Coleslaw

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finely chopped cabbage, apples, and carrots salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing of mayonnaise, milk, sugar a bit of mustard and vinegar.

It's not a recipe just what I use. don't thin the dressing too much and you can add raisins. It depends on what your tastes are.

I’d be interested in seeing some recipes, too. My Dad made a delicious vinegar and oil cole slaw. He would shred the cabbage and onions, salt it and let the salt pull the juices out and sort of wilt the cabbage. Then he would squeeze most of the juice out and use vinegar, sugar and oil to taste. It was always great. I haven’t done it in a while.

Finely chopped cabbage, apples, and carrots salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing of mayonnaise, milk, sugar a bit of mustard and vinegar.

It's not a recipe just what I use. don't thin the dressing too much and you can add raisins. It depends on what your tastes are.
That's my kind of recipe.thanks for sharing!

Does anyone have a good coleslaw recipe they would share?
I'm a coleslaw lover and always thought Popeye's was the best.
I knew one of their secrets was to not shred the cabbage too fine so it was still 'chewable'.
But I couldn't duplicate it.
So I asked them point-blank what their secret was.
Their answer: "It's the pickle juice". And it doesn't take much.
Should have figured that because Cajuns waste nothing. Why buy vinegar when there is plenty in that pickle jar?
This person spent a lot of time duplicating it and I bet it is great:
Recipe here:
https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/pickle-slaw/
Pickle-Slaw-900x675.jpg

Another secret: it has to marinate overnight in the fridge.
Cabbage, Carrots, salt, and mayo.
I can't stand vinegar slaws.
Amen! KFC's is the worst! :barf:
Their recipe: Put some cabbage in a food-processor. Turn it off and dump the mush into a bowl, flood it with vinegar, and serve. Lazy=yuck.

Last edited:
I knew one of their secrets was to not shred the cabbage too fine so it was still 'chewable'.
Should have figured that because Cajuns waste nothing. Why buy vinegar when there is plenty in that pickle jar?
Recipe here:
Pickle-Slaw-900x675.jpg

Their recipe: Put some cabbage in a food-processor. Turn it off and dump the mush into a bowl, flood it with vinegar, and serve. Lazy=yuck.
Thanks 42😋

Recipe here:
Pickle-Slaw-900x675.jpg

Having raised a child who would have eaten KFC for every meal for years, I can tell you that KFC has two different coleslaw recipes. One is creamy, the other one not at all. I prefer the creamy one. When I travel, I am very aware that if I drive through KFC for food, I may get either recipe. I know where to get the creamy recipe close to me.

I've never been a big fan of coleslaw. I'll eat it if someone made it just to be polite. I have many fine memories of living in WV... except they put coleslaw on everything, even hotdogs and once I was served a bowl of chili with a little scoop of slaw on top. 🤪

However, there was one lady at the lodge years ago who made coleslaw I loved. Rough chop, creamy and and she added finely diced jalapeno. Not a lot, just enough for big flavor and a tiny bit of warmth. Now she made good coleslaw!

Last edited:
https://www.chadsbbq.com/history-of-coleslaw/The History of Coleslaw
Paired often with slow-cooked barbecue, grilled chicken, or pork, coleslaw is one of the most popular side dishes around. But, have you ever wondered where coleslaw came from? And, how did it become the side dish that it is today? We’re here to tell you the story of how this dish came to be. Read below to discover the unique history of coleslaw.

The Origin of Coleslaw
history of coleslaw

Like much of American cuisine, the coleslaw is inspired by dishes from all over the world. The roots of coleslaw recipes make their way back to ancient Rome. Roman citizens would often eat a meal featuring cabbage, eggs, vinegar, and other spices.

On the other side of the globe, the Dutch founders of New York served a shredded cabbage salad. This is similar to today’s ‘slaw. The dish was initially created in the Netherlands. In fact, the term coleslaw originates from the Dutch expression koosla, which means “cabbage salad.” Recipes similar to coleslaw have been found and used in American homes from as early as 1770. However, one of the most pivotal moments in the history of coleslaw was the creation of mayonnaise in the 18th century.

Coleslaw’s Evolution in America
Although the main ingredients are still mostly there, coleslaws across America have integrated new flavors and varieties. Inspired by ingredients from around the world, coleslaws today may include odd combinations. For example, curry, jicama, sweet onion, sesame oil, bok choy, and even granny smith apples.

Some even argue that coleslaw can be made without cabbage. Other shredded vegetables have been known to take the place of shredded cabbage. These recipes call for root vegetables, fennel, beets, or carrots instead. However, these variations are not common, and most recipes you find online today still include some type of cabbage.

Although many international coleslaws are made without mayonnaise, the signature American recipe would not be complete without it. Especially when served with barbecue, mayonnaise-based dressings are a worthy complement to the smoky tang of BBQ’d meats. It’s no wonder coleslaw has turned into a traditional side dish for a barbecue.

Try Chad’s Coleslaw
The chefs at Chad’s BBQ have created a recipe so good, it’s sure to make the history books. So, the next time you’re in Edgewater, be sure to stop by for a quick bite to eat. Since 2013, we have been committed to making simple good great. Check out the recipe section of our blog. It’s a great place to be inspired to make your own homecooked meals. However, if you are just in the mood for some great BBQ, just give us a call.

Does anyone have a good coleslaw recipe they would share?
Pearl, what a great topic for a thread. Thank you.
I like to eat salads in the summer. I will make up a salad and have it for a few meals before it is gone, sometimes with a sandwich, sometimes just salad. I have some great bowls that I got a few years ago at Costco with snap on lids that are the bowls that I use for storing my salads in the fridge.

DW make this one.

I made coleslaw for the first time, and it was pretty easy with the Vitamix. Most things I make in the Vitamix I process until they are maximally smooth, so it’s a bit of a change of pace to make something intentionally chunky. I was concerned about over processing, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I’m not a big fan of mayonnaise, so I made a vinaigrette dressing.
I loosely followed a recipe from Mark Bittman. The Vitamix allows you to first shred the vegetables and then easily make an emulsion of oil/vinegar/other flavors. I used:
2 carrots
2 red jalapeños (deseeded)
1 small sweet onion
½ large head cabbage
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic
salt & pepper
To shred the vegetables, process them separately (although I combined the carrots and jalapeños because the jalapeños were so small). I used variable speed 5 for the carrots and onion with the dry-chop method. You put the lid on the empty container, start the machine, and then drop chunks of the vegetables in. I cut the carrots into thirds and the onion into quarters. Once they’re chopped dump them into a bowl.
I wet-chopped the cabbage, which means that I put chunks of cabbage into the container, covered them with water (after quartering and coring the cabbage), and locked the lid on. I pulsed them on high 4 times (left switch on high, on-off switch rapidly turned on and off). The one thing to watch out for is the chunks I used at first were a bit too large to process/circulate evenly. I salvaged them by straining them and re-processing the bigger chunks. I looked back at the Vitamix manual and found that they recommend cutting cabbage into 1.5-inch chunks. They also recommend just running the wet chop at variable speed 5 for 5-10 seconds instead of the pulsing on high that I used, so I’ll try that next time. Once they’re processed you can drain them in a colander.
I had a little extra time, so I soaked the shredded onions and cabbage in salt water for about 30 minutes, which takes the edge off the raw onions and reportedly makes the onion and cabbage more crisp. (I’m curious to try some side-by-side tests, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.) After 30 minutes I rinsed them in a colander.
While those were soaking I blended up the dressing. One thing to watch out for here is that we’re blending the bare minimum volume that the Vitamix can handle–4 oz–, which means that it’s a good idea to chop up the garlic a bit before putting it in. Normally I would just toss the whole clove in, but when I did that in this case it had a little trouble with getting stuck under the blades since there was so little liquid circulating. Bittman recommends gradually adding the oil while mixing the other ingredients; I’m not sure if it’s really necessary with the Vitamix, but I did it anyway to be on the safe side. So I added all dressing ingredients except for oil, started on low, gradually added the oil, then briefly ramped up to high.
Toss everything together in a bowl and enjoy! I was pleased with how this came out.

MIL

COLESLAW

INGREDIENTS

2 carrots
½ bell pepper
1 small sweet onion
½ large head cabbage
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Duke's Mayonnaise to moisten
1 large clove garlic
dill pickle relish to taste
salt & pepper to taste
honey if you want a sweet flavor

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Shred the vegetables
  2. Soak the shredded onions and cabbage in salt water for about 30 minutes, which takes the edge off the raw onions and reportedly makes the onion and cabbage more crisp.
  3. Rinse in a colander.
  4. Toss everything together in a bowl and mix well.
  5. Enjoy!

You can add dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries or dates along with sunflower seeds, walnuts, or almonds for more flavor & crunch.

Pearl, what a great topic for a thread. Thank you.
I like to eat salads in the summer. I will make up a salad and have it for a few meals before it is gone, sometimes with a sandwich, sometimes just salad. I have some great bowls that I got a few years ago at Costco with snap on lids that are the bowls that I use for storing my salads in the fridge.
I eat a lot of salads too, including chicken salads, tuna, and lots of veggie and different lettuces. I will have access to cabbage this summer that a friend is growing so I thought I'd better find some variations of coleslaw recipies😋

Latest posts

Back