Chicken Breeds Pro and Cons

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ISA Browns are quiet as little mice. The only time I hear them is if they see me approaching. RR's make a lot more noise during the day, more likely to get upset. Thats why I like to keep a RR rooster around even when I have all ISA hens. They'll let me know if a critter is sneaking around.

Sex linked are popular if you don't want a lot of straight run "roosters". I like any heavy breed. And the roosters get culled to eat anyway. Kind of turned off to meat chickens. I know it's fast meat at 8 weeks, but their skin is just so gross from dragging the ground, I end of skinning them. Never had ISA browns. But Rhode Island Red roosters are about as mean as they get. Jersey Giants are big, mellow, quiet birds. Have 95 assorted straight run chicks coming at the end of the month, so I'll see what we get

ISA Browns are quiet as little mice. The only time I hear them is if they see me approaching. RR's make a lot more noise during the day, more likely to get upset. Thats why I like to keep a RR rooster around even when I have all ISA hens. They'll let me know if a critter is sneaking around.

These black sex links make lots of noise laying but then hardly know they are here.
But their eggs don't look as 'natural' to me as the other hens eggs we had. Plus the texture is not the same no matter if boiled, fried or scrambled.

We don't use have roosters or eat our hens,only have chickens for eggs.So we don't want bantams but do like smaller breeeds to save on feed.

Last edited:
My great old friend Roger kept Rhode Island Reds, that were free range in his yard. The rooster was a genuine character. Liked to sneak up behind you and peck you on the calf, then run just fast enough to keep out of reach when you chased him. Some summer Saturday afternoons several of us hung out there, drinking beer and smoking pot, and occasionally dueling with the rooster. And trying without much success to avoid stepping in chickenshit. Intellectual stuff, y'know.

Dawn wanted chickens for one thing only: to lay pretty-colored eggs Our first batch of pullets included three Buff Orpingtons, three 'easter eggers', two Salmon Favarels, and the rest Auricanas. We got them at one day old and played with them constantly, checking for sticky butt, picking them up and putting them back down; by the time they were about six weeks old, they'd follow us around like puppies (and still do).

Our second batch of eight included some legbars, copper marans and a few others. They're five months old now and just beginning to lay. Our last set will be in mid-August, and will be mostly marans and australorps. I also bought and processed six Cornish Crosses, but like Amish Heart, I didn't enjoy the work involved.

We don't keep records on them, since they're all hens, and 'mail-order' ones at that. The 12 layers give us about 7-9 eggs a day, and despite the various colors, they all taste great!

Scroll down & you will see photos in order.

I checked out the link, thanks. Through the years I've had 7 or 8 of the 20 breeds listed. The descriptions are on target... good list.

Sort of funny, the isa browns are described as "affectionate". I'd never thought of using that word but it is accurate. If I sit down in the pen they'll walk up my legs, fly up and try to sit on my shoulders. They do like to hang out with people. The dozen I just raised more so than any clutch I've had. The trick is to keep moving in the pen. If I stop for a moment I can barely walk again without tripping. They'll actually stand on my feet if I stop moving.

They are great layers, little egg machines... I like to have a few RR's around also, just to keep an eye out for critters. They will make noise if something is wrong. A good mix having both breeds.

peeps 21 may c (2) sm.JPG
peeps 21 may c (4) sm.JPG

I like RIR's, had many over the years that were pretty mellow, however the toughest and pretty mellow ( other than a rooster I can't turn my back on), I have found was barrred rocks, they seem to be the best for our area, very tolerant of cold to hot temps, lay a lot of eggs and have been very healthy. All ours are getting old and yesterday we lost three to the 100+ degree temps, two hens and that rotten rooster are left, time to get some youngsters

We raise chickens and turkeys. Moved to our farm last year, so had to start all over. Have guineas, too. Rirs are good layers, but the roosters, I've found, can be very mean and retarded, and have mostly ended up being eaten, because I won't stand for it. Rocks are dumber than dumb, but good layers. My favorite breads are what we have right now, and I incubate a new group of them each year. That'd be Jersey Giants, Easter Eggers, Buff Orps, and Americaunas. I like that they are large birds. They eat well as well as lay well.
I did do a hatching of crossing between Rirs and Jersey Giants, and they were large, beautiful, mellow birds.

Latest posts

Back