Cook Stove Question (Pioneer Princess)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
we have a Pioneer Princess, bought it directly from the maker around 2008. They no longer deal with the public, they only sell them to dealers.
but, this pass winter the main door wont open. Cant turn the handle. You really cant see anything by looking into the firebox, looks like the mechanisms are inside. Any one have any ideas on how to get the door open?
we can still load wood from the top, but want to be able to open the door too.

Not familiar with Pioneer Princess but the mechanism should be similar to other stoves. Why is it not opening. Is the handle just not moving to undo the latch or is the door itself stuck – You can move the handle but the door is soldered shut?

If the handle will not move, it would seem it is buggered up on the inside. Look at the back of the door and check if a piece of wood is wedged in, preventing it from moving.

I have the same problem every few years, I have to hammer the handle with a chunk of wood till it opens. Then carefully use a knife or chisel to chip away the built-up creosote deposit. This needs to be done on "Both" parts of the latching mechanism.

Sorry it took so long for a reply.

the handle will not move. I have cleaned the stove for the year, so there is no wood blocking anything. The inside door has a solid plate over it so you cant see any mechanisms. I hate to hammer the handle, but I guess it already wont open, what else can I do??????

Latest posts

Back