Confessions of a killer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7996.JPG
This works well. You could make them easily enough but I got mine at Amazon. It has a magnet and a screw adjustment so you can control the trigger weight. the water is required so that the mouse can't jump back out, and the little ***** can jump. Also they drown so we just dump them outside and put fresh water in the bucket.

View attachment 56786This works well. You could make them easily enough but I got mine at Amazon. It has a magnet and a screw adjustment so you can control the trigger weight. the water is required so that the mouse can't jump back out, and the little ***** can jump. Also they drown so we just dump them outside and put fresh water in the bucket.
We’ve done these and a rod with a pipe over it that spins when they walk on it and get trapped in the bucket. Both were pretty effective in the chicken coop and the chickens didn’t bother the traps.

In retrospect, the new fangled mouse trap was built for a mouse and not a shrew. I did find my older mouse trap with a metal paddle more like this than the one I posted on the previous page with the big plastic paddle. Playing with it today, it would activate the trap much easier than the plastic one. The shrew took advantage of this and got a good dozen plus free meals. I will be getting some peanut butter, and the next time I will use the old trap and some peanut butter.

All said and done, it was a interesting little diversion and the little bugger made a game of it. More so than Ohio State gave Bama, but that’s for a different thread. Oh no, there I go again. 😊

1610518351039.jpeg

Yes but the smell of a rotting mouse can be hard to locate.

The Princess purchased an electric mouse trap that electrocuted them. That worked to about $25/mouse.

I purchased a gross of old school snap traps. I'm still reusing my first dozen or so. Some of them have nailed 15 or so critters. I purchased a bunch thinking they would be a good barter item.

Willing to trade a good mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door.

I use maple syrup to get the trigger sticky and then smash whatever treat I have around onto the trigger. Chocolate chip cookies have worked well but chocolate brownies are performing rather well with only having to bait the trap once and scored 3 mice.

My mice are looking for 2 things. Food and water. The Princess has so much of the house filled that catching them going for food is an exercise in futility. But water is only available at the kitchen sink.

So I generally have at least one trap set in the corner behind the sink. I also habitually scan the surrounding counter for mouse-signs.

In our house I make claim to the title "Great White Mouse Hunter". I nabbed 15 one year. This year only 3 so far.

I recently quipped to The Princess that I should start collecting heads and hot gluing them to a wall mount. She was not pleased.

I don't tend toward killing things but mice and hornets/yellow jackets that threaten me and mine that is another story.

On that note let me share this video have watched repeatedly.

Revenge of the Electric Weenie.

Ben

Hubby used rat poison ONCE!Thats all it took to never use it again. It took us months to get rid of the smell.That smell is horrible.

There are probably a bazillion more shrews out in the woods. I don't think one will be missed. Did the raven send you a thank you note?

We have been spared the small critters, but recently we did have to evict a raccoon who had gotten very comfortable living in the attic. Actually I don't think it was the attic. I was the crawl space between the first and second floor. We had it done professionally.

Yes but the smell of a rotting mouse can be hard to locate.

The Princess purchased an electric mouse trap that electrocuted them. That worked to about $25/mouse.

I purchased a gross of old school snap traps. I'm still reusing my first dozen or so. Some of them have nailed 15 or so critters. I purchased a bunch thinking they would be a good barter item.

Willing to trade a good mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door.

I use maple syrup to get the trigger sticky and then smash whatever treat I have around onto the trigger. Chocolate chip cookies have worked well but chocolate brownies are performing rather well with only having to bait the trap once and scored 3 mice.

My mice are looking for 2 things. Food and water. The Princess has so much of the house filled that catching them going for food is an exercise in futility. But water is only available at the kitchen sink.

So I generally have at least one trap set in the corner behind the sink. I also habitually scan the surrounding counter for mouse-signs.

In our house I make claim to the title "Great White Mouse Hunter". I nabbed 15 one year. This year only 3 so far.

I recently quipped to The Princess that I should start collecting heads and hot gluing them to a wall mount. She was not pleased.

I don't tend toward killing things but mice and hornets/yellow jackets that threaten me and mine that is another story.

On that note let me share this video have watched repeatedly.

Revenge of the Electric Weenie.

Ben

That video is awesome. I use dawn and water in a spray bottle but I like there idea better.

Oh that's true. I've had a rotting one in the wall before and had to remove drywall to get at it. No fun.

Dang sounds like you have an all you can eat buffet were those little things are spreading the news. Lol.

Yup nothing beats the cheap old traps. I learned why they like peanut butter is because of the high fat content. Any food with lots of fat they will like. Man cookies and brownies would probably capture me if I'm hungry scavenging lolol.

I guess this best fits in the trapping section out of respect for a little shrew that bested me all weekend.

He was a crafty, sneaky little shrew that bested me all weekend. This little Alaskan shrew was about half the size of your typical mouse. He first showed up last Thursday and the wife asked me to put out the sonic devices that typically drive them out of the house. No need to kill it if we can encourage him outdoors. I told the wife I will give him until Friday to find a new home. I thought he was gone, but the little bugger showed himself Saturday morning.

I set out 4 traps with cheese before we went out for our chores. We expected to find the guy squashed in one of the traps, but he stole the bait from all four. No problem, so this time I did a better job of placing several bits of cheese in several locations around and under the paddles. This was the last of our sliced cheese, so I did this very strategically and carefully on the four traps. We set them out and headed back outside for the afternoon chores. When we came back in that evening and same thing when we came back. I’ve been had. He was getting fat on my accord stealing all my bait.

Typically peanut butter is the bait of choice, since it sticks to the pedal, but we don’t eat it typically so that wasn’t a choice. I repeated the prices this time using ham, sticking it carefully through the holes in the paddle, and set them out before heading to bed. In the morning, same thing. I knew I was now dealing with a special shrew. He was a real pro. I asked the wife to thing of something that sticks, and she thought honey. So we applied that and went out Sunday for our chores. When we came in for lunch, nothing he didn’t touch any of it.

We knew he loved cheese, so I took some more ham and used tape to tap the ham to the pedal with a little bit of ham hanging out from the edges. That did the trick, but the little bugger managed to eat the edges of the ham off of one of the traps before meeting his demise. I actually felt bad for the little bugger because he was such a crafty little devil. I didn’t want to waste such a special critter, so I put his body on a pedestal outside the window and a raven was the benefactor of this smart little guy. I don‘t know how much you know about ravens but they are smarter than most humans. With the raven feasting on this special shrew, I m@y have just created a new monster.

I have nothing but respect for the little shrew who bested me for about half a week. I confess I did feel a little guilty for my deeds.

Here is to a really special shrew! 🐁. 🍺
Tip for mouse and rat traps. Wrap a cotton string (cooking string, mop string, etc.) around the trigger on the trap ( 3 or 4 wraps), and rub your bait into the string well. Rodents (mice, rats, voles, chipmunks, etc.) and shrews get there teeth hung on the string and trip the trap with there head at the right location. I prefer peanut butter for bait but have found for voles and shrews that the brains from a mouse or vole works really well as bait.

Hello all. Nice story man. I've got a a couple vole stories. My beautiful wife n me were sitting around the fire out at our cabin. This vole comes cruising down the trail from the tall grass to the corner of our cabin. There was a tussic there n he made a home in it. I set a peanut butter mouse trap out.
Little bugger tries to pull the whole trap down into his house. I grabbed the other end n had a tug of war with him. He wasn't going to let go. Biting in n scratching in. I won.
I do let one live under our generator shed. Actually I've tried trapping him for months. He won. Little bugger can lick honey off a trap n never trip it.
I figure that since I've never seen a mouse n voles prefer underground homes. He's cool

Hello all. Nice story man. I've got a a couple vole stories. My beautiful wife n me were sitting around the fire out at our cabin. This vole comes cruising down the trail from the tall grass to the corner of our cabin. There was a tussic there n he made a home in it. I set a peanut butter mouse trap out.
Little bugger tries to pull the whole trap down into his house. I grabbed the other end n had a tug of war with him. He wasn't going to let go. Biting in n scratching in. I won.
I do let one live under our generator shed. Actually I've tried trapping him for months. He won. Little bugger can lick honey off a trap n never trip it.
I figure that since I've never seen a mouse n voles prefer underground homes. He's cool

Its amazing how these fury little creatures are both cunning and adaptive. We had a marmot living under one of our outer cabins for a couple years but I haven't seen him in about a year, so something got him. It was fun to watch him scurry about and tease our dog.

By the way, this was the type of trap that did the shrew in. He defeated the one I posted above. And peanut butter didn't work. It was good old cheeze.

1624032792145.png

Last edited:
Ha! We had one back this morning. Darned thing stole the cheese 3 times before he temped fate one time too many. It was quick as those traps are pretty powerful.

The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese. ;)

The folks had a ermine get into their house. Mom and Dad finally chased it out the front door while their dachshund hid out on the bed. For two days I chastised the dog for not doing her job, the job she was bred for. The next time the ermine got inside the dog took care of it. I gave her a stuffed ermine dog toy to celebrate her victory. She loved it.

Last edited:
I have two mother cats with kittens.
we have nothing alive here that weighs under a pound.
You should have seen my Alpha bringing in a rabbit as big as she was,
it gave the mental image of a lioness dragging in a full-grown zebra!
Now if I can just convince her that my bed is NOT her dinner table! Ma wildcat got in here
with maybe a young raccoon or beaver and it looked like a murder scene on my clean comforter!

Back