Cleavers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Galium aparine an ancient medicine, also known as cleavers, Lady’s bedstraw, goose grass catchweed, sticky weed, sticky willy. It’s in the coffee family. The roasted mature seeds actually make true coffee, complete with caffeine.

It has a strong affinity for the lymphatic system, kidneys and the nervous system. Cleavers have the ability to remove calcifications, concretions and cysts out of tissues (muscles, lymph, kidneys). So yes, it will help remove a kidney stone. It is most commonly used for lymphatic congestion.

The ancient Greek physician Pedanius Dioscorides wrote about the many ways cleavers were used back then. Oddly enough one peculiar use was as a sieve to strain impurities from milk.

Cleavers were also used as bedding when women gave birth. For centuries it was commonly thought to have been Mary’s bed when Christ was born, hence the name “Our Lady’s bedstraw”.

Among Native Americans it’s sometimes referred to as “deer medicine”. Deer often sleep in a patch of cleavers. It makes them smell less “deerish”. Twice I have seen fawns sleeping in cleavers.

In the pic cleavers are about 1.5 inches tall. I’ve seen them get about knee high. The leaves form a “whorl” around the stem. There are 6 to 9 leaves in each whorl. There are several subspecies of Galium aparine so they way it looks varies. One thing that doesn’t vary (aside from the whorls) is that the leaves and stems are covered with tiny hooked hairs, hence some of the above names.

I think it is a plant worth knowing… :)
Cleavers (6)_v1.png

Found cleavers blooming today, really strange. It's the plant leaning left with tiny white blooms. The leaves are in a whorl.

It was blooming on April 19th in 2018. Now it's blooming 2 months early. I've seen dozens of plants blooming extremely early this year. In this area it usually means a late snow or a killing frost around the 1st of April. I hope we get neither.

Cleavers seed supposedly makes a decent "coffee." I have not tried this yet, but will if I can find enough seeds.

http://thehomesteadinghippy.com/wild-coffee-substitute/

Cleavers are a distant cousin of coffee, botanically speaking. They are both in the Madder or Rubiaceae family. I don't drink coffee so I've never tried to make a drink from cleavers. :)

Cleavers 01 (1) sm.jpg

I see some little plants that look like tiny clover.
We , as kids, called it sour grass , and chewed it for the lemony taste.
Exactly what is it and and what uses ?

Jim

That's just a baby clever. You should see the monster plants we had up the mountain. I was always glad they were medicinal because they drove me plumb batty (that's the excuse I'm using today). They reach out and grab ya and you can't rid of the buggers. I figured at least they had a purpose if ever the need arose.

Latest posts

Back