Closing a food stamp loophole has some people irate!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing worse than waiting at the check stand with your hamburger helper and 70/30 non lean meat, with the person in front of you buying filet Mignon, wearing $ thousands of gold jewelry, then getting into their Range Rover after using a food stamp credit card.

I was going to say same thing. Sometimes it gets lean around here and we are trying to sop using credit cards.

I was going to say same thing. Sometimes it gets lean around here and we are trying to sop using credit cards.

What ticks me off is that people with 140% (or more) above-poverty-level income can get food stamps at all. If you are ABOVE the poverty level you shouldn't be able to get food stamps at all. (Or welfare checks, housing subsidies, etc.) Poverty level for a mother and three children is currently around $25,000 - $26,000 yrly.

What ticks me off is that people with 140% (or more) above-poverty-level income can get food stamps at all. If you are ABOVE the poverty level you shouldn't be able to get food stamps at all. (Or welfare checks, housing subsidies, etc.) Poverty level for a mother and three children is currently around $25,000 - $26,000 yrly.
I don't understand the system. My son has a wife and 2 kids. Works 2 jobs and is just over the line. But the guy not doing anything gets a little help. He gets really annoyed at the check out. I still say we should test for illegal drugs.

Me too! But then you have the olagarchs ruled over by big biz pushing even worse drugs on the addicts like methodone and another new one don't know name of. Making out like the bandits they are from illegal drugs and legal ones too. No way do they want border control ,what a crock that is.
Big pharma aka sorcerer [ in Greek pharmacia means sorcery aka pharmacy ].

Last edited:
Yep, monthly mandatory drug tests, paid for by the money you are about to receive. Yep, that is the price you must pay if you want free handouts. Speaking of, have you ever counted the free phones the homeless have in their possession? This waste must stop!

Like the poor little refugees coming across borders, they wear $150 shoes, jeans and cell phones.
Go sit in parking lot of WalMart for 30 minutes and watch what these people ride in. Only older cars in lot are us older people and a few young white family men .

I have not read or heard enough about President Trump’s proposed changes to have an opinion on them. Only what the MSM brings up, which I trust less than zero of what they are saying about it.

I will say it is about time to start somewhere on those programs and if he has any thought on it, I am all for hearing about them. President Trump even bringing it up, is a great start. We all know all these ‘assistance’ programs are full of abuse. They have become a ‘lifestyle’ choice for many people who get on them. Heck, we know many families are generational users of them! Call it the family business if you will.

They started out with good intentions but have grown to be abused too easily. They started out as a hand up and become a hand out. There is no reason anyone should be on them for a lifetime, none. We, as Americans, are wealthy and caring enough to help anyone in need. And we should help those in need. But we need to help them out of their situation and not prolong that poor situation that got them to need that assistance.

It isn’t going to be easy and it isn’t going to be fast, but it needs to start, today. A great first step would be to require anyone, ANYONE, receiving any kind of “Govt. assistance” to be audited. Schedule a meeting, face to face, in a local office to find out exactly what is going on with them. I think that requires them to be audited by the IRS and need to bring in bills and other paperwork to prove their situation. Bring all that in and talk or we cut you off. Then a visit to the residence the checks are mailed to is in order. Find out exactly what is going on, one by one. Who else lives there? How do they live? What do they drive? What is their home like? What kind of possessions do they have?

Even if offices need to hire and train additional staff to accomplish this, it will save taxpayer money in the long run.

The last thing Democrats want to see is Welfare/Food Stamp reforms. Since they control the House, it is not likely we'll see any reforms anytime soon. What is actually needed is a complete REPEAL of all the welfare/food stamp laws, and to start over with a completely fresh outlook, but THAT'S not gonna happen, either.

I have not read or heard enough about President Trump’s proposed changes to have an opinion on them. Only what the MSM brings up, which I trust less than zero of what they are saying about it.

I will say it is about time to start somewhere on those programs and if he has any thought on it, I am all for hearing about them. President Trump even bringing it up, is a great start. We all know all these ‘assistance’ programs are full of abuse. They have become a ‘lifestyle’ choice for many people who get on them. Heck, we know many families are generational users of them! Call it the family business if you will.

They started out with good intentions but have grown to be abused too easily. They started out as a hand up and become a hand out. There is no reason anyone should be on them for a lifetime, none. We, as Americans, are wealthy and caring enough to help anyone in need. And we should help those in need. But we need to help them out of their situation and not prolong that poor situation that got them to need that assistance.

It isn’t going to be easy and it isn’t going to be fast, but it needs to start, today. A great first step would be to require anyone, ANYONE, receiving any kind of “Govt. assistance” to be audited. Schedule a meeting, face to face, in a local office to find out exactly what is going on with them. I think that requires them to be audited by the IRS and need to bring in bills and other paperwork to prove their situation. Bring all that in and talk or we cut you off. Then a visit to the residence the checks are mailed to is in order. Find out exactly what is going on, one by one. Who else lives there? How do they live? What do they drive? What is their home like? What kind of possessions do they have?

Even if offices need to hire and train additional staff to accomplish this, it will save taxpayer money in the long run.

The do visit them, but its the same as the fox guarding the hen house. L&Ms aka liberals and minorities do the investigating.:rolleyes:

The last thing Democrats want to see is Welfare/Food Stamp reforms. Since they control the House, it is not likely we'll see any reforms anytime soon. What is actually needed is a complete REPEAL of all the welfare/food stamp laws, and to start over with a completely fresh outlook, but THAT'S not gonna happen, either.

I'm Independent nationalist conservative so I don't have anyone to vote for.

But lets not forget about all those GMO big biz food corps the RINOS like so much either. Hubby votes Trump.

If there is a way to beat the system, the lazy and shrewd people will find it. And work it! Food stamps have been abused and many people have no understanding how that happens. If you have never spent any time in the inner city, you have little idea and might think I am just judgmental. I am very aware of people selling off their "needed" (not) food stamps for pennies on the dollar for whatever else they want, such alcohol, drugs, tattoos, and imho, non-essentials.

I know of people who are on disability (for what I cannot figure out) and are concerned about the loss of benefits. Maybe time to stop with all the party supplies!

If there is a way to beat the system, the lazy and shrewd people will find it. And work it! Food stamps have been abused and many people have no understanding how that happens. If you have never spent any time in the inner city, you have little idea and might think I am just judgmental. I am very aware of people selling off their "needed" (not) food stamps for pennies on the dollar for whatever else they want, such alcohol, drugs, tattoos, and imho, non-essentials.

I know of people who are on disability (for what I cannot figure out) and are concerned about the loss of benefits. Maybe time to stop with all the party supplies!

Well I hate to admit it but cigaretts are a expensive neccessity for us. But we never eat out even on trips we take our food and don't spend money on clothes much but we do want to quit.
I think at least half of disability is fraud. Even some doctors push it. Ask me why I'm not on it, I ask back why? I'm in good condition considering all the things I've done. But like most smokers I'm one cough away from checking out. If I ever slow down I would lose what lungs I have left. So I work at keepign them busy.

When you think about it, food stamps is just another form of currency. If you don't have dollars in cold, hard cash, you might have a SNAP card with some value to a whole segment of people who have now figured out how to manipulate that value into something else that they think they need or want, abusing its intended purpose. I'd bet that even when it was commodities that were being given out that there was misuse and abuse. Create a new system and it will be misused and abused.

When you think about it, food stamps is just another form of currency. If you don't have dollars in cold, hard cash, you might have a SNAP card with some value to a whole segment of people who have now figured out how to manipulate that value into something else that they think they need or want, abusing its intended purpose. I'd bet that even when it was commodities that were being given out that there was misuse and abuse. Create a new system and it will be misused and abused.

Yep I remember when my aunt would buy government cheese from her neighbor. She said it was the best cheese she ever tasted.
She would take the lady to the farmers market to pick up the gov food.
Our family back then would watch us all starve before they would ask for anything. They called it begging. Not anymore! That false pride can be dangerous to your health.

Yep I remember when my aunt would buy government cheese from her neighbor. She said it was the best cheese she ever tasted.
She would take the lady to the farmers market to pick up the gov food.
Our family back then would watch us all starve before they would ask for anything. They called it begging. Not anymore! That false pride can be dangerous to your health.
I like government cheese. It was what was used in school lunchrooms when I was a child. Maybe it still is. Grilled cheese was not uncommon when I was a child, and grilled cheese is still very popular in school lunchrooms today.

I actually don't believe in government assistance at all. I don't mean that I don't believe in helping folks, but anyone who is good honest and hard working will have friends, family, church, and community assistance. It's not always easy, but like Meer said, there's no begging. If help is accepted, it's also appreciated. If someone is a lying druggy (or whatever) they are less likely to get help from friends family or community. They burn their bridges. Government has proven inept in managing our retirement, our education, our lands, etc. what qualifies them to handle our charities? The government should protect the citizenry and the country. They don't need to try to manage anything else. (IMO)

I've said this for years. Fraud is rampant on all forms of government assistance. We need to shut it ALL down, them make everyone re-apply using facial recognition, social security and fingerprints. Yeah, some will suffer, so place them in a food line and have them register first, but this will weed out the criminals.

I've said this for years. Fraud is rampant on all forms of government assistance. We need to shut it ALL down, them make everyone re-apply using facial recognition, social security and fingerprints. Yeah, some will suffer, so place them in a food line and have them register first, but this will weed out the criminals.
Good idea. We could say it's for the children. Need to make sure the baby's momma is buying food and not drugs.

Oh, there is no dignity in that. People need choices. They need to be treated with dignity.

Say the people who don't get it.

Amazing this is going on and there appears to be no checks and balances on welfare. If people can afford to live with their income they should not be on welfare of any sort.

I know many people have times in their lives when they are short of money due to circumstances and there are heaps of community organisations out there to help them short term.

Amazing this is going on and there appears to be no checks and balances on welfare. If people can afford to live with their income they should not be on welfare of any sort.

I know many people have times in their lives when they are short of money due to circumstances and there are heaps of community organisations out there to help them short term.
Yes, it is amazing. The welfare thing has come on slowly, inch by inch, step by step, piece by piece. People have become disabled by it. When you are used to living a particular life style, you stay at that, unless or until you can figure out something better. Welfare is definitely a mentality. If someone were to give you money for food for most of your life, the day that they did not would be an outrage to you.

The "selling" of food stamps is real. I have been approached to give people money in exchange for their food stamps, which is now a card (dignity and more difficult to sell, not) called SNAP. Not a chance in hell that I would ever participate in that!

I had a now deceased friend who lived by a Section 8 building. This building was a long row house that faced a fairly busy street. There was lots of traffic in the building. Actually, from what I've heard on social media, it is still a busy building. Many years ago, she and her neighbors got together and decided to observe, study and see what they could do about problems there. One night, it was observed from the back of the building, that cocaine was being measured out and packaged in one of the units. Come to find out, the unit had been rented to a grandmother. Grandma had done all the work to rent the unit, maybe with her grandson's help and for her grandson. I thought there were stricter guidelines about who could get into such units, but you know if there is a way to scam the system, someone will figure it out.

I don't think there is a human need that is not handed out for free. I don't understand the free cell phones. WTH? I was working on refinancing my mortgage several years ago, and one of the men involved was telling about his sister who evidently spends her life working the system. She gets free coats, food, turkeys and complete meals at Thanksgiving, clothing for her children, school supplies, you name it they can get it. Instead of spending her life working the system, why not spend her life getting some training or education and working?

Latest posts

Back