College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the heck happened? Anybody?

The last I saw Auburn was taking a knee, up by 7. It's now OT and bama is up by 7?

Edit, now 17-17 in OT?

Bama wins 24-22 in the 4th OT! Strange things have happened in this game my entire life. This has to be the strangest one of all time...
Bama wins 24 to 22 in 4 overtimes!
The packed stadium of fans got their money's worth! :thumbs:
<error 404: covid panic not found>:LOL:

Last edited:
xichigan is headed for a reckoning next week. I have a feeling Coach Day hasn't forgotten Harbaughs comments last year. He is known to hold a grudge and last year he told the team we are going to lay a hundred on them before they chumped out of The Game .
What was that? Please clarify. =-)

LSU sent Coach O out with a win for his last home game. Came back and beat TX Am. A really good game. I'll watch this one again this week.

TN beat Vandy as expected. KY was beating someone when I last checked in on that game, still not sure who they played.

Bama wins 24 to 22 in 4 overtimes!
The packed stadium of fans got their money's worth! :thumbs:
<error 404: covid panic not found>:LOL:
Guess that's what I get for giving up! I started to make supper. I heard (probably Gary Danielson)(#$%^) say something about taking a knee, peeked at the tv and saw a couple auburn players on a knee.

I flipped to another game I wanted to see, thought Bama was toast!

And since the name came up... everyone in the SEC always thinks Danielson hates their team. I don't think it's specific. I think he hates the entire SEC. He was a 60's-70's Big Ten guy, played for lowly Purdue in college...

The Big Ten was the "Premier League" according every sports writer in the country, the Pac Ten a close second. The SEC was a joke to them. For decades this had been the conventional wisdom. That was accepted where he grew up and played.

I think Danielson is also secretly angry because no SEC recruited him. He ended up at poor losing Purdue. He clearly has a bias when announcing SEC games compared to other conferences. There are a few SEC teams he really dislikes - anyone who wins titles and bowl games... How dare these lowly rednecks claim to be a champion of anything! He's almost gleeful when a nobody team is beating any SEC team.

Long story short... I and many other SEC fans have had enough of Danielson. He should never be allowed to call another SEC game. His bias is blatant and shouldn't be accepted. Heck, let him call spring ball in Arizona, no one watches baseball anymore.

Last edited:
Michigan was impressive to be sure. We had friends over, so I didn't see the final of the Alabama game until later in the evening. They managed to dodge another bullet, but I thought they looked dreadful for 58 of the 60 minutes. Not sure they will be so lucky against Georgia.

Several of next week's game look interesting. Alabama vs. Georgia. Michigan vs. Iowa. Oklahoma State vs. Baylor. Pitt vs. Wake Forest. Oregon vs. Utah rematch. I wonder where Notre Dame and Cincinatti fit in the mix?

Roll Tide! This game was nerve racking! Crazy!
I can't even sit down in a chair during games like this. I'm pacing back and forth!!!

I just hope some of the guys heal up before the GA game, at least make it interesting. The offensive line is decimated, best running back belongs in a wheel chair and now a starting receiver will miss the first half of the GA game. He got called for targeting on a kick off! Why was a starting receiver playing on the kick off team? This kid is going to play in the NFL so why was it necessary?

On paper GA will walk over Bama. But this team is just plain strange. They are good enough to destroy any team in 10 minutes, even GA. Leaves the question... Can they play that good for 10min against GA? I have my doubts.

OMG! This bama team can beat anyone at anytime. Not just win, but beat them convincingly. But I didn't not expect todays out come. Georgia has been awesome all year... Well, SEC champs again, we'll take it.

Pundits will be arguing about the bowl games all night, and tomorrow and...

Watched that game from 2nd quarter on. Good game. Bama was dominate, which I wasn't expecting. Georgia defense stayed home today.

Lots of losses from the favorite today it seems.

Watching Mi vs Iowa now.

Play off will be a madhouse if Michigan loses

I just had time to look at some of the stats of the GA/Bama game. Bama could not run on GA, even with a couple of backs that might play for the pros one day.

But Saban took away GA’s run game also…

Then it was a Young/Bennett shoot out… Young – 431yrd passing, Bennett – 340yrds passing… That was the game… Brilliant coaching but Bama players stepped up too. Especially the offensive line, they got embarrassed last week down at Auburn, allowed 7 sacs. Today "0".

Last edited:
I usually keep up with the Heisman candidates but not the last couple of years. Didn't even know Young was in the running until last week.

The Big M just looked great, opening drive of the 3rd quarter, slow, methodical, marched down the field and stuffed it in the end zone.

Starting to look like a match between big M and big A. Funny, a couple weeks ago I was sure it was going to be dogs and buckeyes.

I usually keep up with the Heisman candidates but not the last couple of years. Didn't even know Young was in the running until last week.

The Big M just looked great, opening drive of the 3rd quarter, slow, methodical, marched down the field and stuffed it in the end zone.

Starting to look like a match between big M and big A. Funny, a couple weeks ago I was sure it was going to be dogs and buckeyes.

I think you may be right. I'm betting Georgia and bama won't be 2 and 3 in the pre playoff ranking. THey don't want a 2nd match up right away. Probably be bama vs cinci and Ga vs Mich in the Semi's.

Never count Saban out. He always seems to find a way. It will be interesting. I thought Baylor and Cincinatti both looked impressive. We will see if they can play with the big boys, I would think Cincinatti, Michigan, and Alabama are a lock. The fourth team will be debated. Will it be Georgia or Notre Dame? IMHO those two would be more deserving than a two-loss team. Who do you think will get the bid?

Never count Saban out. He always seems to find a way. It will be interesting. I thought Baylor and Cincinatti both looked impressive. We will see if they can play with the big boys, I would think Cincinatti, Michigan, and Alabama are a lock. The fourth team will be debated. Will it be Georgia or Notre Dame? IMHO those two would be more deserving than a two-loss team. Who do you think will get the bid?
IMO it should be Georgia. Being #1 almost the entire season and beating everyone easily against the SEC schedule counts for something. Even though they laid an egg yesterday. ND really hasn't beaten anyone good.

Awww, heck!!
There ain't but one REAL college football game, and that's next Saturday at 3:00 PM.
Army - Navy.
The only football game where all the players are willing to die for everyone watching.

GO ARMY!!! BEAT NAVY!!!

@rice paddy daddy Navy tradition! Enlisted root for Army during the game, officers root for the academy! At least on my ship, always thought that was funny.

The selection is in... Bama/Cinnci and GA/Michigan... I haven't seen Cinnci play other than a few minutes of a single game. But the other 3, I'm satisfied they are the best in the nation.

Last edited:
Awww, heck!!
There ain't but one REAL college football game, and that's next Saturday at 3:00 PM.
Army - Navy.
The only football game where all the players are willing to die for everyone watching.

GO ARMY!!! BEAT NAVY!!!
I agree with you. And, dad was in the Army during WW2, and in hind sight I should have joined the Army instead of being a cop but at least i have 3 awesome kids out of my misguided life.

Go Army!!!!

Oh, and Go Michigan!!!!

I thought the Final Four were all good choices. Did it break anybody's heart that Notre Dame was the team that got snubbed? We will see if Cincinnati can play with the big boys. Georgia/Michigan should be a good one.

I could put this in Jokes and Humor, but I thought it might be appreciated more here.

Bubba and Earl have tickets to the Iron Bowl (Alabama/Auburn - I know I am preaching to the choir here). They were lucky to score the tickets at the very top of the stadium, and have been waiting all year for the game. While the game is going on Bubba looks over the wall and sees a funeral procession going by; a Limo, a hearse, and a long line of cars with their lights on. Bubba bows his head, and removes his hat until the procession has passed. Earl looks at Bubba, and says " I didn't know you were so religious." Bubba replies " It was the least I could do. I was married to her for twenty three years. "

Sorry @Morgan101 I was rooting for big MO tonight. I thought they had it won...

Covid news for the playoffs, A team gets sick, they forfeit. If neither team can play a game its ruled a no contest/no make up.

If only one team is left standing, they win even if they didn't play anyone.

If no team can play... we'll see ya next year! :)

Sorry @Morgan101 I was rooting for big MO tonight. I thought they had it won...

Covid news for the playoffs, A team gets sick, they forfeit. If neither team can play a game its ruled a no contest/no make up.

If only one team is left standing, they win even if they didn't play anyone.

If no team can play... we'll see ya next year! :)

Peanut, we certainly appreciate your support. First, IMHO a team that is 6-6 does not deserve to go to a bowl game. Second, you go into a game with a new quarterback, and without your top running back, your expectations can't be too high. There were a few other players who "opted out" since they had declared for the NFL draft. College Football has certainly changed. I know I am way on the downhill side, but in the day players would have died to go to a bowl game. Now it is no big deal. They played a good game, and were respectable. Maybe next year.

I thought the Mizzou player’s attitudes were good. But I don’t think that’s what beat them. Both teams attitudes seemed similar in the first half. And Mizzou’s better talent was reflected in the way they scored. Their attitudes didn’t change at the half. The change occurred in the other locker room.

5 min into the 3rd quarter I had a grin on my face. It was from fond memories. I was watching an excellent example of military discipline! I saw it many times, was a part of it.

Every soldier on the field was trained in small unit tactics. At the half, they focused and then they performed as a unit. That’s what beat Mizzou. It wasn’t talent or size, speed. It was military discipline. That’s were I think the academy's have a edge over civilian colleges, a different level of discipline. But even they have been slipping for years.

------------

Florida got a whoopin’, no other way to describe it. I know coaches were fired recently and a top to bottom cleaning is happening in Gainsville. But they looked bad, in the 2nd half discipline broke down.

Hope sanity rules the day with coaches. Since Spurrier left boosters/students/fans had increased in power each year. So the administration has fired good people or made it impossible for them to work there. It had become mob rule!

The TN fans last month is an example, mob rule. If we don’t get our way we'll throw a tantrum. They need to be led out behind the school woodshed, preferably by their ear. Then stand for a good belting, tan that hide good! Administrators need to take control of their schools.

I’ve seen it here in Tuskaloosa. A special student investigative group, appointed by the student council but independent of any controls. They are made up of “take a knee” screamers with pink hats… nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan! :rolleyes:

(did I mention they can go after anyone except admin) (anyone, even the university police)

Last edited:
1640806848612.png
1640806802539.png

I’ve watched every single bowl game or playoff game in college football this year. An observation… As a whole I’ve seen more bad calls by ref’s, than any season in memory. Calls that played a factor in who won the games.

The TN game last night was pitiful! Granted, TN asked for it with far to many calls that were legitimate first. They had several pass interference calls, 2 by the same cornerback. The 3rd call he got was a great play, should have made the highlight reels. But the call went against him. TN had created the situation were they clearly were the bad guys with legitimate calls. The ref’s no longer viewed the game play with unbiased eyes. Instead TN had became a team to get under control. That shouldn’t happen, but there it is… Then a few bad calls at the end of the game determined the winner.

Ref’s interjected bias in several games I’ve seen in the last week. There has been a small plague of it going around.

And what’s up with all the leg cramps? Is there a shortage of Gatorade this year? Game after game… leg cramps! Drink you idiots!

And what’s up with 5 SEC losses? That hasn’t happened in a while. South Carolina finally stepped up yesterday and won. In every loss, bad calls played a factor.

And the 400lb gorilla in the room… kids declining to play because they are going pro in a few weeks at the NFL draft. This has affected almost every game, especially the good teams with multiple players turning Pro. I have no solution for this… on one hand if player accepted a scholarship to play ball, he should play until the season is over. On the other hand, $$millions are waiting for some of these guys. What to do?

10 of the last 15 National Champions have been SEC schools, they have been hammered with kids leaving early for the NFL, dozens of them every year.

Latest posts

Back