Cheap cell phone and cell service options.....advice please!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was notified by Verizon that my cell phone needs to be upgraded b/c they are dropping the 3G service at the beginning of the year. I have an old dinosaur flip phone that serves me just fine. I don't want or need a 'smart' phone. I truly just don't need it. Half the time my cell phone dies in my purse and I don't even know it. I really hardly ever use it and mostly only check to see that it's charged when I take it with me on longer trips for emergencies. In order to text, I have to go thru all the letters on the number pad, so I rarely text, and if I do, it is always a very short text. I have never gone on the internet with it b/c I'm not even sure it would do that and clearly I don't have that need.

I was thinking about perhaps getting another phone thru Consumer Cellular or something like that. I currently only pay about $20 per month for what I have, so that's not bad, but I have 3 other phones with family members on that plan too. I might just stay with the current plan and buy an upgraded flip phone if they are still available......which I think they are.

I'm just curious what you all have and how much you pay for it. I'm sure there are other plans and providers out there that I haven't even heard of.

You sound just like me. My flip phone is so old, no one recognizes it as a phone if I have it out. I stick it in my apron pocket during the day. I can go a couple of days without using it at all. I keep it on me if husband is out in the back acreage. Happened at the beginning of the summer that he took the ride em mower out, ran over barbed wire, couldn't move. Had to try to walk back since the scooter was in the roundtop when he got off that and got on the mower. Too far away to yell.

Most of the time my smart phone doesn't work here on the farm. It's an iffy 1-bar or no bar area between cell towers. So, I have to have a land line if I want a phone at home. I have a smart phone just for emergencies when I'm driving.

I have a "pay as you go" account with at&t. I could purchase minutes monthly... They also expire every month if I don't use them. Then I have to purchase more.

If I buy $100 dollars of minutes once a year. The minutes don't expire until the end of the year. Also, if I buy $100 the next year, my minutes left over from the last year don't expire either. I think I have $300 worth of minutes on my account now. I almost never use the phone.

But the monthly price is $8.33 and I have an emergency phone when traveling. I couldn't find a cheaper deal anywhere.

Twice in the last few years I've called at&t to get $100 in minutes. The customer service rep noticed I wasn't using the minutes and did me a kindness. They rolled my old minutes over to a new year without my having to buy another $100. So for 2 years my price was $4.16 per month.

Last edited:
I switched from Verizon to Spectrum (Charter). I pay $14 a gb a month for the current service. They have unlimited monthly service for $29. I don't use my phone for internet so I just pay the $14.

I did the same thing you did Grimm. Our bill went from $209 a month to $28.00. The problem is you have to be a Spectrum customer or you can't sign up.
I seriously considered switching to a flip phone but I use my phone for other things and I need a smart phone.
Amazon has a bunch of flip phones under $50. Might be worth checking out.
I would also be there are people with old phones stashed in a drawer you might get free.

Verison shut down the 3G here, although I did stay with Verison I got another flip phone. I got rid of my land line, so the 60 dollar a month (unlimited call and text) was a wash as far as price was concerned. I have only one bar here on the mountain but it's enough so it isn't a problem. Verison is the only game here, and I don't understand if other services are compatible.

Verison shut down the 3G here, although I did stay with Verison I got another flip phone. I got rid of my land line, so the 60 dollar a month (unlimited call and text) was a wash as far as price was concerned. I have only one bar here on the mountain but it's enough so it isn't a problem. Verison is the only game here, and I don't understand if other services are compatible.

EDIT...I didn't go with the cheapest flip phone, but the next step up as it's more rugged. The initial cost for phone and account activation was 300 dollars though, and the 60 dollar a month stated above included insurance in case of loss or damage.

Crap if verizon shuts down 3G my cell booster will no longer work it's 3G. Without it we will have no service or internet!
The email I got stated the 3G CDMA network was being decomissioned and will be completed no later than Dec 31, 2022.
The problem is you have to be a Spectrum customer or you can't sign up.
Poo! They don't offer Spectrum in my area.
CRICKET!! Two lines, unlimited everything 90$ a month.
I may have to look into that. Thanks!

I always thought Verizon was the only game in town here too. But, I think other carriers use their towers. I'm not really sure how all of that works.

I have lots of old phones in a cabinet. The problem with that is (at least with Verizon) they say that you have to upgrade to get the new network services to work. I'd have no problem keeping the phone I have now, but I don't think they'll let that happen. They usually say it's not compatible with their new network. I think I only paid $50 for the phone several years ago. I won't pay big bucks for a cell phone and I usually buy them used. I'll have to go and check to see if maybe....hopefully?.....my phone will work with their 4G system, even though I highly doubt it. It looks like I'm gonna have to make a phone call.

You sound just like me. My flip phone is so old, no one recognizes it as a phone if I have it out. I stick it in my apron pocket during the day. I can go a couple of days without using it at all. I keep it on me if husband is out in the back acreage. Happened at the beginning of the summer that he took the ride em mower out, ran over barbed wire, couldn't move. Had to try to walk back since the scooter was in the roundtop when he got off that and got on the mower. Too far away to yell.
If you find a GOOD replacement flip-phone that isn't geared for old people with the big 911 panic button, let us know.
I shopped a long time for the phone I have (looking at military specs for dustproof and water & impact resistance). They tried to talk me out of it with 2 other phones that were free.
It was money well spent.
I'm still using it since 2008 :oops:.
Edit: The "vehicle service department" checks it's functionality for me every couple of days.:LOL:

Last edited:
I was always a curmudgeon fighting firts cell phone
Then
Flip phone
Then
Smart phone...

And then The Princess told me one Saturday to give her my smart phone so she can it upgraded. Turns out she got 3 phones (she has her sisters phone on our account) upgraded to 5G for free and saved money (Cricket) in the process.

The smart phone lets me check this forum while working anywhere as well as letting me live streaming Right Side Broadcasting and talk radio. It has virtually eliminated me need for a laptop.

Ben

I don't want or need a 'smart' phone. I truly just don't need it.

I wouldn't write one off necessarily. You may be able to get into a new one for little to nothing depending on provider. I never really saw the need until I got one. It's handy having a little computer in your pocket, and there are a lot of apps that are extremely useful. I have used it many times pricing something at yard sales, on items I don't know the retail cost of, to see if I'm getting a good deal. If you travel to a different area that you are unfamiliar with, the entire area is at your fingertips. I can even use my smart phone to communicate over amateur radio bands (have to be licensed to get the app EchoLink) without the presence of my radio. Good stuff.

I wouldn't write one off necessarily. You may be able to get into a new one for little to nothing depending on provider. I never really saw the need until I got one. It's handy having a little computer in your pocket, and there are a lot of apps that are extremely useful. I have used it many times pricing something at yard sales, on items I don't know the retail cost of, to see if I'm getting a good deal. If you travel to a different area that you are unfamiliar with, the entire area is at your fingertips. I can even use my smart phone to communicate over amateur radio bands (have to be licensed to get the app EchoLink) without the presence of my radio. Good stuff.
The weather app lets me track how long I have until the storm hits and it will let up to go outside again.

Ben

sat123.com
"Free" sat phone with one, or two, year agreement depending on plan and satellite system. Not cheap but not as bad as it used to be. If the cell towers go down you still have service. Of course, if they shut down the cell towers you won't have anyone to call.

I did the same thing you did Grimm. Our bill went from $209 a month to $28.00. The problem is you have to be a Spectrum customer or you can't sign up.
I seriously considered switching to a flip phone but I use my phone for other things and I need a smart phone.
Amazon has a bunch of flip phones under $50. Might be worth checking out.
I would also be there are people with old phones stashed in a drawer you might get free.

I was already a Spectrum internet customer when I decided to switch my phone. I did get a new phone when I switched BUT you can make payments just to the cost of the phone whenever you want. If I didn't need to replace my old phone I would have just switched companies.

When we move out of state we are going with Patriot Mobile which is about the same cost but is a Christian company.

I was really bummed when my flip phone broke about a decade ago. There were no flip phone replacements. I ended up with an Android, and it worked until it didn't about 5 years ago, because it was a G2 (I think) and I needed an upgrade for service. Daughter got a new job, had to turn in her phone, and we went phone shopping. My phone service at the old place had bothered me, so the timing was good for me. Because I am a senior citizen, I got a good rate for us. Phones are paid off. Daughter handles the bills and I know how much I pay her, but no idea of the total bill. I think she pays less than I do. I'm okay with that. Money gets transferred from my bank account to hers automatically on the first of the month. We use the same credit union, so that part is easy. Now that I have a smart phone, I can text clients, clients and potential clients text me. Clients can pay me via Venmo on my phone. I do have it on my computer as well. Since I am away from home a bit on certain days, it has been really helpful for me to have a smart phone. I especially like the weather app and the clock. I use the clock timer to time my dog park visits. I also have set the alarm for the days that I pick up my first dog at 7:30 in the morning. We recently had a software update, and the weather app has gotten much more detailed. "Drizzle starting in 10 minutes and lasting approximately 40 minutes." I like having YouTube on my phone. Once in a while, if it is kind of quiet at a dog park, I can play one of my music playlists while I watch the dogs. I could upload Spotify for music, but I have not.

I truly just don't need it. Half the time my cell phone dies in my purse and I don't even know it. I really hardly ever use it and mostly only check to see that it's charged
Why do you even want to bother replacing the phone then?

If you only want it for emergencies, you could probably borrow one of the five bazillion other ones that surround you and are owned by people in your vicinity.

I believe that if you have a cellphone, you don't have to even pay for service with a carrier if all's you want to do is dial 911. I think that call is available and free from any cellphone, whether it's actively registered with a carrier or not. So just buy some cheap used phone that at least supports current cellular technology. Smart phone or not. You can probably even ask a friend (or a stranger) to give you one of their old abandoned ones for free. Or go into a Goodwill store or something. Heck, you can probably even get an iPhone 5 for free these days. You could dial 911 with it without paying for service. The WiFi on it will still work. You can still put apps on it (if those apps don't require cellular connectivity) and play solitaire if you want. The 5's are small, unlike the newer phones these days, which are the size of a school bus.

I have a trac phone. I hate a phone. Did i say i hate a phone? Not expensive. I pay about $35 every 3 months. But I dont use it much.

we tried to go to patriot mobil for hubby. But he has to purchase a new phone, they dont offer any plans with an old phone and we dont want to have to buy a $300 phone

...I believe that if you have a cellphone, you don't have to even pay for service with a carrier if all's you want to do is dial 911. I think that call is available and free from any cellphone, whether it's actively registered with a carrier or not. ...

That is my understanding too.

I believe that if you have a cellphone, you don't have to even pay for service with a carrier if all's you want to do is dial 911. I think that call is available and free from any cellphone, whether it's actively registered with a carrier or not

That is correct, except for this upgrade the cell companies are doing. Older cell phones won't even communicate with any tower and can't dial 911. They were specific about that in the notice I got from my provider.

That is correct, except for this upgrade the cell companies are doing. Older cell phones won't even communicate with any tower and can't dial 911. They were specific about that in the notice I got from my provider.
True. Which is why I said:
So just buy some cheap used phone that at least supports current cellular technology.
But this may have been better worded as "Does not rely on deprecated cellular technology". Technically, "current" technology includes that which is "soon to be discontinued". But that's not what I was getting at in my comment. So my error in not being more explicit in what I was saying.

Why do you even want to bother replacing the phone then?

If you only want it for emergencies, you could probably borrow one of the five bazillion other ones that surround you and are owned by people in your vicinity.
I don't use it often, but I do like to have it when I'm further away. I didn't really mean necessarily like a 911 emegency, although that too. I meant more of a...I need to pick up a part for hubs but don't really know the exact part number I need...kind of thing. I sometimes contact him (or vise versa) if I'm in town just in case they need something b/c it is quite a drive, which is why I make sure it is charged before I go on a longer trip like that. And no, I won't be asking anyone to use their cell phone, which is why I have the one I have now. I won't depend on others (especially strangers) for anything I might need.
I have a trac phone. I hate a phone. Did i say i hate a phone? Not expensive. I pay about $35 every 3 months. But I dont use it much.
I used to have a tracphone years ago. Back then, I couldn't get more than a few months service at a time and I would have to make a special trip in town to get a minutes card. I'm sure things have changed since then though. I prefer to either prepay several months in advance or get billed for it like I do now. I guess I didn't even know tracphones were still a thing.

I don't use it often, but I do like to have it when I'm further away. I didn't really mean necessarily like a 911 emegency, although that too. I meant more of a...I need to pick up a part for hubs but don't really know the exact part number I need...kind of thing. I sometimes contact him (or vise versa) if I'm in town just in case they need something b/c it is quite a drive, which is why I make sure it is charged before I go on a longer trip like that. And no, I won't be asking anyone to use their cell phone, which is why I have the one I have now. I won't depend on others (especially strangers) for anything I might need.

I used to have a tracphone years ago. Back then, I couldn't get more than a few months service at a time and I would have to make a special trip in town to get a minutes card. I'm sure things have changed since then though. I prefer to either prepay several months in advance or get billed for it like I do now. I guess I didn't even know tracphones were still a thing.
I thought trac phones were going down with the 3g?

Latest posts

Back