Chia Seeds, a super food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We all probably first heard of chia seeds because of chia pets. A few years ago I read about chia pudding, soaking chia seeds in milk a few hours. The seeds swell and become gelatinous.

Recently there was a recipe posted in the forum that called for chia seeds. Protein balls

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/healthy-living/are-chia-seeds-a-superfood/
Are Chia Seeds a Superfood?

How many times have you heard the term “superfood” lately? If you are at all involved in the world of health, fitness, or nutrition, then chances are this word has come up at least a few times this week. It is often used to describe foods that are supposedly best for your overall health, but what exactly is a superfood? Dictionary.com describes a superfood as “a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being.” Now, that is definitely a very general definition, but there are some foods that we can agree fall into that category of being “especially beneficial.” One of the foods that most experts agree to be “super” is chia, so we are going to take you through the benefits of adding chia seeds to your diet to discover whether or not chia seeds are a superfood, and what benefits these tiny little seeds hold for our bodies and our well-being.
What Are Chia Seeds?
Chances are you have heard of chia seeds, even if you have never really seen them or tried to incorporate them into your diet. Chia seeds are, of course, seeds, and they come from a plant in Mexico called Salvia Hispanica. Individual chia seeds are tiny, kind of the same size as a single grain of quinoa--and like quinoa, chia seeds come in multiple colors. You will mostly find the white or black (or light or dark) chia seeds in your local stores. They are slightly different nutritionally, but both are very good for you and can be used the same way. Chia seeds have been consumed by people as far back as the Aztec civilization, and were touted even then as a superfood--the legends claim that warriors would battle for an entire day on only a spoonful of chia seeds. While we do not necessarily recommend warring (or really doing anything) on that few calories, experts definitely agree that chia seeds are a perfect energy and health boost to add to your daily diet!

Much more to the article.

Last edited:
I'm not finding the recipe I've used, but it is very similar to this one. I didn't use maple syrup, but I did use the other things. This is a good food for breakfast or for a snack. Edit: I used coconut milk, but I am thinking I'd like to make it with the milk in my fridge. However, with the seeds and canned coconut milk, it is an easy thing to store in preps.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/chia-seed-pudding/Chia Seed Pudding

Prep Time: 15 mins
Chilling Time: 8 hrs
Serves 3 to 4

This easy chia seed pudding recipe is a perfect healthy breakfast or snack! Store it in a lidded jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Vegan, gluten-free.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups light coconut milk or homemade almond milk
  • 6 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
Optional toppings
  • Tart cherries, (I usually get them frozen)
  • Blueberries
  • Chopped nuts or granola
  • Coconut flakes
  • Maple syrup
Instructions
  • In a lidded 3- to 4-cup jar, combine the milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Cover and shake to combine. Chill for a few hours, then give it a good stir to loosen any clumps. Continue chilling for 12 to 18 hours for the pudding to set.
  • Serve with fruit, nuts, coconut flakes, and maple syrup as desired.

Last edited:
I see that chia seeds come from a plant whose Latin name is Salvia Hispanica. I am going to try to grow some in a pot and see if they will grow. I have a friend who has a degree in biology. When he was in college, one of his professors told him that even though poppy seeds are treated, some of them will also grow. He tried it and some grew.

I have made crackers before. They are a bit labor intensive, but if we could no long buy crackers, making them is an option.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/seedy-oat-crackersSeedy Oat Crackers
BY ANNA JONES

Image may contain Food Breakfast Oatmeal Plant and Produce

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/creat...cfe9/1:1/w_360,c_limit/seedy-oat-crackers.jpg
This crackers recipe features a variety of seeds, and the combination of colors and textures is impressive, but you can use fewer types—just make sure you use chia seeds (they're not optional) and the total volume stays the same.

Ingredients
8 Servings
1 cup old-fashioned oats
¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
⅓ cup raw sunflower seeds
⅓ cup sesame seeds
3 tablespoons chia seeds
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Preparation
Step 1
Preheat oven to 375°. Mix oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, poppy seeds, and salt in a large bowl. Stir oil, maple syrup, and ¾ cup room-temperature water in a medium bowl to combine. Pour liquid over oat mixture and toss until mixture is completely soaked. Let sit 10 minutes; mixture will absorb water and thicken.
Step 2
Form oat mixture into a ball and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press a second sheet of parchment paper directly on top and, using a rolling pin, flatten to ⅛" thick (the shape doesn’t matter). Remove top layer of parchment.
Step 3
Bake cracker until golden brown around edges, 15–20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn out, parchment side up. Place a fresh sheet of parchment on baking sheet. Remove parchment from cracker, carefully turn cracker over, and return to baking sheet. Bake until firm and golden brown around edges, 15–20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet, then break into pieces with your hands.
Step 4
Do Ahead: Crackers can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories (kcal) 260 Fat (g) 17 Saturated Fat (g) 3 Cholesterol (mg) 0 Carbohydrates (g) 17 Dietary Fiber (g) 5 Total Sugars (g) 2 Protein (g) 10 Sodium (mg) 140

Chia & flax, as well as a few other are mixed in my food, by DW.
I can not tell when or where, she says it good for you.

I made chia pudding for awhile there and would mix it up with strawberries or blue berries. I used almond milk, honey (instead of maple syrup) and chia seeds. Good idea on the cinnamon.

Latest posts

Back