Cooking everything in/on a coffee machine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've come across this Swedish lady that cooks most everything in or on the hot pad part of a coffee machine (similar to a Mr. Coffee). This has closed caption so you know what she's saying. It's fun to watch. But, may be useful in a dorm, small house, hotel room when you're sick of eating out. Or a tea party.

I've done that in hotels. Soups, stews, grilled cheese.... AFTER hubby had his coffee of course. His coffee has to come first or he's a big grumpy baby!
I may be related to your husband. . . :). Number 1 rule around here, don't talk to me until i have at least 1/2 a cup. I've done the Ramen noodles using the coffee pot, but I guess you could do basic dehydrated meals. I would have never thought about grilled cheese.

I may be related to your husband. . . :). Number 1 rule around here, don't talk to me until i have at least 1/2 a cup. I've done the Ramen noodles using the coffee pot, but I guess you could do basic dehydrated meals. I would have never thought about grilled cheese.

Just make sure the cheese doesn't ooze out of the bread. That's a awful mess to clean up.

Many years ago, someone wrote a cookbook for cooking in a hotel room with a coffee pot.

I have tried to do a little cooking in a coffee pot. The problem is that they don't really get very hot, so heating up a can of soup could take more than 1/2 hour. You probably need to start lunch as soon as you finish breakfast. Maybe having something that wraps around to help hold in the heat would help as well, done carefully so that you don't end up with a fire.

I've done that in hotels. Soups, stews, grilled cheese.... AFTER hubby had his coffee of course. His coffee has to come first or he's a big grumpy baby!
Coffee is a health food, of course it comes first!

Coffee is nasty!! Dr Pepper is soooo much better.
I am complete opposite :) ! As a teen I would drink Dr Pepper and even now if we are on the road and have to go thru a drive thru for a meal or when we go to our local M&D hardware store where they have free popcorn and a soda I'll grab a root beer. Other than that I don't drink sodas any more.

I love the smell of coffee when I wake up. It brings back memories of small cooking fire in the alpine forest. You get up start on a cup of coffee and do some fishing before (or for) breakfast. Cut-throat trout, pancakes and wild blue berries - with your second cup of coffee. That is the way you are supposed to live!

I drunk half & half when I was eight year old.
Half coffee & half milk at a truck stop, before starting work in the morning with a landscaper.
Dad said not to tell mom, because she believed it would stunt my growth, at 5'11", 200 pound she was wrong.
I have drink ice tea & coffee all my life, Dr.pepper okay,too.
I drink root beer more then any other soda, now.
Still drink tea & coffee, lots of water.

I love the smell of coffee when I wake up. It brings back memories of small cooking fire in the alpine forest. You get up start on a cup of coffee and do some fishing before (or for) breakfast. Cut-throat trout, pancakes and wild blue berries - with your second cup of coffee. That is the way you are supposed to live!

I love fresh trout, but really have not had FRESH since I lived in Munising MI and remember going to the local restaurant and ordering Lake Trout. This is an intense good memory. That trout had been swimming in Lake Superior that morning. It was a good sized thick one. I cannot even imagine how good fresh trout is for breakfast.

Well Angie, If I ever get to the point where I can hike in 12 miles I'll take you with me and we can have fresh trout and blueberry pancakes for breakfast. I'll probably get up first, so I'll make the coffee.

Oh, you poor child. When you get older you will appreciate the finer things in life.:ghostly:

I'm never going to get older!! I do like the smell of coffee just can't stand the taste. I'll have hot chocolate instead if its cold out. Otherwise its Dr Pepper for me.

Well Angie, If I ever get to the point where I can hike in 12 miles I'll take you with me and we can have fresh trout and blueberry pancakes for breakfast. I'll probably get up first, so I'll make the coffee.

Sounds good. I better start practicing my hiking. That sounds good. And you get to protect me from wild kritters.

I'm never going to get older!! I do like the smell of coffee just can't stand the taste. I'll have hot chocolate instead if its cold out. Otherwise its Dr Pepper for me.

Have you ever had warmed DP with a slice of lemon to give a squeeze in it? When I was young, that was popular when Mom would have tupperware parties. It's actually good.

Soft drinks are bad for you and coffee is very good for you. We do split a can of soda now and then though .

Hubby had some REALLY painful kidney stones twice. Passing one he turned pure grey! :ghostly:His mother sent him an article about coffee being good for kidney and desolving stones. He hasn't had a kidney stone in 21 years .
He drinks about 6 cups of coffee a day every since.:)

That's a genius idea with the coffee maker. I saw where someone cooks everything in a rice cooker too. Speaking of odd ball ways to cook..... I have a book called Manifold Destiny that is an old guide to cooking on your car engine. I still need to master that technique.

There are probably a few kitchen appliances that can be used to cook almost everything you want to eat. Any of them has their limitations. For some people, a microwave is all they use.

I saw a thing where a man lived very frugally. He put a couple holes in the top of his soup can and set it over the pilot light on his stove. When he went home for lunch, it was warm.

Myrtle Beach SC 1991 I worked at " expensive luxuary hotel on the beach ' as a maid for about 3 months mainly just to get out of the house.

If you seen what they do in some of those coffee pots you wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole! :ghostly:. And this is a very expensive luxury hotel on the beach. I use to get tears in my eyes just seeing occupants especially the old people walking down the halls knowing I couldn't protect them from all hygene the hazards.
It enforced my love for a tent for life! :camping::doghouse:

Best to stay where owners live on site,like a B%B owners take more pride in their place than big biz.

There would likely be no electricity in a SHTF situation or a few situations. I don't know when I lost ate ramen noodles, but I do have some in my preps. I think they would probably do as well as anything in a coffee pot.

If there's no electricity in a SHTF situation the carafe should still be useful for something.

I use a carafe to transfer water to or from my aquarium to a 5 gal bucket when needed.

Latest posts

Back