Computer Database

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found this website How to create your own database on Linux, Windows, macOS, its a simple database (DB) that does not require extensive knowledge on how to run it, This DB is called Symphytum, you can find it here, giowck/symphytum. According to GitHub "Symphytum is a personal database software for everyone who desires to manage and organize data in an easy and intuitive way, without having to study complex database languages and software user interfaces."

You can download it for Linux, macOS and windows, For windows anyways, its a fairly small program of 46mb of data to down load. I found this YouTube video on it.

I do have a question about this software, I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to help make a Database of Healing plants and the like and save it to say google drive for the rest of us to have the ability to access the DB, or if @Angie is willing to have it stored on this server ( more security and reliable ) for us to access and to update this DB. Its something i was thinking about for a while.

Here is a screen shot of when you first open up the program of the potential of what it can do, this is what I was thinking of, we can add more fields to it as needed to suit our needs.
Screenshot (3).png

An file containing info on medicinal plants would be great! Symphytum might be fine to get started, but only if it can export your data (including images) to a file that can be imported by Excel or other databases.

A brief glance online shows a ton of medicinal plant "databases" out there, but they appear to be web-based, not something you can store locally which is what you would want. There's probably stuff out there to get you started you could import to Symphytum, then augment with pictures, regions where the plant grows, etc. but I couldn't locate one in the short time just now before work.

dademoss and bkt, if you watch the video, it shows that is can be uploaded to a spreadsheet but not the actual picture, not to sure if that would be good enough for you.

So ill keep looking to see if i can find a suitable database that can upload all info, including pictures.

I do believe that this site needs to have its own medicinal plant database, this way we can control the contents of it, maybe have it set up so in order to access it, have it pass worded protected. Just a thought is all.

I seem to be confused here. What, exactly, is the desired outcome? I mean spreadsheets typically do not include images and such. A "database" can be a simple container of information and such but seems to be a bit broad. There are addons to this type of forum software that could manage this type of thing but not likely something that could be modified for spreadsheets. I can provide access to this type if needed / wanted to test. I use the same software as here so it could be gotten easily. Just spit-balling ideas.

My idea is take a program like Symphytum (or something similar), so when we find a new plant to add to database, we can add it, but as we do, it will automatically add it to a centralized place on this forum. This way, we all can benefit from this.

Is it just me, or there just doesn't seem to be any interest in this? If so thats ok, its not for everyone.

Is it just me, or there just doesn't seem to be any interest in this? If so thats ok, its not for everyone.

Flight, take a peek at...

https://xenforo.com/solutions/#xfrm
specifically

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/
It might take modifications to make it exactly as desired but seems closest. Some mentioned spreadsheets and such so not sure how that might be done. There might be a better way but that is supported by this forum software. I’m sure there might be better options just not sure what. I suppose a list of specifics might help.

After reading further it seems the program does a bit more than I first thought. I’m gonna throw a copy on a server to see if I can make it do anything.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea. But I have no clue about how that would work for a forum and have no say in the matter

I do want your say, how do you think it should work, feel, possibly look. I want everyone's input in this so that we can make is our plant database specific to this forums needs.

Flight, take a peek at...

https://xenforo.com/solutions/#xfrm
specifically

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/
It might take modifications to make it exactly as desired but seems closest. Some mentioned spreadsheets and such so not sure how that might be done. There might be a better way but that is supported by this forum software. I’m sure there might be better options just not sure what. I suppose a list of specifics might help.

After reading further it seems the program does a bit more than I first thought. I’m gonna throw a copy on a server to see if I can make it do anything.
Wow, there is a lot of different things that it can do, I'm going through it now, nothing really pops up, but ill admit, I'm only on page 5 now lol

I personally don't have need for a database of healing plants. But as a software engineer and Linux/Unix sysadmin involved in networks, security and infrastructure (before I retired), I would recommend that you do not base your design on some new, unheard of, database software that is designed and maintained by a single guy. If your dreams are to host this on the forum server, be aware that the sysadmin probably would (and should) say "No, no, no. Hell no!"

There is a big difference between software you might run on your local PC for your exclusive use, and multi-user internet-facing software. Scalability, security, minimizing resource requirements, redundancy ... chances are none of these requirements have been adequately addressed in this database-lite software you are considering using.

My recommendation: Stick with a standard database that is in wide use and well supported. There are plenty of front-ends that can make it look pretty. Plus, you probably don't want something that users have to "install". You want web-based access for a project like this. And if it will be internet-facing, be sure to get someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in that area to set it up.

@Guardian I found this web site https://mementodatabase.com/ , this is kind of what I'm thinking of, from what I can see, is it only has a app for Android and the pc. Also, to have the Pro version, its $6/month.

So I'm not sure if its a viable option, my question, is were is this database stored, I have not gotten that far into this one.

I personally don't have need for a database of healing plants. But as a software engineer and Linux/Unix sysadmin involved in networks, security and infrastructure (before I retired), I would recommend that you do not base your design on some new, unheard of, database software that is designed and maintained by a single guy. If your dreams are to host this on the forum server, be aware that the sysadmin probably would (and should) say "No, no, no. Hell no!"

There is a big difference between software you might run on your local PC for your exclusive use, and multi-user internet-facing software. Scalability, security, minimizing resource requirements, redundancy ... chances are none of these requirements have been adequately addressed in this database-lite software you are considering using.

My recommendation: Stick with a standard database that is in wide use and well supported. There are plenty of front-ends that can make it look pretty. Plus, you probably don't want something that users have to "install". You want web-based access for a project like this. And if it will be internet-facing, be sure to get someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in that area to set it up.

As you said, this is also something to consider for the sys admin, I don't have any knowledge on server side of computers, this is only an idea that I'm throwing out there to see if its a viable option ( I hope it is lol).

Ps, I envy you on your being a software engineer.

Yes, this is true and in other concerns it seems archived and no longer being developed.

@Guardian I found this web site https://mementodatabase.com/ , this is kind of what I'm thinking of, from what I can see, is it only has a app for Android and the pc. Also, to have the Pro version, its $6/month.

So I'm not sure if its a viable option, my question, is were is this database stored, I have not gotten that far into this one.

Looking at the site there seems to be a few options.

One is;

Memento Cloud

"We use Google's server-side encryption feature with Google-managed encryption keys to encrypt all data at rest using AES-256, transparently and automatically."

This seems to be cloud based.

Another option;

Private Server

If you work with sensitive information that should be stored only on your servers then we have a self-hosted solution - Memento Private Server.

A self hosted option it would seem. I've no idea at this point regarding what it can or cannot do but I will poke around with it to see what I can see and what is and is not supported.

More to follow.

Yes, this is true and in other concerns it seems archived and no longer being developed.

Looking at the site there seems to be a few options.

One is;

Memento Cloud

"We use Google's server-side encryption feature with Google-managed encryption keys to encrypt all data at rest using AES-256, transparently and automatically."

This seems to be cloud based.

Another option;

Private Server

If you work with sensitive information that should be stored only on your servers then we have a self-hosted solution - Memento Private Server.

A self hosted option it would seem. I've no idea at this point regarding what it can or cannot do but I will poke around with it to see what I can see and what is and is not supported.

More to follow.
Ok thanks, hopefully it will work for our needs, if not, let me know and ill keep looking.

I will reveal how out of date I am, We used to use Dbase for this sort of thing back in the late 70's and early 80's and a bit later I wrote a custom database for my reloading and ballistics program. Dbase was normally attached to BBS sights and internet sites at Universities.

Latest posts

Back