Coat Hooks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was cleaning out the shop this afternoon and found these hooks. Pretty sure they've been there 40+ years. There are 5 ornate hooks mounted on a small bracket.

On the back of the bracket is stamped "Taiwan" so they aren't a family heirloom. Maybe from the 60's or 70's, probably belonged to my grandmother if I had to guess.

The hooks are heavy duty, each could easily support 50-75lbs. But the bracket wouldn't support 5 hooks with that much weight on each. It's about 3/16ths thick.

There is surface rust in several places so there is a fair amount of iron in the metal.

I have no idea what this was used for... Any ideas? I'm always looking for extra spots to hang my hats (got a few of them). It's not big enough for more than 2 hats or coats.

hooks 07may22 1a .JPG
hooks 07may22 2a .JPG

I think those are coat hooks. Because I lived with grandparents and visited other old people, I have seen hooks just like this. The closet rod and coat hangers have not always existed. Everyone didn't have closets. A hook like this could be on the back of a door for hanging up coats or even clothing. People didn't have very many clothes, maybe just a couple of changes and would hang clothing on hooks or even nails that were pounded in a corner or behind a door.

I was cleaning out the shop this afternoon and found these hooks. Pretty sure they've been there 40+ years. There are 5 ornate hooks mounted on a small bracket.

On the back of the bracket is stamped "Taiwan" so they aren't a family heirloom. Maybe from the 60's or 70's, probably belonged to my grandmother if I had to guess.

The hooks are heavy duty, each could easily support 50-75lbs. But the bracket wouldn't support 5 hooks with that much weight on each. It's about 3/16ths thick.

There is surface rust in several places so there is a fair amount of iron in the metal.

I have no idea what this was used for... Any ideas? I'm always looking for extra spots to hang my hats (got a few of them). It's not big enough for more than 2 hats or coats.

View attachment 86002View attachment 86003
I have the very same "set". For some reason I thought they were for in the laundry room - like for hanging towels etc. I will see if I can verify that.

That's it "fountain hooks"! Guess I'll clean it up and store it. After looking at it for a day... I have no real use for it. It's not very functional for my needs. It might be useful by the back door during hurricanes or tornadoes (hanging rain slickers). But the rest of the time it'd be in the way.

Last edited:
my guess, or what it would become in my world is a small item drying rack, if it was mounted to a post, so that the rack could hold lots of small pieces to dry etc

View attachment 86002View attachment 86003
Its not a coat hook, its part of an ornate wall light. Might even be worth money to a restoration engineer.
They DO look a lot alike however.

Looks like you'd be able to fold it almost flat, and out of the way, unless it was in use.

I agree with WeedyGarden.
Cost hooks, they swing so when not in use they are out of the way, today they are called "Safety Hooks".
if you run into them they move, soften the blow or damage.
1970 would make them 50 years old, something old for the next niece wedding.

Latest posts

Back