CELL PHONE "BOOSTER" What is the BEST "BOOSTER"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you have a signal to boost. Zero signal boosted 300% is still zero signal.

The ones I've seen cost hundreds of dollars. You want to get one that is FCC certified. That el-cheapo "We-boost-em!" sub $100 Chinese model from Amazon isn't going to cut it, and will probably just cause interference and trouble with cell towers in the area.

AFAIK, they are all powered by standard 110-120 vac.

After researching, I chose not to buy one. Too expensive for something I wasn't sure was going to help me. And if it did help, dang, that's an expensive device if you look at it's cost "per phone call" (unless you make lots of calls). IIRC, the good quality ones usually come with a money back guaranty if they don't work for you. Plan on $500 to $1000 or more.

Make sure you have a signal to boost. Zero signal boosted 300% is still zero signal.

The ones I've seen cost hundreds of dollars. You want to get one that is FCC certified. That el-cheapo "We-boost-em!" sub $100 Chinese model from Amazon isn't going to cut it, and will probably just cause interference and trouble with cell towers in the area.

AFAIK, they are all powered by standard 110-120 vac.

After researching, I chose not to buy one. Too expensive for something I wasn't sure was going to help me. And if it did help, dang, that's an expensive device if you look at it's cost "per phone call" (unless you make lots of calls). IIRC, the good quality ones usually come with a money back guaranty if they don't work for you. Plan on $500 to $1000 or more.
Thanks.....very helpful. My situation, the entire town/city where I live does not get any cell reception...zero. But if you go two or three miles up the road there is good reception, or if you walk short distance up the mountain, you get connected. Would a antenna help....???
I have never owned a cell phone thingie.

I have no reception at my house. Like @Haertig mentioned, 300% boost on no signal still equals no signal.
I'm assuming you have internet access.
What I do is enable WiFi on my phone, connect to the home router and all calls are routed through the internet. As long as my phone is within range of the router (approx. 300'), I can make and receive calls.

I have no reception at my house. Like @Haertig mentioned, 300% boost on no signal still equals no signal.
I'm assuming you have internet access.
What I do is enable WiFi on my phone, connect to the home router and all calls are routed through the internet. As long as my phone is within range of the router (approx. 300'), I can make and receive calls.
I have a wifi booster that cost around $50 a couple of years ago.

We get 1-2 bars depending where we are.
Bought this booster - haven’t installed it yet but the reviews have some good info on set up and installation. I’ll report back once we do.

Amazboost Cell Phone Booster for Home - up to 2,500 sq ft, 5G 4G 3G LTE Cell Booster, 5 Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for All U.S. Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More- FCC Approved https://a.co/d/0ZGhJt3

Bought this booster - haven’t installed it yet but the reviews have some good info on set up and installation. I’ll report back once we do.

Amazboost Cell Phone Booster for Home - up to 2,500 sq ft, 5G 4G 3G LTE Cell Booster, 5 Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for All U.S. Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More- FCC Approved https://a.co/d/0ZGhJt3

Please let us know how that one works out. It is FCC approved which is a good sign. And less expensive than other models I've seen.

Their graphic on Amazon is funny.

2500 sq ft is "2-3 rooms"? My entire house is 2100 sq ft (not including the basement, which is unfinished). 1200 sq ft is a "small room"? That's 35 feet by 35 feet! You could fit 3 king size beds and 4 grand pianos in there!

screenshot.jpg

Thanks, can you turn off the 5G capability?

Thanks, can you turn off the 5G capability?
It is only a repeater in essence and can only boost what exists. If 5G exists it will boost it but if not then it won't exists still. These devices don't usually have any type of user interface options to tweak what it does or does not boost. I've installed a number of these things in office buildings where the service was poor and the biggest pain with them is dealing with getting the antenna far enough from the booster or too much signal. Sometimes, when there are numerous towers around you run into the problem of tower flop where the phone goes back and forth and basically ends up with crappy service. In those situations, boosters may need a lead wall or blanket blocking the signal from one of the towers to allow it to zero in on the one desired. But, to answer your question ... no, these are not modifiable unless you buy some of the more advanced ones that are in the $1000+ range where you can turn on or off certain bands which in essence would allow to not use 5G.

Mine is 3g
Yikes. Surprised it is still working. You on AT&T? Verizon and T-Mobile have supposedly shut their 3G services down. AT&T just gave a date when they would start shutting things down so not sure what their end date is supposed to be.

Reactions: Neb
Verizon and so far it still works but to keep a 3-4 bar signal I have to leave my phone on the floor. If it's on the table or whatever then the tower forces it to take a partial bar signal. I did not expect it to still be working after I had to get a 5g phone

Reactions: Neb
Update on our booster.
Pain in the butt to get going and hasn’t made a terrible amount of difference.
One bar to two bars. LTE.

No alarms? I've installed a few (not your brand). One thing to note is that if the outdoor antenna is not sufficiently far enough from the indoor one it will not work. If the outdoor one is pointing at the tower and the indoor one is under a point between the outdoor and tower, it won't work. You want the outdoor antenna as far as you can possibly get it from the indoor one and make sure that the indoor one is "behind and below" the way the outdoor one is pointing. I've had some instances where it boosted to much and I needed to shield the backside of the outdoor one with a lead sheet or wire mesh.

My old Wilson Cell signal booster got taken out in a BAD storm the other night. Ripped it and it's 40 mast pole right off the side of the house. Broke the mast pole in 5 pieces and busted the antenna cover and misshaped the antenna. I grabbed what was left (antenna with 10-15ft of mast) and leaned it up against the house and somehow it still works. IDK

Latest posts

Back