Cooking "Mystery" Meat.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Was gifted some mystery meat. Came frozen in "food saver" vacuum package and unmarked.

So frying, smothered in 1/2" of Cayenne. I have had good success with Cayenne on "Road Kill" in the past.

Was gifted some mystery meat. Came frozen in "food saver" vacuum package and unmarked.

So frying, smothered in 1/2" of Cayenne. I have had good success with Cayenne on "Road Kill" in the past.
It must be chicken.... at grandma's house everything was chicken, green legs that jump- chicken! Long and skinny with lots of bones- chicken!

I remember being a teenager with a ravenous appetite.
Came into the house greeted with the wonderful smell of supper cooking.
Asked my mom: "What's for supper? It smells great! "
"Barbecue"
Barbecue beef or pork?
Her answer: "Barbecue meat". It was fantastic!
The standing order was: If you shoot it and bring it home, you clean it, and you put it in the freezer.
She referred to them as UFO's (unidentified frozen objects).
We ate everything! I distinctly remember my brother shooting the biggest owl I have ever seen.
It did not get thrown away... and we never even knew when we ate it.
She was a fantastic cook and the 'troops' never went hungry :thumbs:.

Note: (don't bring home a beaver, no matter how impressively big it is)

It was good. Halibut. A super "ugly" fish that tastes very good. Abundant in Alaska waters.

I was given several packages........now that I know what it is I'll melt cheddar cheese on it......my personal favorite Halibut presentation. (With a side of cheap tequila)

We ate beaver. You must be a picky eater. Our new neighbors brought over dinner last month. It was cougar. That was a new one for me.
I guess I'm a picky eater.
I didn't say we didn't eat it, I was just suggesting to shoot something else instead.

We ate beaver. You must be a picky eater. Our new neighbors brought over dinner last month. It was cougar. That was a new one for me.
It’s good cooked slowly like a roast or something but tough (chewy) if you try to fry it.
I’ve never eaten beaver 🦫
It was good. Halibut. A super "ugly" fish that tastes very good. Abundant in Alaska waters.

I was given several packages........now that I know what it is I'll melt cheddar cheese on it......my personal favorite Halibut presentation. (With a side of cheap tequila)
When Hubby went to Alaska, he brought back 2 halibut of which he got 2 pieces. I oinked the rest. He likes salmon and I don’t so he got the salmon and I got the halibut - so delicious!

I've eaten Muskrat, Turtle, Black Bear, Rattlesnake, Alligator, Racoon, Possum, Moose , Elk , Deer , Rabbit , Squirrel, Pheasant ,Quail, Frog legs , Fish.

My favorite of all these ...would be a toss up between pheasant and Frog legs.

My least favorite would be a toss up between Possum and Rattlesnake.

Jim

I've eaten Muskrat, Turtle, Black Bear, Rattlesnake, Alligator, Racoon, Possum, Moose , Elk , Deer , Rabbit , Squirrel, Pheasant ,Quail, Frog legs , Fish.

My favorite of all these ...would be a toss up between pheasant and Frog legs.

My least favorite would be a toss up between Possum and Rattlesnake.

Jim
So, you never went dove hunting? I ain't buying that
NoDeal.gif

If anything good comes out of this thread, it should be that most wild and domestic animals out there are not only good to eat if cooked properly, but nutritious as well.

Sometimes it's better to tell people after they have eaten a meal that they called delicious, exactly what it was.
When I was young and went to a big boy-scout get together, they had a huge kettle of chili for us.
It was great, but the ground meat was a little chewy.
Since we raised beef cows, I asked the cook what meat that was since it wasn't beef.
His reply:
"You are the only one that noticed. It's horsemeat." :oops:

Last edited:
I've had mountain lion/cougar multiple times, but house cats are eaten regularly in many cultures. I've not had it 'that I know of' but know several who have and typically compare it to rabbit rather than mt. lion.
I've never eaten horse.

Grandpa and my dad were the best Muskrat trappers ever.
Their biggest accomplishment wast Snapping turtle ...big ones.

Muskrat great baked.
Turtle in stew.

Haven't had any in 50 years.

Jim

We had a fishing lake in Stone Mountain rented fishing boats,had 6 aluminum boats of them for our lake. Sometimes the fishermen would catch snapping turtles. The turtles would be snapping at their pants legs as they held them by the tails.Our lake was fed by natural springs ,very cold water creek,but lake was 45' deep so it was cold too.

We had a fishing lake in Stone Mountain rented fishing boats,had 6 aluminum boats of them for our lake. Sometimes the fishermen would catch snapping turtles. The turtles would be snapping at their pants legs as they held them by the tails.Our lake was fed by natural springs ,very cold water creek,but lake was 45' deep so it was cold too.
We ate lots of turtle soup. Tastes like chicken ;).
Before things were 'dangerous':
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/saltwater-vs-freshwater-fishing-gear.6413/post-177830
(And my brother is leaning over that far, for a very good reason :oops:)

We ate lots of turtle soup. Tastes like chicken ;).
Before things were 'dangerous':
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/saltwater-vs-freshwater-fishing-gear.6413/post-177830

Hubby ate lots of wild meat too. I never knew what was on the menu at his parents place. So I always ate before we visited. Of course he will come in handy in a shtf event though,he knows how to hunt and clean most wild meat. And if this city slicker gets hungry all bets are off for the tree rats and other varmits. :D

@Supervisor42 , yes I've hunted Dove and also Squab(pigeon)..and have eaten both...don't care for the really dark meat.
Also

Have tried Whistle Pig.... Like bear meat, too greasy.

Jim
If your bear was greasy, it wasn't done right :) Bear is hubby's favorite, but it has to be taken care of tediously -not like other game. The fat can/will go rancid even in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back