Clever 'log' heater/firepit.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess the vent pipe has to be long enough not to burn the tent fabric... but an interesting idea! Makes me wonder if one couldn't simply angle a long pipe slightly upward over a bonfire and get the same result, particularly with a metal cap at the lower end... hafta support the pipe with crutches or whatever, but it could work. :)

Guess the vent pipe has to be long enough not to burn the tent fabric... but an interesting idea! Makes me wonder if one couldn't simply angle a long pipe slightly upward over a bonfire and get the same result, particularly with a metal cap at the lower end... hafta support the pipe with crutches or whatever, but it could work. :)
Your metal cap would defeat your purpose, you need airflow.

It looks like a great idea. Some wire and pipe along with the axe or hatchet that is in camping gear would be a great idea. I see that he has used some thinner pieces of wood to stabilize the log, and one of those is supporting the pipe. I'd bet a person could create something similar to that at least two to hold and support the pipe, that could be kept in camping gear.

Who is going to try this as an experiment? Does anyone have a suggestion for pipe diameter? And is iron pipe better to use than aluminum? Or is there a better option? If you realized that you were going to be out camping in the cold for a while, you could possibly make up a few of the split logs, wired together, ready to burn.

It looks like a great idea. Some wire and pipe along with the axe or hatchet that is in camping gear would be a great idea. I see that he has used some thinner pieces of wood to stabilize the log, and one of those is supporting the pipe. I'd bet a person could create something similar to that at least two to hold and support the pipe, that could be kept in camping gear.

Who is going to try this as an experiment? Does anyone have a suggestion for pipe diameter? And is iron pipe better to use than aluminum? Or is there a better option? If you realized that you were going to be out camping in the cold for a while, you could possibly make up a few of the split logs, wired together, ready to burn.
I think a steel pipe at the fire would be better, I remember watching aluminum cans melting in the fire pit as a kid, so steel would be my bet. Plus a thin steel pipe would be lighter than a thicker cast iron type.

I think a steel pipe at the fire would be better, I remember watching aluminum cans melting in the fire pit as a kid, so steel would be my bet. Plus a thin steel pipe would be lighter than a thicker cast iron type.
I thought that might be true, steel would be better than aluminum. I'm thinking that in order to create the pieces for a project like this, threaded pipes with that curved joint having threads to screw the pipes into. I know that aluminum can be bent for various purposes, but I think that steel is cast in various shapes. Now, where to buy these pieces of steel pipe?

Okay, If I were going to make one of these things, I would use thin wall exhaust tubing, you can buy 90 degree slip on fittings with sizes up to 2 1/2 inches.

But the price would most likely be a shock.... I would guess about $200 for the parts you would need....

Okay, If I were going to make one of these things, I would use thin wall exhaust tubing, you can buy 90 degree slip on fittings with sizes up to 2 1/2 inches.

But the price would most likely be a shock.... I would guess about $200 for the parts you would need....
I found a parts kit for a 2 1/2" exhaust system with enough bends for 2 systems for about $100, so you could make is affordable.

I found a parts kit for a 2 1/2" exhaust system with enough bends for 2 systems for about $100, so you could make it affordable
I agree. Using cheap, common-everywhere 2-1/2" pipe would work far better :thumbs:.

Looks like the backwoods equivalent of committing suicide in your closed garage by running the car.

I thought about that as well...

If the pipe reaches to the bottom of the dire where fresh air is drawn in it would be OK.

Ben
Interesting and important details. I know that there are fireplace inserts that have pipes that work in a similar way, by blowing hot air out into the room.

Your metal cap would defeat your purpose, you need airflow.

Ah, yes... make that a "vented metal cap!" ;)

Looks like the backwoods equivalent of committing suicide in your closed garage by running the car.

Haha, Haertig, that's hilarious! Dang, you should've been a comedian, lol... 🤣

P.S. Hey, my "metal cap" would've SAVED ME!!! :thumbs:

P.S. Hey, my "metal cap" would've SAVED ME!!! :thumbs:
You mean this one? :
58755-c6500aa7f64ebb869ce6807f4233a191.data

:LOL:

Last edited:
Dang, Supe, where the heck didja find the 'tinfoil hat' emoji? I've been looking for one of those, lol... ;)
Feel free to download (save) it.
I have lots of special emojis I tried to share, but there is no room for more here.
81066-brickwall100.gif

Now back on topic dammit Super!
idiot.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back