Clean Eating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We try our best to eat clean but that is a challenge sometimes.

We buy organic veggies if we don't grow it and then wash with water, pure cider vinegar let sit for a couple minutes in vinegar then rinse with water. What little meat we eat we try to buy organic or Green Wise. Order flour and corn meal King Arthur and Hodgesons Mill.

I've had no caffeine, sugar, flour and very little sodium since July 11. Certainly not saying I never will again. Still re-defining myself as a different type of cook. Not Southern, etc. It's an adventure so far! Having the 2 green smoothies, 1 for breakfast and 1 for supper helps. Trying to figure out 3 meals a day would be harder in my opinion. I got a gallon bag of sliced turnips from Church yesterday. Going to roast them with carrots, onions, garlic, a sweet potato, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I always wash before I eat, does that count?
I've never heard of eating clean. What does it entail?

There is little if any nutritious difference between organic and other produce. I do grow some of my own produce because I like fresh produce that is ripe when harvested. Nothing you buy in the store was ripe when it was harvested. It would spoil before it got to the store. Even at that I still buy some produce from the store. I won't buy cantaloupe because compared to the home grown, ripe cantaloupe it is flavorless. The same is true of my pumpkins and watermelons. Our cucumbers are better too as are our strawberries, carrots and lettuce. We have fresh strawberries for most of the summer, jam for the year-and then some, and enough pickles for three years. I may try to make some cantaloupe jam this year because there is no way we can consume all that we have. The heat killed our squashes and pumpkins this year because we planted them too early. That is something we will correct next year. I have the first of three blueberry bushes if it will survive the winter and the other two are going in the ground (from seed) in a week or so. Even if they all survive it will be four years before we get berries.

Eating "clean" when on a KETO diet seems like it's almost easy as I eat fresh or frozen veggies and meat - beef, pork, chicken, venison, and fresh fish - without any carbs like the fresh sourdough I love to bake or the rolls, biscuits, hotcakes, waffles, and pastries that I love to make. No sugar or cereals and no milk. I do have eggs and cheese and an occasional glass of dry red wine but I mostly drink water and some decaf coffee. The hardest part of the KETO diet for me is the bread, or lack thereof. Have you ever enjoyed a grilled ham and cheese sandwich without the bread? there is something very obvious missing. ;)

I always wash fruits and vegetables but a lot of the time can't afford organic anyway. I use locally produced chicken, but they probably are given hormones and antibiotics. Am just doing the best I can with what I have available and can afford.

Its illegal for chickens to be given hormones. Antibiotics though.....

Have gotten way cleaner than we used to be at our house, too. We're keto as well. Most of our veggies we've grown ourselves and they're very clean. I've also been working on building the soil. I kinda feel like the fertility levels in the soil matter a whole lot more to nutrition than whether something has an "organic" label on it. Eggs I buy local from chickens out on pasture. Meat is harder but have been looking at buying a quarter beef from a local farmer that takes really good care of his herd. Anyway, we're at least making an effort. Don't always eat as clean as we'd like but we're trying.

SheepDog, I missed my homemade bread for a good while. I used to make a really good whole wheat loaf that was second to none. Ground the wheat myself. I've never really found anything that compares in the keto world, at least not in a sandwich loaf. I have kinda wanted to try some fathead rolls as people seem to rave about them. Haven't yet. But I think my tastes have adjusted a good bit and bread just isn't as tempting as is used to be.

There is little if any nutritious difference between organic and other produce. I do grow some of my own produce because I like fresh produce that is ripe when harvested. Nothing you buy in the store was ripe when it was harvested. It would spoil before it got to the store. Even at that I still buy some produce from the store. I won't buy cantaloupe because compared to the home grown, ripe cantaloupe it is flavorless. The same is true of my pumpkins and watermelons. Our cucumbers are better too as are our strawberries, carrots and lettuce. We have fresh strawberries for most of the summer, jam for the year-and then some, and enough pickles for three years. I may try to make some cantaloupe jam this year because there is no way we can consume all that we have. The heat killed our squashes and pumpkins this year because we planted them too early. That is something we will correct next year. I have the first of three blueberry bushes if it will survive the winter and the other two are going in the ground (from seed) in a week or so. Even if they all survive it will be four years before we get berries.

Eating "clean" when on a KETO diet seems like it's almost easy as I eat fresh or frozen veggies and meat - beef, pork, chicken, venison, and fresh fish - without any carbs like the fresh sourdough I love to bake or the rolls, biscuits, hotcakes, waffles, and pastries that I love to make. No sugar or cereals and no milk. I do have eggs and cheese and an occasional glass of dry red wine but I mostly drink water and some decaf coffee. The hardest part of the KETO diet for me is the bread, or lack thereof. Have you ever enjoyed a grilled ham and cheese sandwich without the bread? there is something very obvious missing. ;)

Same fro BLT, no bread no BLT.

So I was raised on clean food.
We grew all our vegetables, home grown egg from real free range chickens & ducks.
Home grown milk from milk cows, fresh rabbit, chicken, pork raised & butcher on the farm.
Wild fruits & berries to eat fresh & preserves.

Have gotten way cleaner than we used to be at our house, too. We're keto as well. Most of our veggies we've grown ourselves and they're very clean. I've also been working on building the soil. I kinda feel like the fertility levels in the soil matter a whole lot more to nutrition than whether something has an "organic" label on it. Eggs I buy local from chickens out on pasture. Meat is harder but have been looking at buying a quarter beef from a local farmer that takes really good care of his herd. Anyway, we're at least making an effort. Don't always eat as clean as we'd like but we're trying.

SheepDog, I missed my homemade bread for a good while. I used to make a really good whole wheat loaf that was second to none. Ground the wheat myself. I've never really found anything that compares in the keto world, at least not in a sandwich loaf. I have kinda wanted to try some fathead rolls as people seem to rave about them. Haven't yet. But I think my tastes have adjusted a good bit and bread just isn't as tempting as is used to be.

What recipe did you use for that whole wheat bread? I don't eat much bread but I'd love a good sandwich loaf for when I do want it.

What recipe did you use for that whole wheat bread? I don't eat much bread but I'd love a good sandwich loaf for when I do want it.

I don't have a good one now. I tried several keto recipes. Many have flax, which I really don't care for. Many have lots of eggs and they can get pretty eggy, even squeaky. I tried about a half dozen times with various recipes and then pretty much gave up. I think most came from YouTube. Like I said, I think I'd like to try some fathead rolls, basically mozzarella cheese and almond flour and just a few other little things that are supposed to bake up nicely. It's been on my to-do list for a long time, just never got it done... too many other things more urgent.

For my own whole wheat bread, the real thing, it was 8 ingredients: whole ground wheat berries (two different kinds), water, yeast, honey, blackstrap molasses, salt, applesauce, and olive oil... I think. It's been a while. Can't even lay my hands on the recipe at the moment. Oh, maybe 9 ingredients if you count the coconut oil in the pans. It seemed to do a good job of keeping the bread from sticking.

I sometimes make ' Mama bread '. It is just flour kneaded in Crisco or now I use butter [ since Crisco isn't Crisco anymore ] with buttermilk, a little water ,salt and pour batter into large biscuit pan.
Everyone loves the stuff. SIL said it was the best bread he ever tasted in his life! Of course it was covered in butter and crispy.

It's been over 2 months now and still going strong with the green smoothies and clean (mostly) eating. I have lost a bit over 32 pounds with about that amount to go. Still walking or doing exercise tape 6 days a week. The doc is lowering my thyroid meds. Still haven't had any bread, caffeine, table sugar or salt and feel good! Just checking in!

Just an update!

As of today, I am down 47 pounds since July 11th. Doc lowered my thyroid meds since I wasn't sleeping well or much. Unfortunately, I'm still not sleeping much so I will go back soon and see if they need to go lower. I recently read that the way I eat now, which is pretty much paleo, actually heals your thyroid. Kind of hoping to get off meds altogether within the coming year. He said he will probably take me off the tiny dose of BP med soon since mine is so good now. Would be great to be 62 years old and not on any meds at all!

Really happy that you are making great progress on your weight loss journey :) , keep up the great work !.

Previously I would have said you can just give me any weight you want to loose but thankfully I have finally gained some weight where I can now buy clothing off the shelf to fit me. Previously I was an Australian size 6 and couldn't get anything to fit me and had to buy my clothing from China and the Philippines or the children's sections but now I am a comfy size 10 - 12 which I should be for my height.

I have bulked out a little doing firewood cutting and exercising and now have a good muscle tone too.

Wow! Good for you Snappy and Sewingcreations! It's awesome that you've both found what works for you. It can certainly be a challenge for sure.

I try to eat fairly clean but I'm usually just content to make meals at home and not eat out, while also adding in some intermittent fasting at least twice per week. Dinners at home usually consist of a main meat, vege side or 2, and typically a carb side as well. What can I say? I've got a meat and potatoes guy to cook for.;) But sometimes it's a kettle of soup, chili, or stew with a salad and garlic bread. Yeah, it's not exactly clean....but we could do worse. We don't eat out much, but when we do, we really enjoy it! Nothing is more satisfying than cutting and hauling firewood or working in the barn all afternoon and then coming in for some cold beer and hot pizza. So, we have a few extra pounds on our bones, but at least we are happy and fit.

Snappy, I've noticed that when I do a longer fast, I really don't need much sleep at all and don't sleep nearly as much when I'm fasting, which is weird b/c I LOVE to sleep. I don't know if that has anything to do with your situation at all, but thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Tell us about your smoothees, or green drinks, whatever you call them.
Have you tried carrot, ginger, and turmeric? I have not but want to get started on some green drinks since I'm not hyped up about eating raw vegetables when it is cold outside.

Snappy, I've noticed that when I do a longer fast, I really don't need much sleep at all and don't sleep nearly as much when I'm fasting, which is weird b/c I LOVE to sleep. I don't know if that has anything to do with your situation at all, but thought I'd mention it.

I wasn't aware of that but I stay at about 1000 or a little more calories a day. At first, I didn't know how many, then started using "my fitness pal" to log foods and keep track of weight.

I've got a meat and potatoes guy to cook for.;)

I still have to cook for DH. He has a pot of goulash for now and there are a few little frozen pizzas waiting for him, too. His had tremors are so bad now that he can barely feed himself and can't hold a glass unless it has a top on it.

Tell us about your smoothees, or green drinks, whatever you call them.
Have you tried carrot, ginger, and turmeric? I have not but want to get started on some green drinks since I'm not hyped up about eating raw vegetables when it is cold outside.

This recipe will make 2 smoothies as I have one for breakfast and one for dinner in the evening.

About 2 1/4 cups of water and 3 cups of spinach. Blend on high until liquid. Add 1 scoop of protein powder (optional, but helps me feel full), 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds, 1 cup of mixed berries, 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks (I use canned and freeze them as it is a little cheaper that way), 1 peeled banana in chunks. I have a green smoothie setting on my Oster, if you don't, I would pulse until smooth. That is my recipe for today.

I rarely even know there is lettuce of any type in there. Sometimes I use romaine, sometimes spring mix, spinach, very rarely iceberg unless it is darker green and on sale. It is important to mix the water and lettuce first!

I still do walk a mile and a quarter 6 days a week unless raining, and then I do a 30 minute walkaerobics video which is harder than walking the mile. Encourages me to get up and out the door in the morning! I'm usually about halfway through before my mind figures out what's going on. LOL

My breakfast smoothie consists of 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1TBSP Chia seeds 1 scoop protein powder, handful of spinach or kale, handful of blueberries, a carrot or a beet, and some broccoli and a couple cups filtered water. The rest of the day it's whatever I want in whatever quantities I want, because I struggle to maintain weight particularly during running or bicycle season. I try to eat a lot of fruit and veggies but also a lot of dairy and eggs. Had a good steak today. Pisses off the wife tho.:ghostly:

@musketjim You struggle to keep weight ON? That's cool.

@snappy1 what is your choice of protein powder?
I stay away from dairy and eggs; to me, they assist in overloading the body in mucus. I don't have sinus problems like I used to. You go ahead though.

Latest posts

Back