Chest freezers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So the reason I hooked up the second inverter was to be able to run this chest freezer we got some years ago. Never had the power capacity until now. One of the few draw backs to life off grid! Anyway got the inverter installed got all the dry food stored in there out and cleaned it up. Plugged it in and left it run quite a few hours only to find it no longer works. I can hear it running but it doesn't cool at all. It's just a small Frigidaire chest about 40 long 20 wide and 30 deep. I got it second hand years ago tested and cleaned it and left it sit until we had power to run it. It draws 5 amps when running. Now this brings up the point of this post. I just ordered a new Koolatron 7CF from Amazon for $229 about the same size. (Now another Amazon seller has it for $179 BUT you'll have to wait a month or so to get it.) Mine is supposed to get delivered 8/9/21. I haven't got it yet but looking at the literature it appears to use a LOT less power. Amazons site says it uses 150 watts @ 120 volts when running. Which according to my math (likely faulty) is 1.25 amps. If that's the case then the second inverter will not be needed to run it. Which drives home my attempt at a point new freezers are a lot more efficient than 10 year old ones are. With the way things are going I want all my little pieces of the puzzle here when the balloon goes up. Which I feel like that could happen at any time now and almost certain another lockdown will happen within the next 2 months.

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear how that koolatron freezer works. We got a really small fridge koolatron and it is a failure. It cools to a point, not enough to be useful. Just use it as a storage box now.

We did get a 12 volt Sunstar freezer last month. First time I have had a working freezer or fridge in 3 years. It was hell expensive but it's got massive insulation, works awesomely, and draws very little power (65watts @ 12volts) with no inverter needed.

Sorry to hear yours didn't work correctly. The reviews are really good out of 2267 reviews 77% were 5 star! I will post on how it works out and how much power it actually uses.

I would LOVE to have one of those in 48 volt! But the price is WAY outa my league!

Last edited:
Well it got here a bit damaged monday. Took pics and showed Amazon so they refunded 30%. We ended up bringing it in the house since it's a lot smaller than the old one was. It draws so much less power than the old one did we ended up not having to run the second inverter. It's hooked up and running CONSTANTLY. I'm hoping once we get it filled and it has a chance to level out it will stop running non stop and cool down to 0 through -5. So far it's only gotten down to about 7F but I can still adjust it one more level colder. We have it about 1/3 full after trips to town two days in a row. We'll keep going until it's full and then rotate stuff in and out as we use it. Trying not to put so much in it at once that it can't freeze. I also feel it's drawing more power than they claimed so I ordered a watt meter that goes in line. That way I can see exactly how much power it's using. I'm wondering if the damage is part of why it's not getting colder faster. It's getting really hot on the outside right in line with where the corner got dented which makes me wonder if one of the heat exchange tubes got partially crushed in that corner. For such a small freezer it sure holds a lot of food. lol

Well it got here a bit damaged monday. Took pics and showed Amazon so they refunded 30%. We ended up bringing it in the house since it's a lot smaller than the old one was. It draws so much less power than the old one did we ended up not having to run the second inverter. It's hooked up and running CONSTANTLY. I'm hoping once we get it filled and it has a chance to level out it will stop running non stop and cool down to 0 through -5. So far it's only gotten down to about 7F but I can still adjust it one more level colder. We have it about 1/3 full after trips to town two days in a row. We'll keep going until it's full and then rotate stuff in and out as we use it. Trying not to put so much in it at once that it can't freeze. I also feel it's drawing more power than they claimed so I ordered a watt meter that goes in line. That way I can see exactly how much power it's using. I'm wondering if the damage is part of why it's not getting colder faster. It's getting really hot on the outside right in line with where the corner got dented which makes me wonder if one of the heat exchange tubes got partially crushed in that corner. For such a small freezer it sure holds a lot of food. lol

I suspect you know this but it will run nonstop, or only cycle off for a few minutes at a time, while it is trying to reach the set temperature. If it doesn't cycle off you might consider unplugging it for about a half hour at a time and let it run for an hour, then repeat until it gets fully cold. I hope that brand works well for you and is reliable. Hopefully, when I get a chance to purchase another freezer I can get a name brand model, and even more hopeful I can find one made in either the USA or Canada/Mexico. I know that will be difficult but years ago I know Whirlpool was one of very few companies that still made most/some products in the USA. By the time I get the chance it's possible the USA companies will be shut down due to the pandemic and lack of employees.

Thanks I hope it works for years to come. It was all I could scrape up cash for I don't use credit other than my mortgage! I would love to buy AMERICAN EVERYTHING unfortunately I just don't have the money. I haven't worked in years due to MS I'm only good for 2-3 hours at a go then rest and do it again. I'm just happy I am able to do as much as I do.

I was raised on chest freezer, we froze more than we canned, mostly vegetables & meat from the farm.
We use the big 6 feet ones, that the movies have body hidden, Father call it a half hog freezer.
At least 18 cf freezer, I have one for 20 years, but it is a 110v.

Last edited:
I just got back from a freezer buying road trip. I couldn't get a 24 cft in a timely manner so I settled for six 10.8 cft, off the floor, and a washing machine thrown in. Now I have a spare washing machine.
six X 10.8 = 64.8

64.8 + 80 - 21.6 (spare) = just barely enough.

To keep this much freezer goods, one must have back up freezers in case of failure and also back up power. I keep my freezers in an unheated well insulated outdoor room to keep summer heat to a minimum and make use of the freezing winter temperatures as well. Also, goods are organized by specific categories in specific freezers. No mixing of random items or I would be done for.

Flours, nuts, rice, oatmeal and other dry goods live in the spare freezers for convenient access and can be kicked to the curb if a meat or veggie freezer fritzes out. I just lost one freezer after 15 years, so I must assume the others could go as well, therefore, extra new freezers on standby.

Now I am on the hunt for a couple of old fridges to hold chickens while processing them and for keeping stuff that is either being brined or salted for smoking.

64.8 + 80 - 21.6 (spare) = just barely enough.

To keep this much freezer goods, one must have back up freezers in case of failure and also back up power. I keep my freezers in an unheated well insulated outdoor room to keep summer heat to a minimum and make use of the freezing winter temperatures as well. Also, goods are organized by specific categories in specific freezers. No mixing of random items or I would be done for.

Flours, nuts, rice, oatmeal and other dry goods live in the spare freezers for convenient access and can be kicked to the curb if a meat or veggie freezer fritzes out. I just lost one freezer after 15 years, so I must assume the others could go as well, therefore, extra new freezers on standby.

Now I am on the hunt for a couple of old fridges to hold chickens while processing them and for keeping stuff that is either being brined or salted for smoking.
Public Service Announcement

Some new freezers are not intended to be be used in cold environments!

Check the owners manual for minimum environment temps.

Ben

Public Service Announcement

Some new freezers are not intended to be be used in cold environments!

Check the owners manual for minimum environment temps.

Ben
Years ago I had a friend that had freezer problems and the guy that came out to fix the freezer told him the same thing. Older freezers could be put almost anywhere, I saw one that was under the eave of a home and it had a 4" block of ice on its rusty top but was still giving the owner very good service, on the other hand I've had brand new freezers go bad for no reason. The freezer we have now is a Kenmore 16 cu. ct., a few years back the thermostat switch went bad, I replaced it and it runs like new and it's out on our north side deck. I will say that, even though we don't have one, having a freezer alarm might be a good idea as it could save a lot of food from going bad if you didn't find out until it that the freezer had stopped running until it was too late. Most freezer don't like large empty spaces, they run the most efficient when they are full. We keep filled water bottles in the empty spaces, these frozen bottles are also used in our Colman coolers when we go to town for heat sensitive foods.

Years ago I had a friend that had freezer problems and the guy that came out to fix the freezer told him the same thing. Older freezers could be put almost anywhere, I saw one that was under the eave of a home and it had a 4" block of ice on its rusty top but was still giving the owner very good service, on the other hand I've had brand new freezers go bad for no reason. The freezer we have now is a Kenmore 16 cu. ct., a few years back the thermostat switch went bad, I replaced it and it runs like new and it's out on our north side deck. I will say that, even though we don't have one, having a freezer alarm might be a good idea as it could save a lot of food from going bad if you didn't find out until it that the freezer had stopped running until it was too late. Most freezer don't like large empty spaces, they run the most efficient when they are full. We keep filled water bottles in the empty spaces, these frozen bottles are also used in our Colman coolers when we go to town for heat sensitive foods.
Thank you confirming!

I can speculate that has somethint to do with the refrigerants used. Too cold and the refrigerants freeze.

We purchased one for on the back porch but when i read the manual we moved it inside.

Ben

The one we got is called "garage ready" IIRC it says 0F-100F is the operating range. First thing I put in it when we got it was gallons of water to freeze. Just like our fridge gallons of water are a large cold mass that help stabilize the temps.

Like Viking, I keep a boat load of the 710 ml pop bottles frozen and ready to go. I carry 2- 6 coolers when going to town. The bottles get packed into every available crack and cranny in the freezers until they are needed.

I don't worry about having alarms as checking the freezers is done first thing in the morning and again at night, no matter what. I also put extra insulation on the outside.

Speaking of coolers, I walked by some average looking ones yesterday and got a case of sticker shock. $99.00! I paid $20.00-$30.00 back in the expat days when we traveled with 6 per family member. Sure happy I never gave away the last batch.

Last edited:
ClemKadiddleho, I am wondering if you use any other food storage? Like Freeze drying, canning, dehydrating foods ?
Why or why not? I do freezer & dehydrating & canning.

Freezing, dehydrating, canning, root cellar, salting/smoking, and the traditional dry goods. Ingredients for making the basics..

I grew up old school so I don't go for the grocery store convenience foods unless it's an easy to store but a pain in the behind to make thing like ketchup, mustard and tomato paste or necessities like salt, prague powders 1&2, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and starches like corn, tapioca and potato.

To me, it is simply impossible to buy and store enough ready to go food to last any length of time. That is why canned goods can only be a small part of it and the risk of frozen goods comes into play.

The amount of jars needed to keep just one year of food is crazy. The number of store canned goods needed is also crazy.

Having separate ingredients in other forms means that a jar or two of this or that, some scraps from the freezer, some dried veggies and a few handfuls of pot barely gives me a gallon or two of soup which has the potential to last most of the week depending on the numbers being fed; much less of a storage foot print.

To use one can of soup per week for a year, you must stock 52 cans or 4 cases. Multiply that out by how many are eating and how many times per week you expect to eat soup and the volume needed gets scary. Than there is whatever else one wishes to eat on the other 6 days of the week.

I also feel that the mental mind set to test the storage life suggestions is incredibly important. If things truly go to hell in a hand basket the best by date is not your friend. Start pushing the envelope now. Meat lasting only six to nine months in the freezer is bs. Get and use the materials so it will last six years and be as good as the day you put it in there. I grew up bottom feeding out of freezers The horrors of Aunt Bertha's freezers are to be avoided but I also know the experience is survivable.

I am not overly concerned with whether or not someone can smell my cooking. I just want a lot of something to cook.

I have a decent supply of TP but also don't care if it disappears. I don't stock paper goods and haven't owned a roll of paper towel in 12 years.

I don't use veggie oils; just animal fats that when canned or frozen last practically forever and don't wreck the cast iron.

I care about being able to restock when I get banned from the grocery store and we can all see the writing on the wall for that one now.

To me, it is simply impossible to buy and store enough ready to go food to last any length of time.

I care about being able to restock when I get banned from the grocery store and we can all see the writing on the wall for that one now.
I am on the same page with the possibility of being banned from the grocery store . This is a new phenomenon , that has raised itself from the pits of hell . The proposal by some in the government , take the body alteration or be banned from stores has risen rapidly in just a matter of a few months . Storing food is great and sensible but for the long haul to resist the borg , producing your own food and other necessities is a must .

Yes, fermenting is really easy and takes almost no extra supplies. Pickling requires vinegar which must also be made, or stocked in mass quantity. Fermented pickles don't need vinegar, taste great and are better for you.

6 cabbages and a crock will make a lot of sourkrout. Sourkrout mixed with rice is surprisingly good. Add some fried garlic or summer sausage and extra yum. Although I don't do spam, it might work as well.

the inline watt meter came in today and I hooked the freezer through it. According to it the freezer looks like it draws between 60 and 80 watts while running. Funny thing is it fluctuates a lot. My best guess is pressure building up and releasing as it cools. IDK

Getting a 7 Cu Ft chest freezer delivered tomorrow. Would have liked a bigger frost-free unit but both price and availability were a factor. My fridge only has a 6.5 Cu Ft freezer so I’ll be doubling my space and one nice feature is the new chest freezer has a built-in temperature alarm.
I can't say for sure about new ones but the older frost free freezers DID NOT work well for long term because they heat up every day to defrost so they were no different than a regular freezer in that regard.

I can't say for sure about new ones but the older frost free freezers DID NOT work well for long term because they heat up every day to defrost so they were no different than a regular freezer in that regard.
The Princess keeps her non frost free freezed packed full to the top. Simply no place for the frost to form.

Ben

For a small unit, I sure have a lot of room for ice cream now. 😄 Will start the freezer after the required ‘sit time’ after being upended in transport.

8BBD975D-F715-4B18-BE4E-AAD4343AB6B5.jpeg

For a small unit, I sure have a lot of room for ice cream now. 😄 Will start the freezer after the required ‘sit time’ after being upended in transport.

View attachment 70963
That looks a bit bigger than the last freezer The Princess acquired.

20210815_182953.jpg

The basket makes for easy access to the seed colkection.

Ben

Latest posts

Back