Converting Small Engine Generator To Lp

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Longest we have been without power is three days. House temperature didn't get below 60 so I wasn't too concern. But the next time it might be in the dead of winter or SHTF.

Acquaintance fell on hard times (lost job and house) so I bought a cheap Chinese built generator from him. Took the generator to the local small engine repair shop for a going over. Repair Shop said it looked OK but warned me that repair parts would be nonexistent. Fine with me. Just wanted something that would work for a day or two a few times a years.

Bought more 5 gallon gasoline jugs for a total of 20 gallons. Generator used about 5 gallons if ran continuously for 24 hours so 20 gallons equaled four days. I kept the gas fresh by using it in the lawn mower. Winter time added Stabil. Goal was when one jug was empty refill it the next time I was in town, always keeping 15 gallons on hand. At times I would forget and I was on the last jug before remembering.

The the lawn mower wouldn't start. Seems the corn alcohol the Feds mandated had affected the rubber on the fuel line and carburetor.

Power went out and the Chinese Generator started right up on the second pull. I was wondering if the corn alcohol was going to ruin my generator when it backfired and died. Engine had seized.

So I scraped the Chinese generator and bought a brand named generator. Then I did a online search on how to convert it to LP. I understood LP will store forever.

Most LP conversions involved a 2" metal doughnut that you install between the air cleaner and the carburetor. LP is injected into the doughnut and is then sucked into the carb. Unfortunately installing the doughnut required making clearance by cutting away part of the corner metal support and then monkey rigging a replacement support. I didn't care for that at all.

Then I found another web search with a better answer (IMHO). Instead of the 2" doughnut that use a 1/4" rubber gasket with the LP injection point built into it. Ran my generator until it stalled from lack of gasoline. Turn off the gasoline valve at the bottom of the fuel tank. Installed the conversion kit ten minutes. Cranked the generator engine (new generator was electric start) while adjusted the LP flow until the engine started.

I had two 20 pound LP tanks from when I had a grill. Got two more for $15 at a garage sale. Looking for at least 4 more. Online I bought a automatic change over, when the first LP tank is empty it will switch over to the second tank. Now I don't have the problem of Fed gas running my engine, using all the gas for the mower and not remembering to get more gas! Plus I figure if TEOTWAWKI finding LP tanks will be a whole let more easy then getting gasoline out of ground storage tanks. At least that's my theory.

Conversion kit I used: http://uscarburetion.com/a-c_kits.htm

I have no financial interest in, nor does any family member of mine (close, distant or anywhere between) in the manufacture, dealership or resale of said product including girlfriends and wannabees.

Ah man, now you've started something. What's the difference between high and low pressure in kits? Are the 100# bottles high pressure?

Does this also mean they don't have to be started every month since I never remember.

Ah man, now you've started something. What's the difference between high and low pressure in kits? Are the 100# bottles high pressure?

Does this also mean they don't have to be started every month since I never remember.

I going my memory but don't worry it is still sharp as a ... sharp as a ... sharp as a...anyway the LP tanks are high pressure? Kit include a regulator to bring down to low pressure. They also included a vacuum think-a-bob that as the load changes on the generator's engine the flow of LP is automatically adjusted.

You don't have to exercise the engine because of the fuel. I'd still recommend it just to keep everything lubricated and keep the mice chased out.

I regretted having gotten the gas powered gennie. Never even thought that it could be converted. Seems you really do serve a useful purpose.

Same kit and company I used...
Works like a charm

lp.jpg
gas.jpg

Jim

Around here (Alberta Canada) older propane powered vehicles are often taken to recycling yards, local (and I would guess most)yard won't take the propane tanks unless the valves are removed. long story short these tanks often have a fair bit of propane left in them, if you do some research you may find a source of free propane and tanks.

If you get a new generator and convert it to propane, it will last just short of forever as compared to a gas one.
Propane doesn't create the carbon that wears out gas generators.
I used to have a propane genset that would operate the entire restaurant when town lost power.
I took it with me when I sold the place. It's like 30KW.
I could be my own power company, if I had neighbors.
Which I don't.

I had two 20 pound LP tanks from when I had a grill. Got two more for $15 at a garage sale. Looking for at least 4 more. Online I bought a automatic change over, when the first LP tank is empty it will switch over to the second tank.

Lazy L - Where did you find the automatic changeover kit?? I would love one for my setup.

@The Lazy L

Have you considered a vapor fuel carb for the generator?

If that is the one where you add a 2" doughnut between the air cleaner and carb then yes I considered it. I rejected it because I would have to cut and modify the generator's main support bracket to allow the doughnut to fit.

Back