Chalk painting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
Is a relatively new craft for me and I'm enjoying breathing new life into old furniture.
Here's a couple of old (cheap) end tables that I brought at a garage sale for $10. I'm not finished yet, but they're already looking better.
Before and stage 2. I'll post again as I go.
20171107_153545.jpg
20171231_143711.jpg

I've never heard of Chaulk painting, what is it?

Wearing your mask while sanding?

Wait a minute! You're doing that outside with the cold temps?

Lol! No sanding required, but I did a little bit. That was a month ago while it was warm enough to be outside.
Chaulk paint is a latex paint mixed with plaster of paris. No prep required. Not a lot of odor, so it's safe to use inside.
One can actually make chaulk paint, but I found mine at WM. A couple of coats then a wax made to go over it and done! It's kind of like the old :antiquing used.to look like but easier.

Well, now you have to finish them because I really want to see what they look like.

I've mixed drywall mud in to latex to paint ceilings. It helps smooth out the imperfections after I removed the popcorn. It also helps smooth out the popcorn I didn't remove.

I'm sure that is similar at least in theory. My little tables have been used and abused when I got them, so I did wood putty and sand to get worst flaws out. The paint will cover the rest. I also bought an old rocking chair that I brought in after I filled all the flaws and sanded it a little. They all came from someone's barn.

Attachments

• 20171231_162626.jpg
    20171231_162626.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Well, now you have to finish them because I really want to see what they look like.

I've mixed drywall mud in to latex to paint ceilings. It helps smooth out the imperfections after I removed the popcorn. It also helps smooth out the popcorn I didn't remove.
I learned something new. I didn't even think of that and it makes perfect sense.

Well, chaulk paint is not supposed to need any prep work. That's true most of the time, but my little tables were so heavily vanished that even with the little sanding that I did, the varnish or wax that was on it bled through. I had to put a coat of Kilz on the larger surfaces. I'v never had to do that before.

I like the difference the paint makes. I used to be only about natural wood, but am now into painted wood.

I know that distressing is in vogue. I have never wanted to do that to anything I have repainted, so I have just never understood it.

I am interested in the waxing process. What kind of wax do you use? How do you apply it? What is the purpose?

I like the difference the paint makes. I used to be only about natural wood, but am now into painted wood.

I know that distressing is in vogue. I have never wanted to do that to anything I have repainted, so I have just never understood it.

I am interested in the waxing process. What kind of wax do you use? How do you apply it? What is the purpose?

Yes, it can make a huge difference. Those little tables and the rocker were headed to the trash dump. Now they will be quite useful when completely finished. I still have a couple of steps left.
I just get the chalk paint, wax, and supplies at Walmart. Lowe's and places like that carry ""Annie Sloan" brand that is much more pricey. I'm not into buying or selling so AM is plenty good and have a good color selection. I just went to YouTube for the instructions, Pinterest also has instructions.b They say there is no prep and that is usually true, but my tables must have had years of furniture wax build up because it bled through. This is the first time I've had to do anything but clean what I was working on.
The wax is not the same as furniture wax. It's used as a sealer. It can be brushed or wiped on then quickly rubbed off. I've only seen it in brow , white and clear. BTW, I'm a plain wood gal, too, but love this look!

As many pieces of furniture I've refinished I never knew about that type of wax. All I ever saw was the paste wax for wood.

Annie Sloan brand of waxes are more solid in nature than the WM brands are. I imagine the AS product will last longer, too. I have the white wax on which when, I reviewed the videos, comes first not the clear. So wasted step, but no extra work. The next step is brown wax (optional depending on personal preference) and the last is clear to seal. 24 hrs between each paint/wax step.

You got them done!!! I'm going to have to give that technique a whirl when I have time. Now I need to go junk hunting.

They look great.

When I'm done with it, I'll have to order new cushions for it. It will need a short skirt because there was a lot of staple damage. If the paint covers well enough, maybe I won't need them though.

Latest posts

Back