watch everything online or with the antenna. Saving me $104 every month.

When we cut the cable I found we had an old TV antenna in the attic, I connect our old cable wire up to it and Poof, TV. I did have to tell the TV that we were using an antenna and to search for channels, but it worked. I eventually added a signal booster to get a clearer picture on some channels (I have 2 TVs hooked to it) seems to work okay. I was even able to filter out the shopping and non-english speaking channels to keep the wife happy. She didn't watch TV as a kid and now she is watching old shows for the first time.... for free almost.

When I was a young kid in South Dakota, we got one channel. This was true for much of the state, unless you lived closer to Sioux Falls. Then you maybe got two or three channels. The transmitter for our channel was on the top of a tall tower on a big hill by Reliance, SD. My dad must have wanted to investigate the set up. I remember driving to Reliance once and going to that hill. No idea what Dad did, but the kids and Mom, climbed up that hill, part way. Anyone who wanted to have television reception had to have an antenna on some sort of tower. Our tower assisted the antenna to be higher that the top of our two story house. Storms and winds could move the antenna and it would have to be adjusted to help improve reception.

I don't pay to watch anything on my television. There are times when I can hardly get anything. Fox is usually the best, but not always. I ordered an antenna recently that is in the box it came in. Life has to slow down a little for me to get it put up.

Latest posts

Back