Confession time......

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ok, confession time... I managed to shoot myself in the foot (top dead center) with my new Gamo .22 Swarm. Cocked it assumed the safety was on, carried it outside with the barrel pointed down. Stumbled a little on the step, and guess what, the "automatic safety" wasn't so "automatic." Pop, instant pain in foot. Trip to the ER, surgery on the foot...small hole going in, but tore up the inside pretty good (Super-HP pellet). They cleaned it all out, packed it with antibiotics and loaded me up on hydrocodone 10's for pain. Doc gave me a crutch and said stay off of the foot for 7 - 10 days. Looks like a mummy's foot now, all wrapped up. NEVER "assume" the safety is on. And I can personally attest being shot in the foot HURTS!!!! As a certain Lizard suggested, maybe my new knickname should be Hop-A-Long......or maybe "dumbazz" for not making sure the safety was on, automatic or not. Don't try this at home, kiddies, it is guaranteed to HURT!!! :cry:

Ow. While it has not happened to me ... yet... it has happened to friends. I have distant cousins no, one of whom convinced the other that if he held his hand tight across the end of the barrel of a .22 the resultant air pressure would stop the round. Wonder of wonders he now has a scar in the Center of the palm of his hand.

What's the old sayin' "There but for the grace of God go I". It happened to me as a teenager, a double barreled 16 gauge loaded with buckshot, stumbled on a vine in the woods. Took off the tip of my boot but thankfully I still have all my toes. ;)

Hope you get well soon! :)

What's the old sayin' "There but for the grace of God go I". It happened to me as a teenager, a double barreled 16 gauge loaded with buckshot, stumbled on a vine in the woods. Took off the tip of my boot but thankfully I still have all my toes. ;)

Hope you get well soon! :)
I have had rounds whistle by my ear sent by “sound”hunters ... you know “I heard something” then shoot ... scary stuff. So far I have managed to avoid shooting or nearly shoot myself. Glad you still got toes.

I think it was a good thing that it happened to me as a teen. Since then I do every thing by the numbers with any weapon. The military only reinforced that. Even now I know the condition of any weapon I handle. I'm old now, might make a mistake but I still go by the numbers... check list.

I hope you're back up and around soon, Venom.

At least this didn't happen to you.

Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.

Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are being treated at Baptist Medical Center.

The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole’s pickup truck’s headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that
the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.

“Thank God we weren’t on that bridge when Thurston shot his nuts off or we might have been dead,” stated Wallis.
In the grand scheme of things, your accident could have been worse. Just sayin'.

Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.

Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are being treated at Baptist Medical Center.

The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole’s pickup truck’s headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that
the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.

“Thank God we weren’t on that bridge when Thurston shot his nuts off or we might have been dead,” stated Wallis.
In the grand scheme of things, your accident could have been worse. Just sayin'.

I feel much better now, knowing there is at least one person dumber than I am!! I'll take the foot injury....better that than, well, you know!! :ghostly:

Pain Alert !

Attack on feet week

upload_2018-6-5_7-18-32.png

Hashbrown discombobulated his foot last week , result= totally black , swollen foot= pain
This week Venom J shoots a hole through his foot, result= ER, hole in foot =pain
Last week I stumped my toes on the bathroom scale, result =3 black toes , limping 3 days=pain

Stay in bed , until this alert is lifted.
Failure to comply could result in serious limping .

Jim

I have 3 childhood friends I stay in contact with, one weekly.
One of them son came back from hunting trip and went down into basement with his rifle tripped on stairs and it killed him. This was about 30 years ago she still lives in the house.
he was an avid hunter and knew all about guns.
Yall be careful gun accidents happen quite often.

... distant cousins no, one of whom convinced the other that if he held his hand tight across the end of the barrel of a .22 the resultant air pressure would stop the round. ...

Well I ain't that dumb!

Dad had given me a spring powered BB rifle and I had to buy my own BBs. I'd guess I was ten years old. Winter time so I was target practicing in the basement. My older sister was crawling on the floor with me recovering BBs to reuse. Now keep in mind this is the sister that would stand on my feet so I couldn't run away while she's punching me in my stomach. I was wondering if a BB could penetrate my skin and how much it would hurt to find out? Looking under a chair for BBs I saw my sisters thigh...:rolleyes:

No. A BB from a spring powered rifle like mine held a foot or so from skin doesn't penetrate the skin. Does leave a huge welt. And a lot of convincing to convince the party that is howling and crying that it was an "accident".

they might be distant cousins of mine... don’t know but sure sound like some of them.

Latest posts

Back