Composting Hints

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am sure this is nothing new for most folks but I ran into a ton of old canned goods from a neighbor who is no longer going to can. He was cleaning out the pantry and had a lot of stuff that was dated between 8 and 9 years ago. We are taking it for the jars and some of it is only a year old so still very usable.
I have been trying to find a good use for the out dated items. I did some looking and found out I could compost anything I didn't trust as good. So, I am going to be adding a lot of it to the compost bin. Tomorrow I will separate the compost in the compost bin so I can bury the canned veggies in the middle of it. That should add some great nutrients to the pile and I'll be using someone else's good yield to help my gardens produce new food for us.

We are "throwing" away the food that has turned color or is otherwise unappealing. Some of it has food above the "water line" and has turned brown. If we needed the extra food I might be tempted to save more but it is just the two of us and we have canned goods from a few years ago as it is. We grow it faster than we consume it. We are learning to watch how much we plant so we don't waste any of it.

I am sure this is nothing new for most folks but I ran into a ton of old canned goods from a neighbor who is no longer going to can. He was cleaning out the pantry and had a lot of stuff that was dated between 8 and 9 years ago. We are taking it for the jars and some of it is only a year old so still very usable.
I have been trying to find a good use for the out dated items. I did some looking and found out I could compost anything I didn't trust as good. So, I am going to be adding a lot of it to the compost bin. Tomorrow I will separate the compost in the compost bin so I can bury the canned veggies in the middle of it. That should add some great nutrients to the pile and I'll be using someone else's good yield to help my gardens produce new food for us.
I am curious how this turned out for you?

Latest posts

Back