Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ttile pretty much says it all. I know there are 2 or 3 others, and probably more, that enjoy a good cigar on occasion. Maybe even on a regular basis. This thread is for sharing what brands and types you like. Flavors from various countries you like, or not.
Along with that, what do you do while smoking? For example, I smoke one quite often when I am mowing the yard. I know I'll be there a while, and the smoke helps keep the flying critters away. But I also very much enjoy sitting around a fire and having a nice smoke.
What say you

Used to go through a lot more, playing golf and night catfishing. Probably had 4 or 5 this year, last one I recall was a Drew Estates Java for Labor Day. Most of them have been quietly maturing in the humidor for 8-10+ years. Got a couple Fuente OPUS for the 5 year retirement celebrations, last one was 2020, I have one or two left for 2025 and 2030.

Diesel "Shorty" was nice. The most common for sitting around bullshitting was Magellan Dominicans Corona Maduros, probably from Thompson cigars.

Bunches I can't remember, just quietly aging in the humidor, they are incredible after a few years time.

I'll try take some photos tomorrow if I remember

O.K. Backpacker. I will start. There are a few of us here that enjoy smoking cigars. I will admit I enjoy it very much. Cigars are very much like wine in that they are the product of a crop. Just like grapes make wine, tobacco makes cigars. Taste and aroma are very much a part of the product, and part of the enjoyment. Crops will vary year to year, and are dependent on the weather, and the region where they are grown.

My current favorites are Perdomo Lot 23, and Macanudo Inspirado Black. Those are my go-to's when I hit the cigar bar. Others that I would highly recommend are Partgas. H. Upmannn, Arturo Fuente, Oliva. When I really want to splurge I will get a Cohiba, but admittedly those are pricey, and the high end of my budget.

I don't think I smoke more than half a dozen cigars a month, so the habit won't break the bank. I also consider it an outdoor sport. Obviously, it doesn't matter when you are in a cigar bar. Everybody is smoking, and nobody is offended. I never smoke in my house or in anybody else's. I will smoke on my own patio, and it the homeowner is O.K. with it I will smoke outside at other people's houses.

For those who partake, I would love to hear your favorite brands, and how you might deal with people who are say less enthusiastic about it than we are.

My favorites right now are Perdomos and Macanudo Inspirado Black. Sorry I didn't see this thread before I posted the new one on What Cigars are you Smoking. I will ask Angie to combine them. There are several brands that I would highly recommend.

Last edited:
how you might deal with people who are say less enthusiastic about it than we are.
I follow house rules. in my house they follow MY rules or they leave.

Way back when, around 1996-97, I was a young pup struggling to work my way through college. I had two jobs, one tending bar at a nightclub, the other at a liquor/tobacco store. It was also a head shop, but I don't admit that often. Anyway, we sold some good cigars - lots of Macanudo, Punch, Romeo y Julieta, Fuente, you name it and we sold it. My favorite was Padron. I found them to be smooth and not bitter, and not terribly expensive. I suppose if the others were like Cadillac, Patron would be more like a Buick - still pretty nice, but less expensive.

A lot of people don't realize that one of the secrets to smoking a good cigar is to smoke slowly. If you puff away on the thing, it burns hot and you'll get that bitterness in the taste. Only draw off it about once a minute and it'll taste much smoother...

@Morgan101 when I worked at the cigar store we sold Upmann, Partegas, and Cohiba but I never had the opportunity or the funds to try one. The Cohiba especially was one that interested me. Can you give a description of the taste? It's been 20 years since I smoked a cigar and this thread is taking me down memory lane...

Here is a review from Mike's Cigars: The Cohiba Blue cigar line is the latest innovation from one of the most prestigious brands in tobacco. Their crafting process is already the stuff of legends. Starting with a base of Jamastran tobaccos with a light body and easy leathery notes, before adding some excitement to the filler with tobacco from the mystical region of Ometepe where tobacco is harvested on the hillside of the island formed by two volcanoes rising from Lake Nicaragua. The Ometepe tobacco delivers a sweetness that overplays the taste, fulfilling the experience with wonderful aromas. Cohiba Blue provides a Medium body smoking experience filled with sweet leathery notes and creamy earth tones.

I would agree with the review. I found it to be very smooth and relatively light. The draw was perfect, better than any cigar I have ever had. The price at our place was about $15.00, so about as high as I go, and definitely not on a regular basis, but if you want a real treat splurge and get one.

Here is the link to Mike's Cigars: Cohiba Blue Cigars - Mike's Cigars

I have tried many good cigars, my favorite is a Punch Rothschild cigar with a Rare Corojo wrapper. I just bought a case of 50. I smoke cigars exclusively in our porch rocker or around a campfire.

From the manufacturer:
1670166212058.png

Last edited:
Exactly where I was hoping this thread would go.
Typically I am a fan of both Punch and Oliva cigars. The Rare Corona is very good.i met a guy a few years ago that shared a brand I had never heard of called Nub. It has quickly become a top draw as well.
I've tried HUpman, Macaduno, Montecristo and some others but those just didn't set as well with me. Granted I only tried a couple of each.
Recently I was given a couple I hadn't tried before. One was a Romeo Y Julieta. It took for ever to get it lit and drawing. Ended up cutting it 3 times. Smoked ok after that till I had about 1/3 left and in one draw went from ok to damn hot and bitter. The other was an Inch. Looked and smelled nice, but just a nasty taste throughout. I'll never do those again.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to try Padron and Cohiba some time.
I always smoke outside, or at least in my shop with the doors open and well vented. I usually pick up my sticks in cigar stores and some have gathering area to smoke in, but never done that before.
If I smoke with anyone around, they are normally smoking too. My wife don't care for the smell so I stay away while partaking.

Here is a review from Mike's Cigars: The Cohiba Blue cigar line is the latest innovation from one of the most prestigious brands in tobacco. Their crafting process is already the stuff of legends. Starting with a base of Jamastran tobaccos with a light body and easy leathery notes, before adding some excitement to the filler with tobacco from the mystical region of Ometepe where tobacco is harvested on the hillside of the island formed by two volcanoes rising from Lake Nicaragua. The Ometepe tobacco delivers a sweetness that overplays the taste, fulfilling the experience with wonderful aromas. Cohiba Blue provides a Medium body smoking experience filled with sweet leathery notes and creamy earth tones.

That sounds like it would pair well with 12 year old single malt.

My wife don't care for the smell so I stay away while partaking.

On several occasions after returning from the cigar bar, my wife has asked me to disrobe, in the laundry room, and leave my clothes there. I don't mind.

Curmudgeon: when I am at home it will be good Scotch or Irish Whiskey. They have a nice selection at the cigar bar, but we don't partake there.

I tried a new cigar too me while camping last week. It was a Kentucky Fired Cured. It was also a sweet type. Not wild about the sweet taste,, it was ok but would take some getting used to. I have ordered a couple of KFC non sweets to see how they are. Just a nice flavor all around I thought.

Last edited:
I like the Cohiba, Partegas, Romeo y Julitea, Habana and a few others. I don't get the real Cubans much any more because of the price. But when I'm passing through the Indian reservation I'll pick up a few, plus a couple boxes of AL Capones.
A good single malt Scotch whiskey just enhances the smoking pleasure.
The wife won't let me enjoy a cigar in the house, not sure why, so I have to smoke when I'm outside.

I tried a different Oliva yesterday. Shaped much like a Nub. I think it was a 4 x 60. It was really good, smooth as silk. I smoked it down to about an inch long, never did get hot or bitter. I'll sure be getting some more of those.

Where do yall get your's from? I almost always get mine at a local shop, but there selection isn't all that great. The shop I used to frequent was no bigger, but had a huge variety to pick from.
I just found out about a online store I have an order placed with to try out.

Cigars Online | Best Prices at Cigar Place | Cigars, Humidors, Lighters

Here is a link to Cigars International. You can request a catalog or order on line. Their prices are reasonable, and the selection is good. I am lucky that I have several stores that are close to me. The cigar bar near me has a nice selection of Olivas. Good choice. I have never been disappointed with an Oliva.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/
Oddly enough there is a truck stop close by that has a remarkably good selection. I think one of the managers is a cigar guy and he keeps it current.

Over the years I've bought cigars from Cuban Lous. Good selection, but no real Cubans though. For years I'd buy Cuban cigars when I worked overseas and would bring a couple boxes when I came home on R&R.

Here is a link to Cigars International. You can request a catalog or order on line. Their prices are reasonable, and the selection is good. I am lucky that I have several stores that are close to me. The cigar bar near me has a nice selection of Olivas. Good choice. I have never been disappointed with an Oliva.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/
Oddly enough there is a truck stop close by that has a remarkably good selection. I think one of the managers is a cigar guy and he keeps it current.
Oliva's are high on my list of favorites. Reasonably priced and always a good smoke. I feel same way about Nub's.

Trapper, don't think I've ever had a true Cuban before. Must be good

Latest posts

Back