Common grammatical errors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one mistake that I make on purpose. I never capitalize the word muslim. My new plan is to always make it a smaller font. That has to do with how I do not like it.
I do the same thing. I also referred to the previous president as barry for the same reason.

Another common mistake I have noticed is brought and bought @Weedygarden . I brought the washing in and I bought a loaf of bread from the shop.

My mother was a secretary and was a stickler for spelling and my father was really bad at spelling and grammar. To stir my mother he used to say I am tyred and spell it that way to annoy her and she would bite every time.

My father being English used to say, "I will rule a line with my rule" and I would say" I am ruling a line with the aid of my ruler". He would say it a ruler rules a country. Both terms are incidentally correct but as I have pointed out culturally there are differences in the ways things are both said and spoken.

Where I live most folks don't even use verbs in a sentence. You good? We good! My mom was an English teacher. We weren't even allowed to say --aint.

I think they finally put that in the dictionary?

Besides as slow as some of us southerner's talk you may be glad we shorten some of our words.

I had a teacher in 3 nd grade that talked slow as molasses. " yeear commees judy dragggging in abouut Chrismmus Timmmeeee" Here comes Judy dragging in about Christmas time. Just think she taught us English.

Oh, I hate it when people say, "Able to sit up and take nourishment". Sounds like you're on your deathbed or something.
Then you'll really hate my response, "Sober, but otherwise I'm alright."

Reading these posts and I am thinking , darn I must really be driving these folks to drink or something. Between my numerous typo's and missed / left out words and then you add in my grammar an you have the perfect written storm. Well at least I am perfect at something. :ghostly:

Here's my rant - I can't stand text-typing. Spell the darn word correctly. Fourteen year old Granddaughter emailed me with text-typed words and I sent it right back to her asking her to to spell out the words and to use complete sentences with subjects and verbs. I explained why it was important to have written skills. I told her if she didn't feel she could spell correctly or write proper sentence syntax, then just call me on the phone.

She sent the email back to me as I requested. I hate this dumbing down of America. I hate it even more we're accepting it.

Here's my rant - I can't stand text-typing. Spell the darn word correctly. Fourteen year old Granddaughter emailed me with text-typed words and I sent it right back to her asking her to to spell out the words and to use complete sentences with subjects and verbs. I explained why it was important to have written skills. I told her if she didn't feel she could spell correctly or write proper sentence syntax, then just call me on the phone.

She sent the email back to me as I requested. I hate this dumbing down of America. I hate it even more we're accepting it.

I have to agree completely. I don't allow my sons or grand kids to use Internet shorthand with me. It does help I don't do text on the phone either. Phones are for conversations, word processors (computers, tablets, laptops, etc. ) are for text. Yeah, I am an old f**t. Such is life, sue me.

To the best of my knowledge I have I one semi auto weapon that takes a clip, it's a M1 Garand. Everything else takes a magazine :)

I have one that takes a clip. An old Mouser. I've shown my sister and BIL the 2 side by side and they still say that they are the same thing.:rolleyes:

"boughten" is not a word
"I am well, thank you." Not: "I am well thank you."
It annoys me too. This is a hair splitting thread.
"Ain't" actually gets an apostrophe.
Lymes disease, or limes disease. It is only Lyme disease, from the name of the town Old Lyme where folks were developing Lyme Arthritis which was actually Lyme disease. It is in Connecticut.

I ALWAYS hear people say, when asked "how are you?".

My usual response is "Doin' fair for a poor man"

Between my numerous typo's and missed / left out words :ghostly:

My all time favorite is...

Fun 007.jpg

Latest posts

Back