Chipmunks aplenty

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
Report from a fiend:

"I failed to mow my lawn last evening as planned because a friend I haven't seen in years showed up and we visited instead. A lifelong resident in this area, he's always liked to hunt (both bow and gun), and mentioned that he got his 65th deer this past season. He's also had a chipmunk problem where he lives on the Paddock Road just across the iron bridge. Chipmunks were getting into his truck and raising hell, and they were chirping outside enough to annoy him. He didn't want to, but he started shooting them with his 410 shotgun. He expected to get 20, maybe 30. So far in a short time he's gotten 121, and there's chipmunks still all around there. He's spent $100 on shells. I mentioned about my using an air rifle (I didn't tell him my kill count is 0), and he said that's what he would have started with if he'd realized there would be so many, but now he doesn't feel like switching weaponry."

@VThillman Your friend need to improve his aim. He is missing more than he is hitting, based on the $100 spent on ammo and squirrel count of 121. Ammoseek pricing for 410 is about $80.00 to $90.00 for 250 rounds. Cheaper to use 12 or 20 ga. shotgun.

This is a friend of a friend, hence the quotes. Very experienced hunter, but I dunno the exact context of the $100; could be an expression of annoyance in the form of exaggeration. Personally, I wouldn't waste the ammo on chipmunks. I told my friend to suggest getting a couple 'semi-feral' cats from the humane society. What they didn't kill they might drive away. My downstream neighbor has a cat they 'rescued' from my outbuildings at about half-grown. He doesn't eat the critturs anymore, but he still catches them with some skill.

Latest posts

Back