College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've all seen this sort of thing... men get tired while doing a job they love. Their heart isn't in it anymore but they don't know how to stop. Bobby Bowden stayed way to long. Spurrier should have left sooner. Joe Pa is another one.

My own dad was the worst. We raised cattle and had 200 peach trees. He should have stopped 5 years sooner. I could see his heart wasn't in it anymore. But he didn't know how to stop even though he was no longer physically able to do the work.

So so true. I even see it in myself. My heart just isn't in it anymore. Something I really loved to do that I am physically no longer able to do, at least not at the level I was. Fortunately for me, it is part time work, and I can cut back, and do what I am able. It just isn't as fun as it used to be. In fact, "fun" doesn't even enter into the equation. Now I just do it for the money.

I totally agree with all the coaches you mentioned. I might put Urban Meier and Lew Holtz in that category as well.

I UT still in the constant battle with Michigan for the largest stadium in the country? I know they went back and forth for many years.
We had the largest for a few years. But took some seats out and added fancy air conditions boxes for the big money donors. I think we are still top 5 numbers wise. I haven't been to a game since 2010. Just don't like crowds that much. Saturdays are work days around the house for me most weeks anyway. I just record the games and watch when I have time

I’m interested in the fall ball and what our new DC is going to do, he’s got big shoes to fill. Like him as a coach and person but he’s in a tough situation coming in to take over one of the top defenses in the country with no experience with the scheme. It will either float and shine or sink like a large anchor, time will tell. Go Pokes!
035AD516-6B96-416B-94B0-3604DDCA8894.jpeg

Current standings.... 7 sec schools have won.
Auburn, GA, TN, Mizzu, Tx am, AK and Ol MS. HEY! AK won their season opener! a shocker there... It's been 2 years since they beat a sec team, maybe this is the year.

playing...
KY, Vandy, FL, MSst, SC and Bama are all winning.

LSU plays tomorrow...

Oh, Bama just scored... again... It's starting to look like school yard pitch and catch. 41-0, 15seconds left in the 1st half. And who the heck is this kid named Burton?

Oh, Bama just scored... again... It's starting to look like school yard pitch and catch. 41-0, 15seconds left in the 1st half. And who the heck is this kid named Burton?
Well, I missed the first little part of the game but I'll swear Utah State has never made it past the 50-yard line :( :oops:.
BTW, I never heard of Utah State.
Maybe the Tide is just showing off playing a junior-college.:dunno:

12min left in the 3rd quarter... Young and the rest of the Bama #1's are out of the game. Maybe it won't get sloppy.
Well, 55 to zero.
Utah State almost scored against the second-string at the end:oops:.
That was certainly a nail-biter!!!:LOL:
(remember, this is smack-talk)

I was surprised Folrida beat Utah. Maybe Utah was overrated. I only saw the second half of Notre Dame/Ohio State, but what I saw was ALL Ohio State. Maybe Notre Dame was overrated as well. I was not surprised Georgia won, but I was surprised by the margin. Is Oregon overrated? A lot of talking heads say USC may be the best in the West.

SEC looks very solid top to bottom. Even Vanderbilt won.

I just watched the LSU game this afternoon. I don’t know what to say other than pitiful! They looked well coached for less than 5min of the entire game.

Mr. Kelly is supposed to be a great coach… I didn’t see it. Either the players are so bad they can’t be coached or Kelly n crew did nothing right in preparation.

Players were in the wrong defense and offense most of the time, that's play calling by the coaches. For the rest, individual players were out of position or didn’t know their assignments. Again, coaching... An all-american LSU receiver with only 2 catches for 20yds? ...coaching.

In the end the coaching and the players are to blame for looking this bad. LSU has a very long climb to get out of this hole. They better work fast, every team in the SEC west is licking their chops after this debacle!

This says it all...
Vandy 2-0
Lsu 0-1

Last edited:
I just watched the LSU game this afternoon. I don’t know what to say other than pitiful! They looked well coached for less than 5min of the entire game.

Mr. Kelly is supposed to be a great coach… I didn’t see it. Either the players are so bad they can’t be coached or Kelly n crew did nothing right in preparation.

Players were in the wrong defense and offense most of the time, that's play calling by the coaches. For the rest, individual players were out of position or didn’t know their assignments. Again, coaching... An all-american LSU receiver with only 2 catches for 20yds? ...coaching.

In the end the coaching and the players are to blame for looking this bad. LSU has a very long climb to get out of this hole. They better work fast, every team in the SEC west is licking their chops after this debacle!

This says it all...
Vandy 2-0
Lsu 0-1
I was forced to watch it yesterday because I will be questioned about it by neighbors :(.
I watched, and again, and again, Fl. State only had 3 rushers against LSU's 6 blockers.
They ran thru them like water every time! gaah
The Bama game was great though:thumbs:.
Did they get the third-string out there before it was over?:LOL:

Did they get the third-string out there before it was over?:LOL:

Saban went old school, 1st string then everybody else. There is no telling who you might see.

Reminded me, when coaches could dress out as many players as they wanted. When Bear coached I'd see players on the sideline without a jersey, just pads. They dressed out so many players... they didn't have enough jerseys so some guys had to share. The Bear played everyone, see players handing off jerseys leaving the field.

After the LSU game, how long does the new coach have. Seems like his team has already quit. Talk of transfers already

How the mighty have fallen. I don't like the new transfer rule, personally. IMHO there should be some penalty to the player for transferring.

Next week we will have a real test against a real opponent (Mizzou vs. Kansas State). It will be an early sign of how the season will go.

On a side note, my Alma Mater (Arizona) matched their win total of last year. They had nowhere to go but up. The were either last in the country or very close to it in every offensive category last year. So the talking heads said, they have 50 new kids in the program. Gives new meaning to the term "rebuilding". We will see.

That was certainly a nail-biter!!!:LOL:
(remember, this is smack-talk)
Well the AL game against Texas was a much better game. :thumbs:
I love to hear the announcer when they lose it and spill their prejudice.
You could tell he was a Texas fan when he screamed:
"It's a safety! It's a safety!:woo hoo:" when TX took the lead.:LOL:
Good game, much better than the Tide clobbering some junior-college :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Whew, a one point squeaker. Bama looked really bad except for a few brief moments. I really didn't think they'd pull it out.

Saban was so p#$% he could barely talk after the game. I'm tempted to drive by the practice field Monday afternoon. I'll bet I could hear the yelling and groans from Checkers hamburgers on 15th street. 😁

I wouldn't want to be on that practice field...

AK won over SC, Vandy got beat, both expected. Mizzu? What happened there? didn't see any of the game. Tn isn't looking great either, must be a bad week for most of the sec.

I didn't see the Missouri game either; just the score. They got smoked. We knew it was going to be a tough game, but I thought they would make a better showing.

Saban must have been beside himself. Was Texas even ranked? At least it was a "W". Maybe they got their wakeup call early.

I just finished watching the Tn game with Pitt. I recorded it so I could watch from the start. Nail biter till the end. Glad we pulled it out.
Surprised to see the Bama score. What happened to A&M and notre dame? Glad they both got beat by tiny schools that made big money to play in them.
Ky looking good against Fl tonight.

App State beat Tx AM? That's just embarrasing.

TN pulled out an OT win against Pitt. LSU beat the carp out of cental ak. Ole Ms is currently beating someone... 38-zip.

The FL KY game is pretty good, best game all day.

Last edited:
Appy state is a small school. But one of my all time favorite games was between them and Michigan..IN THE BIG HOUSE for opening game several years ago. My nephew (HUGE MI FAN) was down visiting and had been running off about MI gonna kill Appy state. By the end of the 3rd quarter he was layed out on the couch with his head covered. He couldn't even watch any more. :ghostly: :ghostly:

Side note on that game, there is a great steak house called The Peddler in Boone NC. We stopped there for dinner years later and right behind the cashier station was a HUGE picture of The Big House during that game with the final score in BIG numbers. We took and picture and sent it to the nephew. I think he's still mad about that to this day.:dancing::dancing:

Marshall beating notre dame is pretty much the same thing

I just finished watching the Tn game with Pitt. I recorded it so I could watch from the start. Nail biter till the end. Glad we pulled it out.
Surprised to see the Bama score. What happened to A&M and notre dame? Glad they both got beat by tiny schools that made big money to play in them.
Ky looking good against Fl tonight.
Watched the A&M game :( . Stepdaughter is an alumni.
Watching the Ragin Cajuns game, still tied up. DW is an alumni.

I was happy to see Ky beat Fl, cheered for them. I'm glad they have a very good coach, starting to make some noise in the sec. I'm glad he now has more wins than Bear Bryant at kentucky. Had to happen sooner or later. (folks there probably wished for sooner)

But! the game announcers blew the Bear connection and the game win all out of perspective. They were ready to ship him a hounds tooth hat.

Not so fast! (best Lee Corso voice). The number of games tell the story.

Bear at Ky :
Record: 60-23-6.
60 wins in 89 games*
SEC record: 22-19-4

Stoops at Ky :
Record: 61-53
61 wins in 114 games*
SEC record: 30-45 (and he's still behind in the sec)

Perspective...

Tennessee dodged a bullet. Very good win for them over a ranked opponent after playing a very sloppy second half.

Appalachian State is getting the reputation of "Giant Killer". Not the first time they have beaten a ranked D1 opponent.

Kentucky is improving, and should not be taken lightly. Stoops may have broken Bear's record, but 61 wins in 10 years is just a little over .500. Not that impressive.

Bama must be reading their own press about how good they are. I too wouldn't want to be on that practice field this week.

Vandy lost to a ranked opponent and not by a bad margin. They must be better.

Mississippi State beat my alma mater, Arizona. I was not surprised, but I will have to get the analysis from my brother.

Notre Dame was apparently highly overrated.

Not sure what happened to Missouri. Back to the drawing board for them.

Latest posts

Back