Ceramic water filter in 5 gallon bucket IMPROVEMENT

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I doubt I am the only one here who uses a ceramic filter in a 5 gallon bucket for a drinking water filter. My problem with them is they are slow and have to be cleaned about every 5-10 gallons of water. Which the cleaning isn't that big a deal but the slow part is because it can not keep up with my personal use during a day of work. So I am going to be making a new one which will have 3 of the filters in the bucket. Three will fit in a triangle pattern. Then it should not only keep up with my use but have enough volume for others to have some as well.

This was the best deal I could find on more filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CMQ96P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What are you starting with? Well water? Or something else?

What are you trying to remove from your water?

Are there things a ceramic filter will not do such a good job of filtering out? Are you using other filters either before or after the ceramic filter?

• A 5-micron water filter removes: All the particles visible to your eye

• A 1-micron water filter removes: Particles that you cant see with the naked eye. but is far less likely to reduce lead, heavy metals, parasitic cysts like giardia cryptosporidium

• A 0.5 water filter micron rating removes: Sediment, particles in the water, Reduce chlorine, organic chemicals, Remove parasitic cysts like giardia cryptosporidium, reduce lead and heavy metals.

Whatever filter you use, get a TDS meter for effective testing.

My neighbor uses a five stage R.O. filter for their drinking water. I discovered that it wasn't working with a quick check using the TDS meter ($12 Amazon).

They were shocked and dismayed because they paid a professional to service it six months ago. I found that they failed to remove the old seal on one cartridge and water was bypassing that cartridge as it wasn't installed correctly.

0.1-0.5 micron is the size I've used for years. Rain & creek water is what we are filtering. I first let the water settle and only filter drinking water the rest we use as is. In almost 15 years never had a problem.

Of course I've been known to reach down and get a drink straight out of the creek too.

I used a berkey filter. I found that letting even clear water set about a day before filtering really stretched the filter's use time.
We've found even letting city tap water sit overnight in an open pitcher stretches our Berkey filters. I'm assuming some of the chlorine and other chemicals dissipate naturally.

Just the chlorine, the flouride (Which I'm allergic to!) is forever until I filter it. a pinch of salt in a gallon helps break it down into Sodium Flouride which
I can tolerate.
Still tastes like licking a steel plate though.

Just the chlorine, the flouride (Which I'm allergic to!) is forever until I filter it. a pinch of salt in a gallon helps break it down into Sodium Flouride which
I can tolerate.
Still tastes like licking a steel plate though.
The salt trick is a new one for me, thanks for sharing it! We've got the fluoride filters in our Berkey and they are due for replacement. I would love to be back on well or spring water again and be done with these BS additives.

Fast word, you may have to purge your filter twice as often, when it gets a funky grey color, just hook a hose up a minute.

The new filters I linked earlier in this thread have the poorest threads I've ever seen on the thumbnut. Never even tried to get tight before stripping.

20220910_124630.jpg

oop!

• A 5-micron water filter removes: All the particles visible to your eye

• A 1-micron water filter removes: Particles that you cant see with the naked eye. but is far less likely to reduce lead, heavy metals, parasitic cysts like giardia cryptosporidium

• A 0.5 water filter micron rating removes: Sediment, particles in the water, Reduce chlorine, organic chemicals, Remove parasitic cysts like giardia cryptosporidium, reduce lead and heavy metals.
I am with Caribou, filter the water before you run it through the ceramic filter should remove most the the "trash" & speed up the flow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back