coon hunting lights

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've been wanting to get a head lamp on steroids. Been thinking about a hunting light from Nitelite. Some of them have a battery on the back of a hat or hardhat, some have a battery that is carried on the belt. The run time on high is about 20 hours, low beam 40 hours, the battery is rechargable.

The hat models weigh about 20 oz.

any thoughts?

The ones we had in New Mexico would run our roof, make tons of noise, pull a chicken through the chain link, and just take the head. Have seen alot of them dead on the road around here, and usually after corn was harvested near a field. Hawks, vultures, and possums are what I keep an eye out for at the moment.
We did have "the great duck disappearance" in NM. They would just disappear, one or two a night, right out of the run. No evidence. Could of been a person I guess.

this is light my grandfather like for night fishing on the river. i have both(he had 2 of them) these lights since his death but have yet to replace the dead batteries in them.what he done was used one of these on his side for use in tying hooks on baiting hooks etc. but used a dietz oil lantern sitting on bank away from him to cast light around.late in life he stopped using all forms of lanterns from propane to colemen fuel type just because of longevity and went back to simple oil lights over durability.

https://www.huntsmart.com/collections/light-systems/products/1091-wr

Last edited:
Do you use yours for night hunting or mainly chores?

i coonhunted a lot so i used them in hunting often all night. if i wanted a chore light only the hot light would not be it.its heavy and more than you need for that..i think. not had experience with these newer designed lights as i stopped hunting in mid 2000's with my hounds.

it talks about the hotlights head to about warming up the bulbs. you can blow them easy because of power from battery. i cant recall right now in my memory but it seems there was a bulb out there someone came up with to help this fact..but its foggy so not sure about it.

this light in link is a good light as well with standard nitelight head.i used them a lot as well.wouldnt bother me to use it again.its just when its extra dark ,or shining a pine or hemlock the extra light from the hotlight is a bonus .

https://www.huntsmart.com/collections/light-systems/products/1083

Hubby likes this cap with led light,
Bass Pro has curbside pickup too,

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-powercap-20-lighted-cap?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|Low|General&msclkid=f1527dea30d91bd04b2a2253037faaa2&gclid=f1527dea30d91bd04b2a2253037faaa2&gclsrc=3p.ds
1605973094805.png

I liked the look of this one, went online and found that it uses AAA batteries, I like that much better than those coin battery ones. Anyway I ordered one through Cabelas in Orange, it serves 2 functions that way, meets the orange requirements and gives me a light to walk in and out with. Thanks for posting, see we are listening.....

We are issued headlamps called "Nightstick" at work. They have a rubber headband and very strong hardware. The light is low profile and the battery pack is on the back of your head. The battery pack has a single orange LED you can turn on in blink mode, as a safety feature for night work. I've got no idea what they cost. They were designed specifically for railroaders, to our specifications, so I imagine they're not cheap, but they work very well, and they don't break...

We are issued headlamps called "Nightstick" at work. They have a rubber headband and very strong hardware. The light is low profile and the battery pack is on the back of your head. The battery pack has a single orange LED you can turn on in blink mode, as a safety feature for night work. I've got no idea what they cost. They were designed specifically for railroaders, to our specifications, so I imagine they're not cheap, but they work very well, and they don't break...
I did a little checking online and found that it's made by a company called Bayco and there is a version without the orange LED that you can order for $45-55.

Only dog lovers know the pain.....LOL

Saturday, June 7, 2014
Emmit the Coon Dog

There is something sacred to old moonlight hunters, and that is their dogs. They are upheld as idolic critters of the night, their eerie baying at unseen spirits of the dark, and noses that can sniff out a coon in the next county. At one time, we had thirteen of them, each named, each special, each with an inborn sense of finding that coon and treeing him. Benny loved to go out with the boys, they roamed the hillsides, the thickets, and valleys all over this county. Oh, the funny stories they would tell, each one boasting on his dog, but our friend Ray takes the cake. His old dog Emmit was one of the best around, and dearly envied by all of the coon hunters. Even old Sammy, with all of his trophies, did not compare to the skill old Emmit had in his nose. We ran into Ray and Ava at the cafe yesterday, and of course the stories began..and this one is surely one of the best….Ray, the dogs, and the rest of the guys went out hunting south of town, in the thick thickets, you can’t even squeeze through them, and they spent hours treeing the coons and taking care of the over-population of the night critters. They called the dogs in and all of them returned to the dog boxes except Old Emmit. Ray called and called, and became more distraught as the hours wore on, searched the tank to see if he was there, no Emmit, searched the surrounds, no Emmit, and finally, in the wee hours of the morning, and with a heavy heart, he made the distressing call to Ava…."Hon, we lost Emmit, can’t find him no where, I am going to stay out here till light, I gotta’ find him" Ava replied, "Well, you didn’t loose him, he’s right here with me, he came home about 10:30 PM"….and now the rest of the story…..Old Emmit had indeed taken off from the pack, and he ended up at some lady’s house. She found his name and phone number on his tags, and called Ava. She offered to bring the dog to her if Ava would meet her half-way, as she did not know how to find her house and it was dark. Ava drove down to the main highway and waited for the lady to bring Old Emmit home. The lady turned the dog over to her and told the funny story of bringing Emmit back home. She stated that Emmit knew every turn of the road, and if she made the wrong turn, he would start barking at her, she would retrace her route and continue on, and he would wag his tail. Ray now has a big brag……"My dog not only knows how to hitch-hike, he knows how to tell them to get to my house !"

I know I am late to the party but I picked up one of these and I figured I would give my report. The light is built into the bill and has 2 AAA batteries in the rim, the light is bright and great for working in the dark. I like it to work in the garden till after dark.

But, if you are trying to navigate in the dark, the light has a very broad beam and while it is bright you can't see anything that is more than 10 yards away, so it is not good if you are trying to walk from bright eye to bright eye or from one way point to another. But it would be good for field dressing a deer in the dark.

I hunt on average three nights a week and I have a superior light “hellcat” it’s one of the best lights I’ve ever had. I’ve had several different ones over the years and I have zero complaints with it. It holds a charge for a bout two and a half weeks worth of hunting If you’re just looking if for just the light they have other models as well that are a lil cheaper The hellcat has hi and low walk light and high and low spot light along with red green and amber light.
3C585241-12EF-4127-A449-7D9C344F5C90.png

I don’t know what your looking to spend but for as much as I use mine the superior is awesome. If you’re looking for Justin good light I also have a chief hunting light It only has hi/med/low spot light but on a budget they are great too they guy makes chief lights here in Seymour Tennessee and can be had for around 100$. I’ve had several wheat lamps over the years and in there time they were great but wouldn’t hold a charge more then a hint or two. LED is the way to go now days much brighter and longer lasting battery life

I know I am late to the party but I picked up one of these and I figured I would give my report. The light is built into the bill and has 2 AAA batteries in the rim, the light is bright and great for working in the dark. I like it to work in the garden till after dark.

But, if you are trying to navigate in the dark, the light has a very broad beam and while it is bright you can't see anything that is more than 10 yards away, so it is not good if you are trying to walk from bright eye to bright eye or from one way point to another. But it would be good for field dressing a deer in the dark.

Hubby likes it to work on things like when he rebuilt that truck engine .

I don’t know what your looking to spend but for as much as I use mine the superior is awesome. If you’re looking for Justin good light I also have a chief hunting light It only has hi/med/low spot light but on a budget they are great too they guy makes chief lights here in Seymour Tennessee and can be had for around 100$. I’ve had several wheat lamps over the years and in there time they were great but wouldn’t hold a charge more then a hint or two. LED is the way to go now days much brighter and longer lasting battery life

Have be be careful of not looking directly into to LED but I sgree hubby has one on his cap,not like yours but its ok,nice light Bluetic

I know all about looking in to it. My son has one like it he hunts with me every time I’m out and he has yet to remember he has a giant headlight on his head when he turns to ask me something haha

Latest posts

Back