Cheshire Pork and Apple Pie

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jishinsjourney

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hey friends! Since we talked a little bit about Townsends over on the “what are you watching” thread, I thought I’d post a recipe I cobbled together from one of their episodes. In the episode, the recipe calls for Pippin apples, and if you have them — we are lucky enough that we do, our one apple tree is a Newtown Pippin —they are spectacular in this. But any sweet-tart baking apple will do. Granny Smiths are probably a bit too tart.

We do this as a single-crust pie with the crust on top because my husband is diabetic and gluten-intolerant. I do a GF piecrust but am looking for a better one.

This is a wonderfully comforting meal in the fall and winter with a crisp salad with lemon vinaigrette.

Cheshire Pork Pie
(adapted from Townsends’ redaction from The Universal Cook, serves 8)

* 1 or 2 pie crusts. Use your favorite recipe or storebought
* 2 lb boneless pork loin chops, pounded to ½” thickness
* 4-6 small apples, Pippins preferred, or 2-3 large grocery-store sized apples, peeled if desired, cored, and sliced.
* salt, pepper, and nutmeg
* ½ - 1 c. white wine
* 2 tsp brown sugar or maple sugar
* 3 Tbsp butter, divided

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

If you are using two pie crusts, line a deep-dish pie plate with the first crust. If you are only using one, reserve it for the top crust.

Pound the pork to an even thickness, between ¼ and ½” thick. Season generously with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Sear quickly on both sides in 1 Tbsp of the butter. Reserve the pork.

Layer the pork and sliced apples in the pie plate, first a layer of pork, then apples, then pork again. Drizzle with white wine (how much you will use depends on if you’re using one or two crusts, but it should just be enough to braise the pork, not bathe the pork), sprinkle with sugar, and dot with the remaining butter.

Cover the pie with the second pie crust and crimp the edges. Or tuck a single crust over the top. Cut a vent in the crust, and bake at 375°F for approximately 45 minutes, until the pie is golden and cooked through.

Allow to rest a few minutes before slicing into it and serving — if you can!

This sounds delicious. I find it interesting how cooking has evolved, or maybe devolved in some instances. I love the Townsends. There is much to be learned from watching them.
It is really good! It’s so simple, but the flavors are so satisfying. I love watching them too; I feel like I’ve learned so much not just in the kitchen, but about how complex and labor-intensive life really was at the time.

Latest posts

Back