Clearing large trees for more solar.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead dark and I just walked back in. Got the largest tree in this spot dug around. I've broken the chain several times trying to pull it over. Got up on the FEL and moved the chain up more and still won't budge. Lost a chain hook so I tried a grade 5 3/8 bolt no go broke straight away. Tried a chain coupler I'd forgotten I had nope broke that too. Grrr I need some bigger chain and or cable but it's just not in the budget right now.

Spent the last while looking for an affordable 1/2X100 wire rope AKA winch cable. Man stuff has sure gotten pricey! A new one seems to be going for around $170 plus tax and shipping. I found this used one on Ebay for about $120 delivered.

www.ebay.com/itm/294545981089

What do you guys think?

Have you looked at Amsteel Blue rope? As much as you're breaking cables and such, I'd consider using some or all of it in your towing. Something like this item.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224651565137It has a lot of benefits but one of the main reasons I use it is because it retains no energy. If it breaks, it just falls to the ground as it retains no energy so it won't whip at you. At least some of this in your line of tow would be beneficial for safety reasons.
Here's the strength specs for the Amsteel.
https://www.samsonrope.com/mooring/amsteel--blueMy largest piece of the amsteel is 2" diameter and I think it came off a tugboat. It has a 392,000 pound strength rating.

I also prefer straps over chains or cable. A 4" by 20-30' tow strap is only about $20 and most can handle around 20,000 pounds of pulling. Benefit is they weigh so little and are less likely to be damaged compared to a cable if the tree falls on them.

Wish I had known about that 10 minutes ago before I ordered that cable. lol I've got several snatch straps including a couple of those 4 inch ones, somewhere around here. Length is also an issue many if not most of these trees are between 50 and 80 feet tall so having enough length to stay out of the fall zone is critical.

I'm getting old so I hate carrying cables or chains up a ladder or anything to get them high on the tree. I estimate the length I need and attach as many 20' straps as needed (via clevis between each) then just take one end of straps up with me. So much lighter. Once on the ground, I'll either use more straps, chains or whatever to get me to a safe distance.

I cheat and go up in the FEL, when I can get help. (seldom) Otherwise I climb up in to the bucket across the tractor. lol I need a set of controls up there. LMAO

Trying to cancel my ebay order for the cable. Boots a friend of mine brought me this down and it was $30 so less than 1/3 the cost. I just wish he had let me know he was coming and had it. I have a feeling I will end up with both. Oh well 2 is one one is none! lol I'll have to go somewhere to find cable clamps and ends tomorrow probably.

Snapchat-1892446671.jpg

If this does turn out to be 5/8 not 1/2 it's a lot heavier and will handle nearly 50% more load!

ETA: HA My lucky day the ebay seller let me cancel the order! Saved me a pile of $$$ !

Last edited:
Not sure if that was a win loss or draw. Got the roll of cable in hand now. Boots and Savannah were both wrong it's 3/8 not 1/2 or 5/8. It is elevator cable. Looks like it might be 380 feet long, that's what's hand written on the reel anyway. For $30 I'll try it...

Not sure if that was a win loss or draw. Got the roll of cable in hand now. Boots and Savannah were both wrong it's 3/8 not 1/2 or 5/8. It is elevator cable. Looks like it might be 380 feet long, that's what's hand written on the reel anyway. For $30 I'll try it...

How about getting a couple of pulley's and running them back and forth. You double the power at every pulley and don't really add any pressure to the cable.

How about getting a couple of pulley's and running them back and forth. You double the power at every pulley and don't really add any pressure to the cable.
Boots and I talked about that after realizing it was 3/8's cable. He and I are both going to see what we have in our junk piles. LMAO

Last edited:
Today has not gone at all as planned. First broke a tree off 2-3 feet above the stump. Next I pulled the end out of the cable. Cut that messed up end off and clamped it again using a 3rd clamp and broke the cable right at the end and lost the 3rd clamp. At this point I do believe it's time to take the auger off and put the backhoe on the tractor and make a few repairs to it and try again. Just the two largest trees left in this spot. There are plenty more even larger in the next area I need to get out. So it looks like the backhoe is about the only option left at this time. The auger is a lot faster but can't break / chew through roots like the backhoe can.

This has really turned in to a bigger job than expected.

Got the auger switched off for the backhoe. Moved it over where I can work on it. I blew out the knuckle on the boom in and out cylinder awhile back. Well I just checked and I can cut it off and switch it with a good one off of one of the out riggers. I repaired it last year but never got it right. This way I get a good one back on the boom and the messed up one can be on the outrigger. The outriggers don't work nearly as much as the boom does.

I had planned to work on this project all day today. Today did not go as planned my mind wanted to get it done and my body said he-- NO! I was just warn slap out after this week. Oh to be young and healthy again.

OUCH ! ! !

Just back from NAPA getting a 3/8 inch 5 foot long hose made. $111. and change for a little old hose. I needed a bucket of Hyd fluid also but after the price of the hose I didn't have enough cash for fluid. I've had this same hose replaced once before 5 or so years ago. It cost less than $30 last time.

It blew out as soon as I started digging with the backhoe. I still have to go and tear it all apart so I can actually put the new one in. Then I have to pray I have enough hyd oil to top it back up. Probably lost better than 5 gallons. This was the main pressure line coming from the pump to the controls. When it blew out it was rather spectacular!

I've been fighting this hydraulic hose / fitting issue for days now and still no closer to finding a solution. Here's the deal The new hose has a ORFS female end the backhoe has a ORFS fitting that's about 0.5mm larger. Same thread just a tiny fraction larger. There's no room for much modification. I've tried finding a die to turn the treads down smaller but I'm not actually sure that would even work. The original chinese part is just a tiny bit larger an american fitting will thread right in no sweat. The problem comes from the other direction the american nut just will not quite thread on the chinese adaptor. They do not make an amcrican adaptor that I can find to fit like the chinese one.

I am just about at my whit's end!

Certainly open to ideas...............

I've been fighting this hydraulic hose / fitting issue for days now and still no closer to finding a solution. Here's the deal The new hose has a ORFS female end the backhoe has a ORFS fitting that's about 0.5mm larger. Same thread just a tiny fraction larger. There's no room for much modification. I've tried finding a die to turn the treads down smaller but I'm not actually sure that would even work. The original chinese part is just a tiny bit larger an american fitting will thread right in no sweat. The problem comes from the other direction the american nut just will not quite thread on the chinese adaptor. They do not make an amcrican adaptor that I can find to fit like the chinese one.

I am just about at my whit's end!

Certainly open to ideas...............
Can you take the mating fitting to the hose shop?

Ben

Is one a metric and the other is an SAE thread?

Is one a metric and the other is an SAE thread?

Maybe is the only answer I can come up with. The fitting off the backhoe is mostly metric yet the threads are identical to SAE other than being 0.5mm larger. I've had this thing 15 years and I have used it hard during that time. Every time I have to repair or replace something it ALWAYS turns in to a HUGE PITA!

Maybe is the only answer I can come up with. The fitting off the backhoe is mostly metric yet the threads are identical to SAE other than being 0.5mm larger. I've had this thing 15 years and I have used it hard during that time. Every time I have to repair or replace something it ALWAYS turns in to a HUGE PITA!
Did tou try Amazon?

Ben

Chinese fittings on machines that they market themselves often have random sized fitting threads, perhaps because of tool wear or maybe adjustable dies, and I have yet to find a random chinese fitting conversion chart

I "think" I have the fitting going in the hose finally! I'm going to pass along what I did incase anyone else has this problem in the future. I ran a 1/4" bolt through the fitting and chucked it in the drill press. Then I took a file to it and ground the threads about 1/2 way down. Now the OD of the threads is about the same as the American fitting. The ID of the threads is still oversize. With lots of lubricant and working slowly I believe I can get it to thread on and seal... It's on about 1/2 way now but I have to take it back apart and put the fitting back in place then thread the hose back on it. Having everything out where I could get to it was easier for experimenting.

Just wanted to confirm I did get the hydraulics fixed and put about 2 hours on the backhoe. Got dug about halfway around a large tree, might be able to pull it over tomorrow.

I "think" I have the fitting going in the hose finally! I'm going to pass along what I did incase anyone else has this problem in the future. I ran a 1/4" bolt through the fitting and chucked it in the drill press. Then I took a file to it and ground the threads about 1/2 way down. Now the OD of the threads is about the same as the American fitting. The ID of the threads is still oversize. With lots of lubricant and working slowly I believe I can get it to thread on and seal... It's on about 1/2 way now but I have to take it back apart and put the fitting back in place then thread the hose back on it. Having everything out where I could get to it was easier for experimenting.
Did you just use the 1/4 bolt as a tap?

Ben

I used the 1/4" bolt to hold the fitting in the drill press. I pinched the fitting between the bolt & nut and the rest of the threads went up in the chuck. Then I used the file on the threads while the fitting was turning on a slow speed. AKA redneck lathe.

I used the 1/4" bolt to hold the fitting in the drill press. I pinched the fitting between the bolt & nut and the rest of the threads went up in the chuck. Then I used the file on the threads while the fitting was turning on a slow speed. AKA redneck lathe.
So you were making a tap?

Ben

No I just ground down the threads to get closer to the size of the new fitting. I was still not "right" but it worked. By spinning it with the drill press it held it steady and kept it more round than filing by hand would.

if you are breaking cable at the clamps, chances are the clamp is on wrong, the saddle goes on the live (load) side , the u bolt goes on the dead side (cut) this is important, the u bolt crushes the strands and weakens the joint considerably, easy to remember, "never saddle a dead horse"

Latest posts

Back