Compost Tea Or Plant Tea...anyone use make them to use

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not even sure if that is what it is called, plant tea, 🤦🏻‍♀️
i seen this webpage.https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/the-best-compost-tea-recipe-to-help-your-plants-thrive/
I thought you just put some chicken manure in a bucket with water, let it sit and call it a day.
then someone told me they take their trimmings from tomato plants and such soak them in water and use that as a tea. Never heard of this one. Then when I found the above website it suggests worm castings, kelp, etc. Anyone have any tried and true recipes?

Not even sure if that is what it is called, plant tea, 🤦🏻‍♀️
i seen this webpage.https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/the-best-compost-tea-recipe-to-help-your-plants-thrive/
I thought you just put some chicken manure in a bucket with water, let it sit and call it a day.
then someone told me they take their trimmings from tomato plants and such soak them in water and use that as a tea. Never heard of this one. Then when I found the above website it suggests worm castings, kelp, etc. Anyone have any tried and true recipes?

You don't want to put chicken manure in a bucket with water, that would be salmonella, going into plants. Chicken manure needs to sit for a year, before using, or heated in compost till cured. Joel put up a link on compost tea, for you I see, so I want go into making compost tea. 👍

A nasty smelling tea out of comfrey leaves is a good one, they say.
I got this article from www.tenthacrefarm.com

"Out of all the comfrey uses list here, this method takes a bit of extra time and planning. However, its effectiveness is noticeable very soon after application.

Comfrey compost tea can help overall growth, and encourage better flowering as well as more vigorous growth in perennials and mature fruiting vegetable plants (i.e., tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers). Do not use comfrey compost tea on young plants.

To make a strong comfrey compost tea: Fill any size container halfway with fresh comfrey cuttings. Fill with water, cover, and steep for 3-6 weeks. Warning: This will smell really bad! Strain off the liquid and dilute by half. Or if using a hose end sprayer, no need to pre-dilute.

To make a weaker (less smelly) comfrey compost tea: Add one gallon of water for every quart of fresh comfrey cuttings. Let sit for three days, stirring daily, then strain and use full strength.

For a quicker comfrey compost tea: Measure one quart of water for every ounce of dried comfrey. Boil the water and pour over the dried comfrey. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then cover and steep for 4 hours. Strain, then dilute with 1 gallon of water unless using the hose end sprayer.

Be sure to compost the leftover plant solids."

I agree, Patchouli.
Warning, there are more than one Comfrey, the wild variety will seed & take your place. It is agood plant, but make sure you buy a stirile plant. I know ( on line) a york,UK. gardener who sears by comfrey for compost tea.

Last edited:
A nasty smelling tea out of comfrey leaves is a good one, they say.
I got this article from www.tenthacrefarm.com

"Out of all the comfrey uses list here, this method takes a bit of extra time and planning. However, its effectiveness is noticeable very soon after application.

Comfrey compost tea can help overall growth, and encourage better flowering as well as more vigorous growth in perennials and mature fruiting vegetable plants (i.e., tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers). Do not use comfrey compost tea on young plants.

To make a strong comfrey compost tea: Fill any size container halfway with fresh comfrey cuttings. Fill with water, cover, and steep for 3-6 weeks. Warning: This will smell really bad! Strain off the liquid and dilute by half. Or if using a hose end sprayer, no need to pre-dilute.

To make a weaker (less smelly) comfrey compost tea: Add one gallon of water for every quart of fresh comfrey cuttings. Let sit for three days, stirring daily, then strain and use full strength.

For a quicker comfrey compost tea: Measure one quart of water for every ounce of dried comfrey. Boil the water and pour over the dried comfrey. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then cover and steep for 4 hours. Strain, then dilute with 1 gallon of water unless using the hose end sprayer.

Be sure to compost the leftover plant solids."

Sounds like a good one Patch.

Glad I asked this question. I did not know about the chicken manure and salmonella nor did I know about different varieties of comfrey. I am going to find a sterile variety.
joel, you are saying, you add your compost from lat years cleaning out the chicken coop. That is good enough for you?
i have garden for a good many years. Never did the tea, but thought it was interesting.

I have used horse, cow, pig, chicken, rabbit manure in my garden, all was aged at least 3 months.
It is best to put aged manure down, but it you only garden in the spring,summer & fall, then put the manure down after fall garden is over & let it rot all winter. It will be safe to plant by spring & no need to compost it, even if you do a no till garden.
However a little browns/hay or leaf mulch will help hold the manure in place all winter. Earthworm in vermicomposting is the best & safe way to make compost tea.
https://www.redwormcomposting.com/

Reactions: Neb
Joel, I do put aged manure down after the garden is over. But I was thinking more during the growing season for a boost?

I have used horse, cow, pig, chicken, rabbit manure in my garden, all was aged at least 3 months.
It is best to put aged manure down, but it you only garden in the spring,summer & fall, then put the manure down after fall garden is over & let it rot all winter. It will be safe to plant by spring & no need to compost it, even if you do a no till garden.
. Earthworm in vermicomposting is the best & safe way to make compost tea.
Dang! I got all of my stuff out to make myself a pot of tea, but y'alls recipe doesn't sound very tasty :(.
Maybe that Lipton stuff ain't that bad after all:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back