Comforters for little ones

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Remember how we used crib bumpers, comforters, etc etc for babies and tots? Winter coats when they’re buckled in their car seats? All of that jazz is over with due to safety concerns.
Well, eventually they can have a blanket in their cribs and beds and I’ve got some fabric to put together comforters for them.
It also seems like a lot of the people that sew aren’t on the forum much anymore.
I’ve got 100% cotton batting for using in between 100% cotton front and back outer layers. I’ve washed the fabric but the batting not yet.

My question is will the batting shrink much if I go ahead and make the comforters, putting it in between the fabric layers, or should I wash the batting separately and before sewing it together?

Remember how we used crib bumpers, comforters, etc etc for babies and tots? Winter coats when they’re buckled in their car seats? All of that jazz is over with due to safety concerns.
Well, eventually they can have a blanket in their cribs and beds and I’ve got some fabric to put together comforters for them.
It also seems like a lot of the people that sew aren’t on the forum much anymore.
I’ve got 100% cotton batting for using in between 100% cotton front and back outer layers. I’ve washed the fabric but the batting not yet.

My question is will the batting shrink much if I go ahead and make the comforters, putting it in between the fabric layers, or should I wash the batting separately and before sewing it together?
You are doing it correctly. The 100% batting once quilted should be quilted within 4" - meaning you shouldn't have greater than 4" open/unquilted areas. Some folks get away with 6" if it's more of a decor quilt. With a little one, I would think it safe to assume that it will get washed every so often. Even the all cotton battings now are formed in such a way that the shrinking is minimal (like really minimal if anything). Have fun! 😍

I concur with Lady Locust.
I normally do 3-3.5 inches, but 4 inches is good too.

@MoBookworm1957 thank you!! So glad you’re here!
@LadyLocust thank you for helping me out. I keep telling myself, “Four straight lines, some backstitching. How hard could it be?” 😂 Yeah. No. 😒

Don’t wanna fill it with stitches of bad attitude so waiting a few days.
Understandable on negative attitude.
Hopefully I will be back more often in the near future.

Latest posts

Back