Coping With Vision Loss

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State AGencies for the bind and/or disabled

has everyone checked their own state for state agencies that offer forms of assistence for the disabled and blind? here in CO they offer a few things to help to learn ohw to adjust hook you up with orgs that will drive you for free to get your groceries, etc and other programs.

for example::

Business Enterprise Program
This is a program providing priority for people who are blind to operate and manage food, vending, and other business services in federal and state government office buildings and properties. The Business Enterprise Program (BEP) trains and places eligible legally blind entrepreneurs to manage operations in these buildings plus some privately owned facilities.

Older Individuals Who Are Blind
The Older Individuals Who Are Blind (OIB) program is a federally funded grant program that provides independent living services to persons age 55 or older and who are blind or visually impaired. Eligible persons are provided assistance in learning new strategies for accomplishing daily tasks and participating in family and community activities. Most persons served in this program have become blind or visually impaired in their later years. Independent Living services include advocacy, information and referral, cross-disability peer counseling and independent living skills training, as well as other services that assist individuals to maintain or regain independence and participation in their communities.

Howard Fund
The Howard Fund was made for the sole purpose of helping Coloradans with low vision or blindness increase their independence and ability to participate in all aspects of life. Mrs. Howard's generosity established The Howard Fund.

Resources

Sounds like some good org.s.
Right now I pretty know where everything is in the house and I'm careful inside unfamilia dim lit places which lately I don't go out antway so no problem,

Library of Congress FREE braille or audio books for the blind

i signed up for this long timebach. i preferred the audio. they sent me a free audio book cartridge thingy. its shaped like a big cassette machibne. it has very easy bright raised buttons for play fast, reverse, stop, etc. every month they send a form to select the books you want and they ship out the audio book cartridges . id listen then ship back in postage paid envelope and theyd send the next batch. i ended up preferring my kindle ebook reader but this might help some people. i think one mught be able to just call a phone number to order books but im not sure.

https://www.loc.gov/nls/

Library of Congress FREE braille or audio books for the blind

i signed up for this long timebach. i preferred the audio. they sent me a free audio book cartridge thingy. its shaped like a big cassette machibne. it has very easy bright raised buttons for play fast, reverse, stop, etc. every month they send a form to select the books you want and they ship out the audio book cartridges . id listen then ship back in postage paid envelope and theyd send the next batch. i ended up preferring my kindle ebook reader but this might help some people. i think one mught be able to just call a phone number to order books but im not sure.

https://www.loc.gov/nls/

Right now we will just do what we have to which is plenty but it is a good idea to learn. I like to listen to radio but was renting audio books at library for awhile to go to sleep by.

Sounds like some good org.s.
Right now I pretty know where everything is in the house and I'm careful inside unfamilia dim lit places which lately I don't go out antway so no problem,

i know what you mean about dim lit areas , i avoid them. in my hpome everything is memorized and i get around pretty well. take me somewhere and its a whole new ballgame-too many opportunities to slip, trip, fall.

solar light bulbs on amazon, 2 pk $30, now has discount. sorry tried to copy and paste the link but nothing shows up, so here is the photo
1608577552041.png

i know what you mean about dim lit areas , i avoid them. in my hpome everything is memorized and i get around pretty well. take me somewhere and its a whole new ballgame-too many opportunities to slip, trip, fall.

I'm actually pretty good for now can see ok for what I have to do. But may need to do someting later so need to prepare. do want a cane for walking in yard and steps.and night lights too.

Jazzy,
Something that might be of help with your computer. There are lighted keyboards among the "Gamer keyboards" that let you select the color of the letters and symbols on the keys. they are full sized keyboards and have audio player controls for volume and track controls.
I bought one because my wife likes to exclude sunlight and my eyes are old enough that the keyboard really helps. They even have some outrageously bright neon colors. Mine is a Logitec G213.

Jazzy,
Something that might be of help with your computer. There are lighted keyboards among the "Gamer keyboards" that let you select the color of the letters and symbols on the keys. they are full sized keyboards and have audio player controls for volume and track controls.
I bought one because my wife likes to exclude sunlight and my eyes are old enough that the keyboard really helps. They even have some outrageously bright neon colors. Mine is a Logitec G213.

thank you so much! i will definitely look in to that, it could be a real help. my nephew is a computer geek i will ask him to help me with looking at this.
thank you again!

jazzy

Has any of you tried Castor Oil for cataracts or eye problems?
I bought some USDA Organic Castor Oil from Sky Organics .Also used IQNatural castor Oil. Bottle says it is good for eyelah and eyebrow hair growth.
I've used it a bout times since Sept.2019.But didn't finish the treatment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IQ-Natur...-007-1768c3ee719d75&athancid=null&athena=trueQ Natural, 100% Organic Pure Castor Oil, 30ml, Boost Growth for Eyelashes, Hair, Eyebrows
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/sho...c0ec7032&gclsrc=3p.ds&type=REGULAR&quantity=1

Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil Eyelash Serum

Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil Eyelash Serum #1
59824946_000_b

59824946_000_d

$13.00
Available on orders $35.00–$2,000.00 by
See all Sky Organics

Has any of you tried Castor Oil for cataracts or eye problems?
I bought some USDA Organic Castor Oil from Sky Organics .Also used IQNatural castor Oil. Bottle says it is good for eyelah and eyebrow hair growth.
I've used it a bout times since Sept.2019.But didn't finish the treatment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IQ-Natur...-007-1768c3ee719d75&athancid=null&athena=trueQ Natural, 100% Organic Pure Castor Oil, 30ml, Boost Growth for Eyelashes, Hair, Eyebrows
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/sho...c0ec7032&gclsrc=3p.ds&type=REGULAR&quantity=1
Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil Eyelash Serum #1
59824946_000_b

59824946_000_d

$13.00
Available on orders $35.00–$2,000.00 by
See all Sky Organics

ive heard of this but have not tried it.

ive heard of this but have not tried it.

I tried and the first time it did seem like I could see better.Then I tried it a couple months later and no difference. But I never did do it the recommended time which was 3 nights .I did it one night to test and make sure it didn't hurt.
I think I'll go the whole 3 nights soon and see of it helps my so called cataracts. I may have cataracts but they don't come on like these did but then doctors were trying to hide the fact they told me to take Lisinpril to lower BP that was 243/127. So I took it and had a stroke that caused my partial blindness.Doctor said lucky it didn't kill me bringing it down so fast I should have been admitted and brought down slowly under IV. Then eye dr told me to see nero surgion because of stroke and see if brain damanged dr told me in broken english You no have No Stroooooooke and you no need no nero surgionnn.So this is where I'm at now no doctor sense except for assembly line stent freak. One was clinic other heart speicalist group.2 yr since any blood work, to test got off drug plavix that almost killed me with side effects after 3 weeks,Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Also, I am not suing or even thinking about suing anone so this has nothing to do with this. Just [issed at them for being so bad. Ans thene peopel tell me nurses and doctors won't lie in groups ,my ass!
Of course many maybe most dr.s are good but seems they are like many people some today not what they use to be. My last eye dr seems like a good dr and hope this new heart dr is ok I see Friday.

My Grandma had a potion she made for Grandpa. It didn't help his eyesight and it burned like fire.
I asked what was in it and one of the ingredients was cayenne pepper. I didn't ask any more questions. You had to watch those old Arkies, they could do more damage than good.
Dr. John Christopher had come up with a mix of herbs with eyebright herb in it, cayenne was included, for using against cataracts and other eye health issues. I've never used it since I haven't had eye issues. Herbal Eyebright

anyone try C-60 oil? some timeback i heard of a doctor that was treating vision patients with C-60 for mac degeneration and supposedly it took 2 yrs of taking it daily and it did reduce eye damage. so it was said. ive seen that C-60 is good for several things. kinda pricey but maybe im just cheep.

I have to also grt ovr the anger and stop whining about it I know that isn't helping anything.

Problem is I am now afriad of doctors and still doesn't make snse that I have cataracts since stroke. Last I reserached cataracts don't just happen over night or from trama.
My eyes don't seem to be worse since patiual vision loss Sept 26th,2019 so it is frustrating. All doctors want to see records from last doctors and I don't want a second opnion verified by the last 'opinions'.
Anyone have any ideas?

I don't want a second opnion verified by the last 'opinions'
I agree with you. I don't want to give someone the answers to the test before he tries to get his own answers.
My wife got a second opinion and we found out the second doctor consulted with the first doctor and came up with the exact diagnosis. They were both wrong and I made sure to let them know when we got the correct diagnosis.

Latest posts

Back