Christmas Recipes And Favorites

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're having our annual cookie baking day next Saturday. Getting ready for that. Last year White Cracker Brittle was a hit. Ha. Recipe brought by our ex daughter in law who is black, and I'm white. It turned out really good.

Mama use to make good peanut brittle.
I never did try to make it. Those black women can cook use to go to a black owned restarent for some good soul food.

Microwave peanut brittle
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup (clear)
Cook 4 mins on high. (I stir at 1 min & 3 min)
Add 1 cup raw peanuts
Cook 3 1/2 min and stir
Add 1 tsp each, butter and vanilla & stir
Cook 1 1/2 min
Take out off microwave and put 1 level tsp baking soda
It will foam up. Be very careful with hot mixture. It will
Fry anything it touches.
Pour onto buttered cookie sheet and let cool. Break into pieces and
Enjoy!

I have made chocolate fudge in the past but not divinity. I am not "divine" enough to make or eat divinity. ;)

Does anyone make divinity these days? I remember Mom making it, and it was so light and had pecan bits in it. Yummy. She barely cooks these days. She's a lot older now.

My mom did for many years and she still does occasionally, but not very much as a lot of us (in my family) are keto.

While not the same here is a low carb recipe that is sorta kinda similar: Low carb white chocolate coconut fudge

Toffee! I don't make it, and I am trying to avoid sugar and sweets, but this is a recipe for toffee from one of the best toffees, ever.

http://paoniafarmandhome.com/enstroms-style-homemade-toffee/

Enstrom’s Style Toffee Recipe

2 3/4 Cup sugar
1 pound salted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup slivered almonds

1 – 12 oz pkg milk chocolate chip

3/4 cup whole almonds, chopped very, very finely in a blender- almost a powder

NOTE: Follow directions carefully and use a candy thermometer. Be sure to subtract two degrees Fahrenheit from a stated temperature for every 1000 feet you are above sea level. Test your thermometer with boiling water before starting and make any additional adjustments accordingly.

Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan – about 3 quart size over medium to medium high heat. Add the salt. When the butter is almost melted, add the sugar in quickly. Stir slowly, using a figure 8 motion with a wooden spoon. The sugar will not immediately dissolve or mix in, this is normal.

When the sugar absorbs into the butter the mixture will look more homogeneous and smooth. This takes 5-10 minutes. Then add the slivered almonds. This is what it will look like when you add the almonds. I would call this the blonde stage.

Continue to slowly stir the mixture in the saucepan for about another 10-15 minutes until the mixture reaches the hard crack stage. Do not hurry this process by increasing the heat or you risk failure. This is 290 ° F on a thermometer at sea level. You will notice that the sugar mixture is turning a darker more caramel color and it is almost starting to smell like burnt sugar. You can also drop a small amount of the mixture into iced water to test for the hard crack stage. Do not under cook. This picture shows how much darker the mixture becomes.

After the toffee hardens, about 30 minutes, melt half the chocolate chips in a double boiler and spread over the toffee in a thin layer. (I sprinkle chips on top of freshly poured hot toffee, cover and let melt for about 5 minutes, then spread melted chips.) Sprinkle lightly with finely diced like powder almost, almonds. When this is cooled, flip the toffee over and repeat. Spread the other half of the chocolate chips, melted over the toffee and sprinkle with finely chopped almonds. When it is totally cooled, put portions into cellophane bags tied with a ribbon to use for gifts.

Here's a couple cookie recipes that have come down through the family from my great grandmother.

Soft Sugar Cookies

2c Sugar
1c Lard (Crisco)
3 Eggs
1c Buttermilk (1c milk + 1 Tblspn Lemon juice) mix and let stand 20 min.
1 tspn Baking soda
2 tspn Vanilla
4-1/2 cups flour
Add flour.
Bake @ 350 for 8 minutes.

Molasses Cookies

1 cup lard (Crisco) 1 Cup Sugar
1 cup hot water 1 cup Green label molasses (full flavor)
2 tsp. ginger 2 tsp. cinnamon
5 cups flour 2 tsp baking soda

Mix Crisco & sugar
Add hot water, molasses, Baking Soda,Ginger & Cinnamon
Add flour & mix by hand (if you have lots of energy)
Drop by tsp. on to ungreased cookie sheet
Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 mins

P1030051.JPG

Favorite Cookie Recipes

I think, of all my cookie recipes, this is my favorite. It is a Holiday Season favorite of ours, a Christmas Cookie made with dear memories of a precious patient.Her family would always bring us a big platter of these cookies during the Holiday Season. I always think of her, and it has been many years since her passing, as she would say,"My name was Carr and I married a Ford" and we would all laugh and eat cookies together.She was a special lady. Her daughter gave me the recipe many years ago as a gift, and I cherish it.This recipe was their grandmother's, so it is very, very old.

RAISIN FILLED COOKIES

Dough:

3 cups brown sugar

1 cup Crisco Shortening

2 eggs

1 cup milk

Cream together and add:

2 teaspoons baking soda

3 teaspoons Cream of Tartar

6 cups flour

Mix all together. This makes a lovely soft, brown dough. Refrigerate at least 30

minutes or more before rolling out. I roll out just small batches at a time.(This

also makes just wonderful, plain sugar cookies)

Filling:

1 box of raisins (I prefer the dark brown ones)

Cover with water and add sugar to taste, I like mine sweet. Simmer

till done, use flour to thicken. (Use a couple spoons of flour to make

a paste, drop in the hot raisins, and stir till nice and thick. Cool filling.

Cut out the rolled dough. I usually just use a glass, and dip the rim in

flour, then cut out my circles. Works great for a cookie pattern. Pinch

the edges of the cookie together after you put about a TBSP of filling

in it, use the amount you want, or use a fork and dip the tines in flour,

press all around the circle of the cookie if you want them to be fancy.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees

if the cookies seem too brown. I use Pam spray on my cookie sheets.

Microwave peanut brittle, marshmallow fudge, got chocolate mix, fruitcake on my holiday menu. I’ve already made 5 batches of the peanut brittle.

Mardi Gras Bars Really rich, really good! Easy to make!

Melt 1 stick butter in 9x13 pan
Mix in 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 2 tspoons sugar, spread and pat on bottom of pan
Sprinkle on top in order listed
1 cup each
coconut, chocolate chips, butter scotch chips, pecan pieces,
Dribble on top one can Eagle Brand Milk
Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Cut in small bars while still warm.
Remove from pan after cool

Mardi Gras Bars Really rich, really good! Easy to make!

Melt 1 stick butter in 9x13 pan
Mix in 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 2 teaspoons sugar, spread and pat on bottom of pan
Sprinkle on top in order listed
1 cup each
coconut, chocolate chips, butter scotch chips, pecan pieces,
Dribble on top one can Eagle Brand Milk
Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Cut in small bars while still warm.
Remove from pan after cool
My aunt made these once when I was at her house. They are just as you described, really rich, and really good! They are relatively easy to make as well.

Recipe for the microwave peanut brittle?
You’ll find it on the net. You may have adjust your times for your area according to the humidity levels. I tried 3 mins but it’s not quite enough. Be very careful, this stuff is HOT . Most recipes call for 1cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of white Karo syrup. Mix, MW 4mins, add 1 cup raw peanuts, MW 3.5 min, add butter and vanilla, MW 1 1/2 minutes. Take out and add 1 tsp soda, mix well and pour on buttered cookie sheets. I’ve been making this for years. My family loves it.

Hi went to the churchs Women of God Christmas party a couple nights ago. A couple different things I had never heard of before and not sure what they are called.

One was
1 c peanutbutter
1 c corn syrup
1 c white sugar

Mielt together then pour over the Frito corn scoop chips. Sprinkle with mini chick chips if want. Different but good. You get both the sweet & salty.

another person took dates and stuffed slivers of jalapenos inside then wrapped in bacon. Baked till done. I would never had thought of putting those flavors together but it works very nicely.

Latest posts

Back