Cedar Projects

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I love the look of Cedar. Here are a few of my endeavors.
0120131830.jpg
1222121214.jpg
1222121212.jpg
1031121718.jpg
1008121647.jpg
0929121323.jpg

I have a bunch of rough cut red cedar stored in the barn.
My cousin bought it in Arkansas probably 25 years ago and brought it to Washington for my dad.
He never used it.
It's stacked neatly on a pallet and has never been wet.
I really need to build something out of it.
Maybe a ceder chest?
You have some nice looking stuff.

Love that vase Jim. All the cedar that I used came from my property in Alabama. I cut into manageable lengths with a chainsaw, then to size with a table saw. All finishes were hand sanded and varnished. Had to quit because of my back. If, no, when I finish this house I'm gonna do it some more. I just like making things. Materials doesn't matter. My Grandfather was a Blacksmith and a farmer, my Dad was a mechanic and a carpenter. I guess I inherited that from them!

Looks great.
I worked for a professorial woodworker for 3 years, oak,cherry,maple,mahogany,teak,cotton wood & black walnut.
But no cedar so far.

Looks great.
I worked for a professorial woodworker for 3 years, oak,cherry,maple,mahogany,teak,cotton wood & black walnut.
But no cedar so far.
I had to cut a small (12" diameter) black walnut tree a couple of months ago. I want to make a fireplace mantle out of it. Don't have a plan for the rest of it yet. I want a wood lathe so bad I can taste it. I'm a journeyman machinist and tool and die maker so a wood lathe should be a blast!

I had to cut a small (12" diameter) black walnut tree a couple of months ago. I want to make a fireplace mantle out of it. Don't have a plan for the rest of it yet. I want a wood lathe so bad I can taste it. I'm a journeyman machinist and tool and die maker so a wood lathe should be a blast!
I was a machinist,welder, & mechanic when i started with the furniture maker, it was the use of precision tool that got me the job over carpenters.
I think you need to let it dry/cure for 12 months per inch of wood, there would be some checking on the ends.
We used cured rough cut wood from North Carolina & milled it to size, for a small table.
When I was with the BSA, I let sapling wood for walking sticks cure for 8 month, still have a few that are now 8 years old.
Should carve them, just not a lot of time for all the projects.

Gumpy,

You will need sleeping pills ,when you get one,
You will want to stay up all night turning....

A lathe becomes the creator of your work..they are awesome.
Mine is a Sears Roebuck , all cast iron from the 50s...HEAVY.

Hope you get one.

Jim
I don't sleep now! Get tired of reading!!

Where do you get your wood from?

I cut my own, cure it. Whittle it down with a chainsaw, finish it with a table saw.
I wonder if you cut & cured your wood or bought it.
Seemed like a guy with your skill would enjoy the the complete process.

I have a bunch of rough cut red cedar stored in the barn.
My cousin bought it in Arkansas probably 25 years ago and brought it to Washington for my dad.
He never used it.
It's stacked neatly on a pallet and has never been wet.
I really need to build something out of it.
Maybe a ceder chest?
You have some nice looking stuff.
I would line a closet or two with it.

Back