Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never went to a cigar place and smoked there. Not sure what I think about that.

There is a place close to me that we frequent. It is very friendly. The only thing they ask is that whatever you are going to smoke you buy there. We are O.K. with that. Most of the time we go on a Sunday afternoon. They always have the Football games and the Golf Tournament on TV's. We will smoke two cigars over a three hour span. We really enjoy it. I go with a friend, and we do not drink, although there is a full bar there. Most people drink beer or soda. Even if I went alone, the atmosphere is very friendly. There is always food, and everybody contributes. When the weather is nice the owner will barbecue in the alley.

I've got a store about 15 minutes from the house.

The one I found the other day is about 30 minutes. Nice folks and good C/S a rarity nowadays.

They are looking into the Drew Estates, they weren't familiar with them. They are also looking into the Cohiba Blue Label as well.

They are also looking into the Cohiba Blue Label as well.

I can certainly vouch for that one. Higher end price wise. I think they are $14.95 at our place, but they are worth it. Those are reserved for special occasions.

I can certainly vouch for that one. Higher end price wise. I think they are $14.95 at our place, but they are worth it. Those are reserved for special occasions.

Yeah, I could order some online, but since they had the Cohiba line already on the shelf I figured I would ask.

My friend is going through surgery shortly and I thought I might find a couple of them to try out when he gets home. If the surgery goes well it will be a victory celebration for him.

I've got a Cohiba Blue 7x70 sitting there waiting for the right occasion. Got some others on my wishlist. Put some Partagus Black labels on it too.

Cur I'm sure your buddy will enjoy the celebration. Pray all goes well for him

There is a place close to me that we frequent. It is very friendly. The only thing they ask is that whatever you are going to smoke you buy there. We are O.K. with that. Most of the time we go on a Sunday afternoon. They always have the Football games and the Golf Tournament on TV's. We will smoke two cigars over a three hour span. We really enjoy it. I go with a friend, and we do not drink, although there is a full bar there. Most people drink beer or soda. Even if I went alone, the atmosphere is very friendly. There is always food, and everybody contributes. When the weather is nice the owner will barbecue in the alley.
The little shop near me has maybe 3 to 5 seats and a TV. I'll see one or 2 folks in there on occasion. Some of the shops in the bigger town probably have something closer to what you describe.

Reactions: Neb
Got home from work and the wife and I sat on the porch till dark. I smoked a KFC Fat Molly. I didn't think it was as good as the Chunky. Good just a little different. I'd smoke them again.
Still have a Just a Friend to try out.

Reactions: Neb
I'm old, so is my cellar/storage and memory. Ages ago, it was a Hearth and Home blend, done by Scotty. The name/branding changed in 2015 from hearth and home to the current. From tobbaccoreviews "Notes: PipesandCigars.com now lists this blend on its website as "Scotty's HPCS Trout Stream" as of Aug. 2015."

So many of the blends I liked have disappeared forever.

Try and find a couple ounces of "Distinguished Penguin", another one of the long ago hearth and home blends.

Last edited:
I'm old, so is my cellar/storage and memory. Ages ago, it was a Hearth and Home blend, done by Scotty. The name/branding changed in 2015 from hearth and home to the current. From tobbaccoreviews "Notes: PipesandCigars.com now lists this blend on its website as "Scotty's HPCS Trout Stream" as of Aug. 2015."

So many of the blends I liked have disappeared forever.

Try and find a couple ounces of "Distinguished Penguin", another one of the long ago hearth and home blends.

Just a good reason to stock what you like deep! I was a McClelland smoker for most of my pipe journey, luckily, I had cellared pretty deep on my favorite blends, mainly Dark Star and the Frog Morton Series. Boy am I glad that I did, granted, now I only crack a new tin of Dark Star or Frog Morton once every few months, as opposed to once a week, but it is still nice to have those blends squirreled away.

I smoked a KFC Fat Molly. I didn't think it was as good as the Chunky. Good just a little different. I'd smoke them again. Still have a Just a Friend to try out.

Yeah those little Chunky s are pretty good. I almost dare say the Just a Friend is just a larger version of the chunky in regards to aroma and taste, I truly enjoyed it. It was a real treat when I combined it with the breakfast blend coffee I had with it, I added a dash of sugar to the coffee and enough half and half to make it creamy.

I really liked the Just a Friend, especially the last 1/3, very tasty IMO, I will be getting more! Smoke time about an hour, the wrapper stayed pretty uniform in burn it ashed about the end of the first third, the draw was very good too. I set it down at about the halfway point and let it go out, when I relit it it let go of some very nice flavors. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Single barrel 94 proof here that I will be trying with the next one.

Let us know how it compares to the Fat Molly.

I stumbled across this video and found it very informative. Being the rookie and all, lol.

I was in town yesterday and stopped in for a handful of chunkies. One of them is laying on my laptop staring at me.

I was in town yesterday and stopped in for a handful of chunkies. One of them is laying on my laptop staring at me.
If it starts talking to you , you will have to sacrifice it by fire :)

I smoked a CAO Consignilar this afternoon. Nice smooth medium body. Pretty decent taste as well. It was a 5x52 and took an hour an a half to smoke. Ill pick up more of these.

I also received an order this week. Found a box of Oliva Melanio 4.5x60 on sale. It has become one of my favorite smokes, best flavor of any I've had.

Attachments

• 20230128_152554.jpg
    20230128_152554.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 0
We had an interesting day at the cigar bar Sunday. When we got there the cupboard was bare. WTH?!? Spoke with the manager asking if the shipment was late? He said there was a new owner who will bring in his own inventory. I asked how that would affect us, and he thought it was going to be a lot better, which is good news.

So I had a nice Punch Robusto and a Macanudo Inspirado Black, and watched the Eagles stomp the 49ers. It is a nice place, so if it improves that will be icing on the cake.

Hope the new owner improves and makes it even better.

That's what we are hoping. I got the impression it would be better inventory and better selection. Fingers crossed. It is really good now.

I've made a couple stops at our local shop the last couple weeks. I've picked up 2 different Liga Privada #9's, a tin of LP #9 4x38's. Also got a CAO 660 Flathead, a Olivs Melanio Msduro 6x54. I think it was a Toro.
I've put the Liga's back to age until a good occasion comes along. Proabably take one if we take a vacation this year.

I have also gotten a Pelican Ruck case, model R60. PLan to use it for a travel humidor. It should hold 10-15 60 ring gauge sticks. Easy to store cutter amd boveda packs in the net. If you know about Pelican cases, they are damn near indestructable, watertight, so should be good at holding humidity for a week or two.

Took a couple breaks this afternoon. During the first one a tried one of the Liga Privada #9 Cornets. Not a bad little smoke, but I'm hoping the full size #9's are more tasty. Normally are. Maybe 20 minutes worth. Great for break time. After I stopped for the day I tried out one of the freebies that was shipped to me. It was a Don Pepin Garcia, Cuban Classis, in a Toro size. When I first removed it from the cellophane a very nice aroma hit me. Kinda blew me away then. When I first lit it I got a big hit of STRONG, I mean really STRONG. But after a couple pulls it settled down and ended up being a very nice stick. Smoked it for a good hour and a half. Down sides, the wrapper was very veiny and had a big stem trying to poke thru. Very uneven burn for almost the entire cigar, had to touch it up twice. And had to relight 3 times. When the freebies came there was 3 different DPG's included, I'll try the others out before deciding, but not sure I'll buy any of them.

Taking a hike tomorrow and trying to decide what to take with me. I'm leaning toward the KFC Just a Friend or Fat Molly, Or maybe a Nub

Got in from work tonight and decided to sit on the front porch for a bit and have nice stick. Picked out a Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado. It's a 6.5x52 I normally like the Marudro wrapper, but this one had a Ecuadorian sumatra wrapper. Nice change of pace. Great aroma and taste. Took 2 plus hours to smoke it.
Time well spent

After working around outside today I smoked a cigar I picked up a few weeks ago. It's a CAO Flathead 660. I am fast becoming a CAO fan. The 2 I've had so far have both been very aromatic, tasty, and enjoyable. They are considered medium body, While somewhat stronger, they are not at all bitter even down to the last inch. Burn was very even and held a nice ash. Lasted a good hour and half.
I will get some more CAO's to put back in the humidor. The 2nd one I had previously was a CAO Consigliar Associate. I recommend both highly

Yeah those little Chunky s are pretty good. I almost dare say the Just a Friend is just a larger version of the chunky in regards to aroma and taste, I truly enjoyed it. It was a real treat when I combined it with the breakfast blend coffee I had with it, I added a dash of sugar to the coffee and enough half and half to make it creamy.

I really liked the Just a Friend, especially the last 1/3, very tasty IMO, I will be getting more! Smoke time about an hour, the wrapper stayed pretty uniform in burn it ashed about the end of the first third, the draw was very good too. I set it down at about the halfway point and let it go out, when I relit it it let go of some very nice flavors. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Single barrel 94 proof here that I will be trying with the next one.

Let us know how it compares to the Fat Molly.
Well Cur, I got a "Just a Friend" out this afternoon when I quit working. You comparing it to the Chunky is very accurate. Just a larger version IMO. I really enjoyed it. Took maybe an hour to hour and a half. Didn't really time it. I had got a Dr.Pepper out of the fridge before I sat down and lit it. That was a pretty good combo. I'll put some of these back, along with a bunch of Chunkies. They are a nice cigar that suits my taste very well. Today's burned a little uneven after the first half, but it was pretty windy.

Spent the afternoon in the cigar bar. Tried a new brand Excalibur that was not bad. Pretty smooth and mild. Very even burn, and did not get hot nearing the end. Taste was O.K. but not exceptional. I would buy another one. Also tried the Macanudo Inspirado Orange. It was not as flavorful as the Black, but it was a nice smoke. Given a choice I would take the Black over the Orange.

I haven't smoked a Macanudo in many years. Used to like them back then

The Inspirado line is good. There are five colors, Black, Red, Green, Orange, and White. I highly recommend the Black. It is one of my favorites. The Orange was O.K. My friend said the Green was good, but neither of us have tried the other colors. Maybe Macanudo's website could tell you the difference between them, but I couldn't find any info.

Latest posts

Back