Chaga

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caribou,

We drink chaga and the wife swears by the health benefits. And who am I to argue with her?

The stuff is everywhere growing on the birch trees where I live. So I don’t buy it. There is a natural health herbal type store on Palmer-Wasilla highway next to a Thai restaurant that should sell some.

Taste wise, it is a strong tea with a slightly bitter taste. Kind of like if someone put a few birch needles in an english breakfast tea. But no caffeine.

Last edited:
Are you looking to forage or buy it packaged?
https://wildalaskachaga.com/store-locations/

Excellent! Caribou, there is a store near you and you can try some. If you like it, I know where you can get more of it.

The wife got out primary care doctor to start drinking chaga after what happened to my wife’s former high blood pressure and high cholesterol. She hasn‘t had to take any meds for this the past 5 years after she started drinking chaga. He said he has suggested chaga to others since we turned him on to chaga, and that they also had similar results.

In addition to the above, it supposedly prevents certain cancers per the wife. It also helps keep you regular, is very relaxing and helps you get a great night sleep.

Looks like there are a few options for buying it on Amazon. I wonder if there are places to order it that is not Amazon?
Sourdough and Patch put links to a supplier in Alaska and their outlets. There are two stores that sell it where I am but I've contacted the company for quantity pricing. I feel the need to have a year's worth in stock. Okay, okay, call me a prepper I can't help it.

Sourdough and Patch put links to a supplier in Alaska and their outlets. There are two stores that sell it where I am but I've contacted the company for quantity pricing. I feel the need to have a year's worth in stock. Okay, okay, call me a prepper I can't help it.
A year's worth is minimal, imho. I get you.

A year's worth is minimal, imho. I get you.

This is about a year‘s supply:

36F5D9EE-6646-4C4E-A80A-CEB6ADDE1791.jpeg

And this is how we make and drink it. Put a couple chunks in a pan of water and simmer it until you get the strength that you like. When the tea gets low in the pan, add more water and simmer again. The chunks in the picture might last a month until you need to replace them. Save the discarded chunks as an excellent fire starter.

4CEE48BA-3387-4517-8155-9EFADE273B47.jpeg

This is about a year‘s supply:

View attachment 76568

And this is how we make and drink it. Put a couple chunks in a pan of water and simmer it until you get the strength that you like. When the tea gets low in the pan, add more water and simmer again. The chunks in the picture might last a month until you need to replace them. Save the discarded chunks as an excellent fire starter.

View attachment 76572
I would have thought that would be roughly ground, such as in a coffee type electrical grinder with a few quick grinds, and then put into a tea bag or ball.

I would have thought that would be roughly ground, such as in a coffee type electrical grinder with a few quick grinds, and then put into a tea bag or ball.

Some folks make it that way.

Thanks for all the links and info. I'm gonna place an order.
AJ, what would you estimate the weight of the year supply? Is that for 1 person or 2?

Backpacker, hard to say, but perhaps a pound and a half, just under two.

This would be for the wife and I.

Do you use the Black Outer part, or only the amber/orangish inside.

Thanks AJ. DO either of you have any allergies to anything? Wife has a few, just curious

The wife and I had some mild seasonal alergies while living in the Midwest and Southeast. Nothing else.

I've started putting 1 teaspoon of Siberian chaga powder in each cup of black coffee I drink.
It takes some stirring to get it to mix but it will eventually.

I've had to start using Stevia sweetener in it because it doesn't feed cancer.

When I start getting to the bottom of the cup I start swirling it so I get to drink down the chaga that settles on the bottom.
It's too precious to waste.

What does a "ONE POUND" bag, like pictured sell for......Just roughly.....????

We have chaga on many of of the birch trees on our 40 acres. I was surprised to see chaga being sold in our local drugstore last week. It was harvested right up the road from us.

0dc44b-20160124-chaga09.jpg

He alludes a bit that chaga is a new thing outside of a few circles. There is a lot of history of the use of chaga in Russia and in the Athabaskan communities, among others. Most don't drink the outer black crust as he suggests. It the brown inner stuff that we drink, and this is what you see sold in stores and the pictures above. Still, a very interesting video.

Back