Coop pictures

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
20161216_171834.jpg
20170128_151457_001.jpg
Share you coop pictures if you'd like to.

@NannyPatty the coop I plan to build will resemble yours maybe smaller. For the run I'm going to use rabbit wire in hopes of keeping chicken snakes out of the laying boxes. Also hope it will be a barrier against rats and mice. If anyone has experience with my idea I'd like to hear your feedback good,bad or indifferent. NannyPatty you have a nice setup.

Thank you, Alwaysready! We started quite a bit smaller and with just the smaller coop. What you're seeing is the product of around 4 years. The hubs just kept adding on and the run got bigger and bigger. We daon't garden anywhere as much as we used to, because it's just me and him at home. The building on the right is the nesting area and the metal building is for roosting only. Our run has weld wire AND chicken wire all around the lower area and chicken wire around the top and over the top. It also has a rock footing wire about 18 in of chicken wire buried to keep preds from digging in. The only thing that can get in is a snake. They can't be prevented. They get a shot gun shell...
The only time we loose o e is when they're outside the coop and run.

I don't post pictures, but I use my horse barn for a coop. It is 40 x 60 with 14 box stalls I can use to separate out various groups plus the barn ally for a winter run. I don't put the horses in the barn, unless there is freezing rain. When I do, the chickens roost on them. For summer I use little A frame chicken tractors out in the cow pastures. They free range during the day and get locked in at night. The chickens learn to stay near the cows who do not allow varmints near their calves.

@NannyPatty the coop I plan to build will resemble yours maybe smaller. For the run I'm going to use rabbit wire in hopes of keeping chicken snakes out of the laying boxes. Also hope it will be a barrier against rats and mice. If anyone has experience with my idea I'd like to hear your feedback good,bad or indifferent. NannyPatty you have a nice setup.

You'll have to use the baby saver wire, regular rabbit cage wire won't stop mice and small rats. We've had problems with them in our rabbit cages.

Last edited:
IMG_20180113_071250.jpg
We are building now! Our coop will be similar to this. Color and. All since it matches our pole barn. We are following prince woods plans. It will be finished and ready for chickens by march-april. Maybe ready sooner then that but that's when I want to actually begin chicken housing.

Eta: this is not our coop...I found this pic online

View attachment 2592 We are building now! Our coop will be similar to this. Color and. All since it matches our pole barn. We are following prince woods plans. It will be finished and ready for chickens by march-april. Maybe ready sooner then that but that's when I want to actually begin chicken housing.

Eta: this is not our coop...I found this pic online

That will be nice!! Be sure and put wire down under it or a concrete slab to prevent preds from digging under.

The walk-incoop itself is close to 20 years old. The chain link panels and netting over the run were installed 4 years ago.

P1020198.JPG

Last winter we had to replace 3 of them when a dead pine tree came crashing down in the wind.

I really should have taken that thing down in the summer. :angie:

P1020085.JPG

Oh my!!! Hope you didn't loose any critters!!

Nope. They usually stay inside when it's cold and windy. Some of the smaller branches it the coop itself but they just disintegrated when they hit the building.

To give you an idea how cold it was.

P1020088.JPG

And this is all that was on the roof.

P1020090.JPG

Proof that building solid will pay off in the long run.

I saw that hot wire in another pic and thought it was for the chicken pen which led me to think you must have bear in the area.

Proof that building solid will pay off in the long run.

I saw that hot wire in another pic and thought it was for the chicken pen which led me to think you must have bear in the area.

The building was here when we got here and yeah, it's pretty sturdy. Ugly, but sturdy. :)

The wire is for the horse and donkey's. They try to move the panels to get to the chicken feed. It also keeps them out of the pond.

We built a greenhouse/chicken coop combo. It has an inside coop and a screened in porch, exterior access nesting box, clean out drawer and large access door.
This was the first coop built for laying chickens....then the girls got into raising Bantams....uggggh. coop two had to be built...Thats another set of pics.

nestingside.jpg

maintenancedoor.jpg

Attachments

• coopyard.jpg
    coopyard.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 12
That's a setup to be proud of.

Thanks! I have to say that the clean out drawer isnt really needed. I usually just roll a wheelbarrow up to the big access door and shovel it out with a flat shovel. Then turn and dump it right into the garden behind me and till it in. Linoleum floor is nice in the coop...makes shovel out pretty easy.

IMG_20160426_124027.jpg

Different setup for me, but the same. I'd pull the tractor up to the man door and use the same thing, a corn shovel. Then dump the tractor bucket in the garden.

I had no clue what it was called, I saw it somewhere in some store and saw how useful it would be shoveling out the coop. A person who knew about stuff like that told me what it was.

Yep, that's it. That short handle is pretty helpful too.

Pen (1).jpg
Pen (2).jpg
Roost (1).jpg
Roost (2).jpg
Roost (3).jpg
Roost (4).jpg
I tried to build a pen that was low maintenance and adaptable to any number of hens or situation.

The main pen is on a slight slope. I never have to shovel manure. Every time it rains it washes down across my pasture. I also use a soda flat as a screen across the main drain. 3 sides of the main pen are chicken wire, the 4th is my hay barn. It is easy to open the pen to get a tractor inside for maintenance, another 10ft section of chain link, just clip 4 wires and remove.

My roost is 10x10x6 chain link fencing. I put hardware cloth on the outside bottom edge. It has a double layer of chicken wire over the top covered by a tarp. It gets a new tarp every spring. It’s moveable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back