Chlorine Shortage.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No shortage here. I stocked dry pool chlorine. Remember that bleach in a jug turns into ordinary water after a time.

No I didn't know that thanks for the info. Do we have longer time if its not open yet? We just use it now aand then to sterilize some things. We don't have a pool. We don'tkeep it long or store much.

I use a gallon at a time in my big water tank. I had stored a LOT and it didn’t get moved from the old place. I checked and the jugs now smell like water so I looked it up.
Found this just now, as a reference, about 20% loss per year. Becomes salty water.

“After the six-month expiration date, the sodium hypochlorite in bleach begins to degrade, at a rate of about 20 percent per year. Ultimately, due to the reaction of unstable ions, sodium hypochlorite (3NaOCl) breaks down into salt (2NaCl) and sodium chlorate (NaClO3), which is soluble in water. Bleach then becomes simple salt and water with no free chlorine molecules, meaning that there is no risk of chlorine gas being produced unless it is mixed with an acid or ammonia. Clorox estimates that their product breaks down to about 95 percent to 98 percent salt and water, with any remaining sodium hypochlorite or other ingredients breaking down rapidly into compounds that can be handled by a septic system or sewage treatment plant.”

so I looked it up. Found this just now, as a reference, about 20% loss per year. Becomes salty water.

“After the six-month expiration date, the sodium hypochlorite in bleach begins to degrade, at a rate of about 20 percent per year.

Thanks, now this is useful information! I used to have this info. Probably still do but have no idea where I filed it away at. Actually looked for it a couple of months ago.

Once you start prepping while on a farm... I have 10's of thousands of text files, pdf's and docx... occasionally one gets misfiled.

Now I know why it didn't go on clearance last fall, when I usually stock up. I buy the one inch tablets, they work good in the bird "pond" and if I need them for water purification.
Ponds in the sun will always green up with algae.We put our bird bath under a shady tree ,it stays clear much longer now. Its actually time to fill it back up before it turns green now that the algae can't photosensitize and grow.Sun feeds algae.

Back