Chicken Plucker

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5000-10000 a years, plucking every eight weeks in three cycles, per year.
The machine will last years, you tube are full of people who raise their on poultry, rabbit, pigs & beef steers for meat.
The pluckier has been around for years, sale a fresh hen from the cooler for $20.00-$28.00 X 5000.=$100,000.-$140,000. That gross per year & you will need farm land.
But some small farms use the pluckier to dress a few hundred for home use.

I don't pluck birds anymore. I skin them. I prefer skinless for cooking and eating.

I showed my 24 year old son how to skin a bird, on the farm, we plucked them with hot water, no fancy pancy machine.
But if I was going to do ten or more birds per day, I would get the machine.
It is like a smoke or a beer or that tenth gun, you can do without it, but it is better to have it.

Skinning the bird with feathers on it it easier than plucking it and then skinning it in the kitchen before I cook it.
The coyotes take care of the skins and the feathers. No garbage!

I don't know if this one has a name on it, never noticed. It could be homemade. My neighbors... last time I had a big batch of young roosters to process I took them to my neighbor. Traded some of the birds for using the plucker.

This one works great!

Drum a  (4).jpg
Drum a  (8).jpg

I bought a plucker this past summer. I don't like to skin them. It wastes good stock making stuff, and fat. Also, you can't roast a skinned chicken and you lose the wing tips at the very least.

If I only had 10 to 20 to do, I wouldn't bother with a plucker. I had 100 to do. To send them to a processor would cost me $4.50 Can. per bird plus a few hours drive and gas. I have had them come back half beat to death and mangled. No guarantee about cleanliness either.

With a plucker I was able to do 15 birds per day, on my own. Around 15 minutes per bird start to finish including catch, wack and bleed out. Total of 7 days to process.

Plucking by hand would have doubled the time. For me, the plucker was worth it.

That looks like the one I bought. Mine was half the price because it was used once and returned. I took a chance and ordered it. It had a small dent in a frame corner but works just fine. I am happy with it. Mine does turkeys as well.

The only problem we have had with it is that by the time the fair was over the turkeys were all to big for it.

Latest posts

Back