Coop pictures

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My laying boxes are separate and moveable. I use flats that soda’s come in. They are heavy duty. I soak them in Clorox twice a year and give them a good scrubbing. I use golf balls in the nests. They encourage laying and kill chicken snakes. Sometimes when I move hay I'll find a snake skeleton with a golf ball inside it.

Also, I can take the whole layer apart for a good scrubbing and a good coat of diatomaceous earth any time. Fire ants are a big problem when an egg gets broken which always happens. The DE usually takes care of them but if they get too bad I can drag the layer elsewhere.

Nest boxes (1).jpg
Nest boxes (2).jpg
Nest boxes (3).jpg

Last edited:
There is another benefit I wasn’t aware of when I built the pen. In the photos of the laying boxes you can see an eastern red cedar tree (Juniperus virginiana). It is a highly medicinal tree. One year I noticed the berries from the tree falling in the chicken water. A few weeks later I saw that their overall heath and appearance improved noticeably. I asked a few of my herbal friends who had livestock about this. Now I always put the berries in their water! I haven’t had a sick chicken in years.

There is another benefit I wasn’t aware of when I built the pen. In the photos of the laying boxes you can see an eastern red cedar tree (Juniperus virginiana). It is a highly medicinal tree. One year I noticed the berries from the tree falling in the chicken water. A few weeks later I saw that their overall heath and appearance improved noticeably. I asked a few of my herbal friends who had livestock about this. Now I always put the berries in their water! I haven’t had a sick chicken in years.

I think our cedars are red. anything good about them?

I think our cedars are red. anything good about them?

Do they look like this? If so yes, a beneficial tree. The little berries are blue but covered by a white powder. The whiteish powder is yeast, you can make bread with it. You might have to try the powder from several trees before finding one that works well for bread.

Other than that the tree has an ancient history of helping all sorts of medical issues, even diabetes. :)
Cedar sm 071_v1.jpg

Do they look like this? If so yes, a beneficial tree. The little berries are blue but covered by a white powder. The whiteish powder is yeast, you can make bread with it. You might have to try the powder from several trees before finding one that works well for bread.

Other than that the tree has an ancient history of helping all sorts of medical issues, even diabetes. :)View attachment 3985

I've never seen a berry on them so must not be that kind. Or maybe they are missign somethign to make them produce?

Well I wish I could find a female somewhere. I'll have to take a walk on the wild side and see if any are in the woods.

Peanut, how can there be so many male plants and trees and no females here? same thing with muscadines, not a female to be found. There is an old vie here must be at least a few hundred yers old but no muscadine on it. Could it be missing something?

This one is 400 yr old.

Last edited:
Peanut, how can there be so many male plants and trees and no females here? same thing with muscadines, not a female to be found. There is an old vie here must be at least a few hundred yers old but no muscadine on it. Could it be missing something?

Muscadines are a little different. Both male and female vines produce muscadines. Sometimes the vines are hermaphroditic having both male and female flowers.

Maybe your male trees drink to much beer and forget to bathe? :D

Last edited:
Well I wish I could find a female somewhere. I'll have to take a walk on the wild side and see if any are in the woods.

This one is 400 yr old.

Around here bearing mulberries were banned because of the mess so even though there are tons of them planted they are pretty useless except for shade. Maybe the females were pulled out because of something similar.

Other than that the tree has an ancient history of helping all sorts of medical issues, even diabetes. :)View attachment 3985

I'm saving this pict. I'm pretty sure we have those all over our mountain place.

I think they are red cedars.

Around here bearing mulberries were banned because of the mess so even though there are tons of them planted they are pretty useless except for shade. Maybe the females were pulled out because of something similar.

They did bare fruit a couple seasons, but I think with the chickens running all over the yard especially under the that tree, it stopped them from fruiting. Too much nitrogen. We moved the fence to give them more free range area. :dunno:

I have a bunch of these growing along our fence line .

As anyone in the NE or Mid-Atlantic area knows, We've had some wicked wind for a couple days. The panels for the chicken run took a beating overnight but the old, ugly coop is still standing. The pics are a little washed out because the sun had just come up over the hill and was shining at the camera.

P1030269.JPG

P1030270.JPG

As anyone in the NE or Mid-Atlantic area knows, We've had some wicked wind for a couple days. The panels for the chicken run took a beating overnight but the old, ugly coop is still standing. The pics are a little washed out because the sun had just come up over the hill and was shining at the camera.

View attachment 4796

View attachment 4797

Our pens got it last year when all the hurricanes and storms came trough.
Haven't had chickens in a bout 3 years or more so till we got these peeps we did't really notice the damage.
But not really bad just a few caved in places so not much damage considering the hurricane force winds.
One 16X16 pen and 2 8X30 pens. way too much pen fro 4 hens but there if we need them I guess.

WeUORHD.jpg

WvSRwBt.jpg

Latest posts

Back