Christmas stockings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you have stockings you like putting up by the fireplace, or hanging anywhere?
If you had one as a child, do you still have it?
What kind of fabric was it?
Did a family member make it?
Mom made ours out of red felt, rickrack across the top, various cotton figures as decoration. I think mine had a little girl on it. I still have it.
I made stockings for my kids out of satin-like fabric.

We didn't have stockings when I was a child, but we got stockings when my daughter was an infant. They were made by a friend's mother who made 100's over the years. Each of them was personalized for the person intended. Most are felt with a fancy wide trim across the top. Everyone has their name on them with a contrasting and coordinating felt. Many were decorated with cut out decorations. My daughter has several things on hers. One of the decorations was a dog with googly eyes.

We have stockings from way back when the kids were small.
Store bought but personalize by me wife for each one.
We don't have a mantel now so they are hung on the bottom of a large framed mirror my Dad made.
We put small presents and candy in them.
One year I found a Resse's peanut butter cup in mine so I ate it.
It was putrid and I could not spit it out fast enough.
My wife informed me she had not put those in stockings in over 3 years.

Maybe I'll post a pic of ours later.
What do you put in them? Candy, fruit, small gifts, rocks, sticks, toys? A few times I put in small beautiful stones, unusual coins.
I know that I am not alone in putting toothbrushes in ours. I also put a lighter in each. I look for good preparedness items that will work, such as small flashlights. We often put in a bag of pistachios, candy canes, Toblerone chocolate, miscellaneous quality chocolate, chocolate coins, various other unusual treats. It varies year to year, depending on what we find.

Estelle's Christmas stocking will have an Orange, Pear,Apple in it.
It will also have flash cards of color,numbers,,small flashlight,peppermint candy cane.
Her stocking was her dad's when he was a child.
Friend of mine made his and his little brother's stockings which are hung on front of Pie Safe.
There will be a bowl of fruit on the table for the adults.
About every other year finances determines boys got a savings bond.
Will do the same for Estelle.
Will be getting several sets of handwarmers for my preps.

1545599147541707461633.jpg

Latest posts

Back