Christmas Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Appetizers

Jalapeno Ham Spread

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 can (5 oz.) canned chunk ham, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup (4 oz.) grated Cheddar cheese
1 TBSP dried parsley flakes
1-2 TBSP finely chopped pickled jalapeno
2 TBSP minced onion
1TBSP spicy brown mustard

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Blend smooth with electric
mixer. Serve with assorted crackers or breads.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chicken Cheese Ball

1 can (5 oz.) chunk chicken, drained
1 envelope (.4 oz.) original Ranch salad dressing mix
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup chopped pecans
Combine all ingredients in bowl except pecans and blend well
with electric mixer. Mix well. Shape into a ball and roll in pecans.
Cover and refrigerate. Serve with crackers or bread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cheese Ball

12 0z. cream cheese
4 oz. grated cheddar cheese
4 1/2 oz. can of crushed pineapple
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper (mixed red and green is pretty)
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 1/2 TBSP grated onion
Dash of Parsley and Dash of Paprika
Mix all together and form into a ball. Roll in chopped pecans and dried
Parsley flakes. Wrap in foil and refrigerate. Serve with crackers.
----------------
Christmas Appetizers
Cube chicken breasts into small squares. Wrap with a piece of bacon and
secure with a toothpick. Roll in a mixture of 2/3 cup of brown sugar and
2 TBSP Chili Powder. Bake at 250 degrees on a cookie sheet until the
chicken is baked and the bacon crispy. YUMMY!
Also:
Tater tots wrapped with bacon, secure with toothpick, and bake in oven on
a cookie sheet till bacon is crisp at 250 degrees.

My wife being deeply Norwegian, makes Kringla cookies around Christmas time that are fantastic.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

Butter-1/4 cup
Sour Cream-1 cup
Flour 2 1/2 cups
Powdered Sugar-3/4 cup (yep, real sugar)
Baking Soda-1/2 tsp
Baking Powder-1/2 tbsp
Milk-1/8 cup
Vanilla-1/2 tsp

Procedure:

Cream together butter and powdered sugar. Add sour cream and mix well. Add milk and vanilla and continue mixing. Now add all the dry ingredients and mix to form a very sticky dough. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take lemon sized balls from the dough, dust with flour and roll into a 6" long ropes. Shape it into 8 or like a pretzel. Arrange on a greased baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack and serve or store in an air tight container.

Sugared Peanuts ........and it is a winner..........
Sugared Peanuts
2 cups raw peanuts
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
Mix peanuts,sugar and water together in heavy saucepan
and boil over medium heat until liquid is almost gone (about
20 minutes). Spread the nuts on a greased cookie sheet and
sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Bake at 300 degrees for
45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes to separate. Cool on
the cookie sheet. Store in an airtight container.
These are soooooo gooooood ! She said she used a little
more water as she likes to boil hers longer

Favorite Cookie Recipes

I think, of all my cookie recipes, this is my favorite. It is a Holiday Season favorite of ours, a Christmas Cookie made with dear memories of a precious patient.Her family would always bring us a big platter of these cookies during the Holiday Season. I always think of her, and it has been many years since her passing, as she would say,"My name was Carr and I married a Ford" and we would all laugh and eat cookies together.She was a special lady. Her daughter gave me the recipe many years ago as a gift, and I cherish it.This recipe was their grandmother's, so it is very, very old.

RAISIN FILLED COOKIES

Dough:

3 cups brown sugar

1 cup Crisco Shortening

2 eggs

1 cup milk

Cream together and add:

2 teaspoons baking soda

3 teaspoons Cream of Tartar

6 cups flour

Mix all together. This makes a lovely soft, brown dough. Refrigerate at least 30

minutes or more before rolling out. I roll out just small batches at a time.(This

also makes just wonderful, plain sugar cookies)

Filling:

1 box of raisins (I prefer the dark brown ones)

Cover with water and add sugar to taste, I like mine sweet. Simmer

till done, use flour to thicken. (Use a couple spoons of flour to make

a paste, drop in the hot raisins, and stir till nice and thick. Cool filling.

Cut out the rolled dough. I usually just use a glass, and dip the rim in

flour, then cut out my circles. Works great for a cookie pattern. Pinch

the edges of the cookie together after you put about a TBSP of filling

in it, use the amount you want, or use a fork and dip the tines in flour,

press all around the circle of the cookie if you want them to be fancy.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees

if the cookies seem too brown. I use Pam spray on my cookie sheets.

https://homecookingmemories.com/lime-green-jello-salad-recipe-cottage-cheese-pineapple/print/21231/
A woman in a group asked if anyone had the recipe for lime jello with cottage cheese that her grandmother used to make for Christmas. This is it. I think my aunt used to make it for Christmas.

grandma’s lime green jello salad recipe (with cottage cheese & pineapple)
https://homecookingmemories.com/lim...cottage-cheese-pineapple/print/21231/#respond
  • Author: Brandie Valenzuela
  • Total Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes
  • Yield: 8 servings 1x

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained with juice reserved)
  • 1 cup water (more or less depending on what’s needed, see instructions below)
  • 2 packages lime jello (3 oz each)
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1 cup evaporated milk (canned)
  • 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a large multi-cup measuring cup (I use my 4 cup Pyrex), add all of the reserved pineapple juice and then add enough water to the juice to make a total of 2 cups. Pour into pot and bring just to a boil.
  2. Add the lime Jell-o mixes to the boiling pineapple juice/water and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, allow to cool just slightly.
  3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the mayo and evaporated milk. Combine until very smooth. Slowly stir in the Jell-o mixture until all is incorporated with the mayo/milk mixture. Stir in the crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, and walnuts.
  4. Pour mixture into an 8×8″ glass casserole pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight (preferred).

I just ran across this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like something I can handle. I was going to make them as a Christmas present for my wife. She loves pecans.

I just ran across this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like something I can handle. I was going to make them as a Christmas present for my wife. She loves pecans.

Cathrine is really good and thorough going step by step with her recipies!! That would be a great present Morgan!!

Cathrine is really good and thorough going step by step with her recipies!! That would be a great present Morgan!!

I was given very specific instructions not to buy any more Christmas stuff as presents. :dunno: She has a snowman collection, a Santa collection, and a snow globe collection that were always go-to gifts for me. I'm pretty good at shopping, but now I have to get more creative. I hope this works. I will make them when she is out of the house, and freeze them (I hope that works). I will find a decorative container, and put a bow on it for Christmas morning, so my heart is in the right place. I just hope they taste good.

I totally agree on Catherine's recipes. I have knocked it out of the park with a few of them.

Way to necromancy a thread! I'm making Yule party mix.
The seasoning is the only "hard" part.
In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp each of:
Garlic or onion powder, NEVER both.
Chili powder.
White pepper.
Season salt.
grated Parmesan cheese.
Twang (powdered lime salt.)
and a large pinch of powdered mustard.
Mix together in a large paper shopping bag:
a bag of bugles.
a bag of fritos.
a bag of cheddar balls.
a bag of pretzel nubs.
a bag of Doritos.
a bag of puff corn (white cheddar flavor sucks, just saying.)
1 large can of mixed nuts or just oven roasted peanuts.

Shake well and place a layer into a flat broiler pan and lightly zap it with butter flavored cooking spray and lightly dust it with your mix of flavorings and bake at 250 for 10-15 minutes or until they get a bit toasty.
Transfer to a gallon pickle jug and seal.
Rinse repeat until you're out of jugs and put the rest in zip lock bags with a paper towel folded in the bottom. if you ran out of spice, no worries, just store it with some that is spiced, it will transfer over. it should make in the area of 5 gallons depending on the bag size you use. you can run a test batch using lunch sized bags and figure out how you want to tweak your spice mix. you can even add Chex and unsweetened wheat cereal to the mix.

Water Based Clam Chowder

4 - Large Potatoes
2 - Large Onions
6 - Cans diced clams
2 - Strips of bacon

Separate juice from clams but KEEP the juice
Cook bacon and leave bacon grease in pan (chop the bacon)
Add clams and 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil to pan (cook 2 minutes on high stirring constantly)
Transfer clams to large pot, add clam juice, diced potatoes and onions and 4 cups of water
Add bacon, salt and pepper and 1 dash of hot sauce
Bring to boil, let simmer until potatoes are tender
Enjoy!

$ store chicken chowder: 2 quart stock pot required!
1 can of chicken breast
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of mushroom chunks
1 can of potato chunks.
1 small can of veg all (optional)
Drain and combine over low heat add.
1 family sized can or two small cans of cream of chicken soup and the usual spices.
Simmer ten minutes, let sit ten, serve.

Update!! This is good news bad news, but more good than bad. The Cinnamon Sugar Pecans turned out great. Followed the recipe exactly. Bad news, I got caught. My wife was supposed to be gone for the morning; not home until well after lunch. She came home way early and I was just putting the batch into the oven. Oh well. It won't be a surprise, but she really liked them, so that is good. If there is a down side you have to babysit them while they are baking stirring/mixing every 20 minutes, but worth the effort.

Update!! This is good news bad news, but more good than bad. The Cinnamon Sugar Pecans turned out great. Followed the recipe exactly. Bad news, I got caught. My wife was supposed to be gone for the morning; not home until well after lunch. She came home way early and I was just putting the batch into the oven. Oh well. It won't be a surprise, but she really liked them, so that is good. If there is a down side you have to babysit them while they are baking stirring/mixing every 20 minutes, but worth the effort.
She can enjoy them now through Christmas! And you can always make more😉😃

She can enjoy them now through Christmas! And you can always make more😉😃

I'm pretty sure that will be the plan. My daughter is coming for a couple of days with the grandkids, so I'm sure they won't go to waste. Everything seemed to work, but OMG, you would have arms like Popeye if you made a living whisking an egg white into a froth. I gave up. That's as frothy as it is going to get. I hope it works.

I'm pretty sure that will be the plan. My daughter is coming for a couple of days with the grandkids, so I'm sure they won't go to waste. Everything seemed to work, but OMG, you would have arms like Popeye if you made a living whisking an egg white into a froth. I gave up. That's as frothy as it is going to get. I hope it works.
So it's good exercise too😁

Christmas chicken pot pie:
In a large baking pan make two batches of stove top stuffing and mash it evenly around in the pan, put it in an oven at 150 degrees until it gets a bit dry, set it to the side.

In a two gallon pot boil 3 Lbs of random chicken parts in chicken broth until they fall off the bone.
Add:
2 cups of celery.
1 cup of shredded onion.
1/4 cup of shredded carrot.
3 large chopped Port Bella mushrooms
1 can of drained peas.
Stir and simmer half an hour, then using either corn starch or mashed potatoes, gently stir in until the mix is like batter you can stand a spoon up in and spoon it into your crust evenly, then add another layer of dressing, sprinkle liberally with whole cranberries. and bake fifteen minutes.

I got one:
4Oz of eggnog.
1 Oz of Captain Mo spiced rum
a shot of whipped cream.
Sprinkle with ginger and chocolate sprinkles.
Repeat until the relatives decide to ignore you.

I got one:
4Oz of eggnog.
1 Oz of Captain Mo spiced rum
a shot of whipped cream.
Sprinkle with ginger and chocolate sprinkles.
Repeat until the relatives decide to ignore you.
A 4 to 1 mixture? I don't think you have enough Rum. Whenever my wife's relatives come over I feel like I am in the Cantina scene from Star Wars. I will try to find the bottom of a good bottle of single malt, or Jameson, and hope they go away quickly.

Ah, you need a snake bite.
1 part mint schnapps. 100 proof.
1 part hot damn. 100 proof.
1 part vodka. 40 proof.
1/4 part Jagermeister.
The juice of 1 lemon per pint.
Chase with spring water, if you don't your head will explode. Being a European mix, you chase to ease it into your system for a blissful drinking experience, or...It hits you all at once and you wake up with your mother in law's sister in the back of a dumpster in another state.

As I watched that piece, I knew I'd be using my hand mixer to do that part. No need to whisk that up by hand.

I got a simple one:
you need one heavy gauge syringe AKA a horse needle
Half a pint of spiced rum.
4 of those cheap dollar store fruit cakes.
Stick your hypodermic into the rum and fill it up.
Stick it in one end of the cake through the plastic and inject as you slowly withdraw it.
Do the other end.
Let sit in a cool place at least three days before serving.a week is ideal. it makes the $3 crap taste like the $10 expensive ones. if they don't see the wrapper, they'll never know!

Here you go, simple stuff.
Cold cut kabobs:
1 summer sausage.
1 chub bologna.
1 pepperoni roll.
1 pound of cheddar cheese.
1 pound of Swiss cheese.
1 bell pepper cut into chunks.
1 kabob skewer.
cut the meat and cheese into 1/4" slices and impale them on the skewer at random intervals, cap each kabob with a hunk of pepper. serve chilled with a variety of sauces like brown mustard, horseradish, hot sauce, etc. good to break out if dinner will be a couple of hours or someone brought a freeloader or two and you don't have enough to go around.

Latest posts

Back