Combs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
Can anyone tell me what this is on my roo's comb? He doesn't act sick.
20180428_110028.jpg
20180428_110013.jpg

I’ve thought that, too, Peanut. I have had it in my little flock. It went away without intervention.
It’s viral so antibiotics won’t work .

If its the pox then there is an ointment you can put on it. I can't remember the name but if you call your county vet or extension agent they can probably tell you. It was found on several birds at the Southern New Mexico state fair last year.

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/how-to-easily-diagnose-and-treat-fowl-pox/

Medicating the FP-Infected Flock

Fowl Pox is a virus and cannot be treated with any antibiotics (which are all designed to fight bacteria not viruses); however, secondary infections are common with FP. For the dry form, triple antibiotic ointments and creams can be priceless in treating the external sores. Dotting troublesome sores with an iodine-soaked cotton bud can penetrate deep into the core of these sores, fighting bacteria and sterilizing in areas other than those around the eyes. Regular triple-antibiotic ointment can be used even in the corners of the eyes and mouth as long as the ointment does not contain pain-killers.

In the case of wet-pox, it is rarely necessary or effective to treat with a systemic antibiotic as the respiratory problems are caused by lesions that are viral in nature. If severe respiratory distress happens, a veterinarian should be consulted. In the meantime, products like VetRx can help soothe the irritated airways and help birds to breathe and feel somewhat better.

It doesn't look like the pox pictures. To me it looks more like a fungus.

Pox pictures.
15249526500811551113577.png

This would be my guess.
RINGWORM (FAVUS)
You’ve probably heard of (or had) ringworm, a fungal infection of the skin that people and pets can catch from each other. Chickens can also get ringworm and share the fungus with their flock keepers. (Here’s a tip for word game players: Favus is the name for ringworm when it affects poultry.)

Ringworm usually appears as white scaly or crusty patches on the comb and the skin of the head and neck. The chicken may lose its feathers, typically starting at the base of the comb and progressing down the back of the neck. Other than the skin problem, affected chickens are usually healthy. The infection is contagious and spreads from bird to bird, and rarely, bird to human.

Any practicing veterinarian can do a skin scraping and fungal culture on a chicken to diagnose ringworm, the same way the fungal infection is diagnosed in other animals. If you have a chicken with favus, isolate it from the rest of the flock to prevent spreading the infection. People should wear gloves and wash their hands after handling the affected birds.

Rubbing the affected areas daily with athlete’s foot ointment, or swabbing the spots with 2 percent iodine solution every other day should do the trick after about two weeks of treatment. Both medicines are available at any pharmacy. Ringworm fungus hates sunshine, so getting birds out of a dark shed and into the sunlight often cures favus without medicine.

Latest posts

Back