Charcoal Soap Made Today- Like Coal For Christmas!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

New Friend
Neighbor
Several people had told me of the wonders of charcoal soap for skin issues. I made a small batch a while ago, and it did help with my grandson's psoriasis. I have, er, mature, skin, and it even helped with some menopausal breakouts without drying my skin.

I made a batch last afternoon, and cut it today, and a friend on Facebook said it would make awesome Christmas gifts. I was touched, until he pointed out that it looked like coal for the naughty folks!
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble uploading the photo, but I will admit it's black. :)

I render tallow from grass-fed beef, and if I get a deer with a lot of fat on it, I will render that as well. I found that deer tallow soap is awesome, but for this batch I used commercial oils with matcha powder and vit E.

I read that as charcoal SOUP not soap. Goes to show I'm a bit brain dead.

I've seen the benefits of charcoal and the skin but have never seen more than reviews that could be made up by others. This is helpful since I'm pretty certain you're a real person. :D

I would give it at Christmas anyway just to see their reactions, it would have to be priceless.

I read that as charcoal SOUP not soap. Goes to show I'm a bit brain dead.

I've seen the benefits of charcoal and the skin but have never seen more than reviews that could be made up by others. This is helpful since I'm pretty certain you're a real person. :D

I would give it at Christmas anyway just to see their reactions, it would have to be priceless.

I did too! :)

I'd love to see the recipe you used. I am always looking for good soap recipes.

Lye was scary for me when I first started making soap. It took me quite a while before I got up the nerve to try.

Mostly you need to not inhale the fumes. Don't get it on your bare skin. Keep pets and little ones away from the work area. I wear disposable gloves and safety goggles. And I keep the windows open and the kitchen vent on. A stick blender is a blessing. You don't want to use pyrex containers to mix the lye solution, even though they are heat proof. Too many soapers have have had them shatter. Stainless steel or heavy duty plastic. There is a number on the bottom of the plastic container that tells you if it's ok to use. I'll look for the number so ya'll will know. You'll get used to the lye solution. Now I just give it a healthy respect.

That's awesome I have only messed with coconut oil soap but always wondered about charcoal soap.

As far as lye its really not that big of issue as long as you wear eye protection and gloves. At my old factory job we used caustic cleaner and long story short I spilled it on me several times over the 5 years working their.

First your skin will feel itchy, then as you itch it will feel real slippery like grease. Use cold water at first to rub it off as soon as you notice and then once the discomfort is down get soap and wash using the cold water till all fatty feeling is gone. Soon after your skin feels greasy it will start to go from itch to burn. It takes a bit of time though if you do nothing.

IF you get it in your eye it's a different story I always wore good eye protection. Plus at work I was handling 1.5 gallons at a time so soap making is even less risky.
Ventilation, eye protection, gloves, and an open clean sink is all you really need. I laugh at what some sites say. Vinegar will work to dilute it but at work we always used cold water with no long term issues.
Respect it and all will go well.

Back