Check your propane tanks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not sure if this is nationwide but it's definitely true around here.

For many years, when you went to re-fill your 20# propane tank, they weren't checking the last inspection date and would fill it so long as the tank looked to be in decent shape.

Not anymore. If the last inspection dated on the top rim of the tank is greater than 12 years ago, they won't fill it anymore. Well, I had tanks going back as far as the 1980's.

Again, not sure if this is nationwide but around here, the places that do the propane tank exchange put them on sale during the summer holidays (Memorial Day, 4th & Veteran's day) with the reduced pricing being around $10-11.00.

If you have old/empty tanks, this coming week may be a good time to swap for newly inspected, full tanks. I took 8 old tanks in on Memorial Day weekend and swapped for newly inspected tanks so I'm good to go for another 12 years. Being an exchange, I own the new tanks. I just ripped off their labels they put on the outside of the tank.

Why? They took my tank that I owned in exchange for one of their tanks. That's a trade. They're not giving you yours back.
Yes, I have thought this is how it has worked for a long time. You turn in a tank, no matter how old, or out of date, and the company that refills them also updates or disposes of them.

Propane, scuba, oxygen, etc. tanks are pressure tested and visually inspected and then re-stamped with a new date. The valves are removed, then the tanks are visually inspected. After inspection they are filled with water and tested with hydraulic pressure. Water does not compress like air does so if a tank ruptures it just ruptures and immediately relieves all the pressure where a rupture when filled with air would be an explosion.

This takes some equipment and a certified technician which is not a significant problem for a large company and is factored into the cost of the product.

Propane, scuba, oxygen, etc. tanks are pressure tested and visually inspected and then re-stamped with a new date. The valves are removed, then the tanks are visually inspected. After inspection they are filled with water and tested with hydraulic pressure. Water does not compress like air does so if a tank ruptures it just ruptures and immediately relieves all the pressure where a rupture when filled with air would be an explosion.

This takes some equipment and a certified technician which is not a significant problem for a large company and is factored into the cost of the product.

Thanks for thh reply Caribou. I kind of figured that was how it worked but did not know for sure. Now I do.

I had a propane tank that was out of date.
The girl said she could inspect it and re-stamp it for $5.00.
OK.
She took a screwdriver and scrapped at the rust then put a new date on it.
She was happy so was I.
When I have an outdated tank I just take it to Blue Rino and swap it out.
New tanks have a triangle shaped handle that indicates the newer safety valve.
Some places will not fill tanks with a round handle.
Blue Rino lost a lawsuit for under filling their tanks.
They now very clearly state they only have 15 pounds and not 20.

Here in Southern Oregon dealer sell propane by the gallon and a lot of the 5 gallon tanks with the safety valve and float inside only take about 4 1/2 gallons, no big deal since I'm only paying by the gallon. And yes tanks with the new type of valve also have to be re-valved every so many years from what I understand.

Here in Southern Oregon dealer sell propane by the gallon and a lot of the 5 gallon tanks with the safety valve and float inside only take about 4 1/2 gallons, no big deal since I'm only paying by the gallon. And yes tanks with the new type of valve also have to be re-valved every so many years from what I understand.
The tanks can only be filled to 80% of their stated capacity to allow for expansion.

I'm fortunate to have a place within about 35 miles that will recertify propane tanks. When they do that, they put in a new valve anyway and unless you tell them otherwise, will repaint the tank, too. I've had several of the 7 gal RV tanks done. Should probably get some of the smaller BBQ tanks done, too. It does cost a bit to have them done but I feel better about that then just exchanging at one of those quickie places. I've not had the best of luck with those.

Latest posts

Back